Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paper recycling

Options
  • 30-06-2003 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I started a paper recycling scheme in the national public arts institution where i work. The amount of paper waste being generated daily used to really annoy me over the years and i made a suggestion to the relevant senior staff a few months ago about the possiblity of our paper waste being collected by a paper recycling company. they said this was fine if i was prepared to do the research which i did. This involved a lot of work meeting with representatives from different companies and showing them around the whole instiution etc.
    I finally put a proposal to senior managment about the company i felt was best value and met our needs etc. they said fine and i contacted the company.
    This took up quite a lot of my time and was not related to my job at all as i work in one of the academic departments, but every time i tried to get this point accross to management, i got the impression that if i wasn't prepared to manage the whole operation then nobody else would bother either!
    I personally think this is disgraceful, they're willing to put the money into it but won't accept any responsiblity. I'd say that a few hours a week of my time are spent emptying consoles, ringing the company to organise collections and getting hassle from other departments when their consoles are full etc.
    I'm really busy at the moment as i have to take over the management of my department and i'm also working on a masters dissertation. the last thing i need is to be running amok with rubbish bags!
    Does this seem fair, that as i was the one who wanted this in the beginning that i will have to accept responsiblity as long as i work there?
    Ta
    AJ

:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Nah, it doesn't seem fair in the least.

I'm sure there are some environmentally minded individuals like yourself knocking around campus.

Have you thought of putting up some posters, asking for some help in keeping the recycling going, something that would have to happen, once you had finished your masters 'anyway'.

That'd be my first suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

It is unfair. Bit this is the culture here in Ireland. Waste managemnet has always been an SEP here (someone elses problem).

Until you make your collegues/management see that it is their problem and in their interests that you will get the help you need. There was a news story a while back about the amount UL were saving by recycling. Maybe you could throw that at your bosses and see how they react.

I'd also like to have a look at your proposal. I'm really interested in seeing what ideas you came up with. If u want u can mail it to me at keeks@boards.ie

Advertisement