Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY+ Reviews, problems etc

Options
  • 04-07-2003 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I'm going up the north tomorrow to get a sky+ box.

I wasn't going to get it originally, but have now succumbed.

We can post our reviews, problems, needs, wish lists etc in here to help everyone else decide if they want it, should upgrade the disk etc.

So, anyone got any reviews yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

There is very little on the web to do with Sky+ because it is UK based but here is the best link for anything and everything for Sky+, yet again.

www.plusworld.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

ShaneOC gives a review of it in this thread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100587

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Grayarea

I have been using Sky+ now for about 2 weeks.

General thoughts;

Live rewind is great :) I used it to catch the begining of the England Australia rugby match that I didn't get back in time for.

Sky+ planner needs some work, folders would be great, even with the standard 40Gb drive it is easy to get two+ pages of recorded and waiting to record entries.

On my V2 box series links need to work reliably, I setup Babalon-5 on Bravo and it stopped linking on Monday for no apparent reason.

Recording has so far worked 100% OK

I am probably not into it enough to really want dual recording yet, but it would be nice.

One small issue is recording two programs that run after each other. At the moment you cannot do this, Simsons on Sky 1 is a good example of this problem.

Overall I am very happy :)

The issues that I have raised are to me, minor. But it can allways be better with the help of the Sky+ Devs.

Grayarea.

PS Tomorrow the 40Gb drive is up for eviction! I have the Maxtor 120Gb 6Y120P0 with quiet mode on and write verfy off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

As yet ,I hav'nt used it enough to give a full opinion, but so far i find it excellent. Its the most user friendly piece of equipment on the market. My wife can even work it, she could never work a VCR!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I've ordered one of those hard drives too.
    How to you turn quiet mode on and write verify off. Is there software that comes with the HD or is it just jumpers that change the settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Grayarea

If you look on the Maxtor site for utilities, there is two dos programs for setting these options. Just hook up the drive to a PC and run the programs :)

I found a link on Digital Spy but I am sure you can find them on the Maxtor site.

Grayarea.

I had my first recording failure this pm. I recorded( I thought) Corrie on TV3. When I went to play it from Sky+ planner ,it just said' failed 'to record, the problem is, I dont know why

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    I had my first recording failure this pm. I recorded( I thought) Corrie on TV3. When I went to play it from Sky+ planner ,it just said' failed 'to record, the problem is, I dont know why

Yes I'm answering my own thread, I've discovered that after you press the R buttom, make sure that the Sky + planner shows up with the R beside what you are about to record, sometimes a clock sign appears, press R again till it appears. For safety sake always check the Sky + planner

Got it and must say I'm impressed.
    I didnt think it would be as good as it is.
    You just mark all of your programs and then watch them when you want.
    Pause live tv an rewind are great.
    I have a new hard-drive on order and will upgrade as soon as it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did you buy the box from the North, Daithi? How much did you pay?

- Dave.

• Advertisement

It was £249.
    We bought 1 each and they wouldn't give us a discount.
    I was told if i got it last week it would have been £199.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I got mine in currys in Lisburn for 179stg. Be aware there is no quad LNB's in the box from these high street stores. I haggled a 10% discount out of them because I insisted on opening the box in the store. Also they will tell you that you have to sign a contract to get the box. This is not true. I had to go as far as to ring sky in the shop so they could confirm this to the shop assistant. Good luck.
    Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Guy was due out today to install sky plus and relocate existing box, firstly he was an hour and a half late, considered myself lucky having heard other complaints!
    but when he eventually got here, said he couldnt do the install, because all numbers bar local calls were barred! OK i understand that, called eircom, and they said they would have it fixed within 30min, but he wouldnt even then do the install and afterward do the call back! he left and re booked the install, another 2 weeks (a grand total of a month)
    surely enough 5min after he left all calls accessible!

You're gonna have problems always with Sierra.
    I was talking to my next door neighbour last night.
    She told me about 2 weeks ago her sky couldn't pick up any channels.
    She got Sierra out and they told her that she needed a new digibox and that would be 200 odd euro or so. She told them to come back after she talked to her boyfriend about it.
    They are due out this week with the new box.
    I have a friend who knows a lot about satelite dishes, who happened to be in my house when she called in, so he said he would have a look. I have a spare digibox so i was going to give it to her.
    My friend installed the box for her and then came to the conclusion it was the dish.
    Up he went and moved the dish and her signal was back. So he tried her 'broken' box and it worked perfectly.
    I'ld hate to be sky or sierra when she rings them today :)

Advertisement