Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon Interactive GONE!

Options
  • 30-06-2003 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Im disgusted
    We had it last week in ireland, why not this week.....

Bad form

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

CANCEL THAT.

it's just come back!

But it was "This Service is not available in Eire"

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

This is so annoying. It was great having the doubles matches on late in the evenings after the regular service had finished. What do the BBC gain from doing this.

I am disgusted:mad:

It has not came back for me.

The message displayed on a green screen is 'This service is not available in the Republic of Ireland'

Ye it's gone again.!
    was back there for a sec.
    Such a load of crap!

Might come back again.... nah

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is it Sky or BBC that has blocked it?

BBC News24 still there.

It would be one thing if it hadn't been there at all, but to deliver it in ROI for a week and then block it 10 days before FTA is someone being VERY petty...

"The folks in Wales will get a weaker signal because they are watching in Ireland. We better block it..."

Nah no-ones that stupid.

I bet BBC claims it is up to Sky and Sky claims it is up to BBC...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

And so it came to pass that after great deliberation between the Dykemyster and his men that on the tenth day of the Month of July in the year of our lord 2003, that Irish people could view the BBC unencrypted.
    Dyke is a God. A lesser being would have entered the 'freeloading Irish' (Digital Spy speak) into the equation at the top of the list of problems. But Dyke put us into the equation and to his credit got a zero result.
    Ok the tennis Interactive is blocked, but in less than two weeks time we will all be getting something great....for absolutely nothing. Fair play Dyke.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

You can get Wimbledon Interactive on a FTA card if you have one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Interestingly at the same time the Wimbledon stopped working Challenge interactive wasn't available and some of GO PLAY TV games were free ???

On an encryption note WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE is also not available in IRELAND but it works when you reboot an upsidedown card ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i hate whoever did this. i was watching Agassi when that prat Tim Henman took over. now i can only see him. my FTV card is somewhere between here and the south west of England.

Welcome To Tim Henman TV :mad:

I was on to the Customer (non)Service people.(The Scottish acent ones)

This fella siad to me
    " Iv got on to my collage at BBC and they say that they have had to discontinue the interactive sevice in Your Area , thats all i know"

SCUM is all they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Ridiculous, I was just praising the coverage over the weekend to non-digital people then this happens, we're now ultimately going to be watching the Tim Henman Wimbledon Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

And if he does win it, we'll not hear the end of it, not until the Sports Personality of the Year in December, anyway..... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by DMC
    And if he does win it, we'll not hear the end of it, not until the Sports Personality of the Year in December, anyway..... :rolleyes:

/me roffles! :D:D

Heheh!

Originally posted by DMC

if he does win i'll be avoiding Grandstand like the plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Lads, don't worry too much . There is absolutely no chance Mr Henman will win Wimbledon this year or any year. He's a good player but there is always someone that bit better in the tournament. What we need to hope for is that one or two Irish players come from somewhere and that RTE do a "Tour de France" and show Wimbledon in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Looks like the BBC are removing all non-essential services from Ireland... BBC World gone from EPG, interactive services blocked etc.

Maybe they are hoping that BBC Worldwide can do another deal with Sky to add the rest of their services to the Irish EPG (BBC3, BBC4, radio stations etc).

If Sky see enough people complaing about a cut back service to Ireland, they will probably start negotiating a deal.

...oh by the way - has anybody got an email address for BBC Worldwide? (they guys that originally did the deal to allow BBC1 and BBC2 on the Irish EPG).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

A few thoughts:

There could be a rights issue preventing Wimbledon from being shown here. Last week could hae been a mistake on the BBC's part.

It may be that the BBC will continue to be able to block services to ROI even after encryption stops. But if this is the case, an upside-down card should do the trick - a bit annoying for people who continue to subscribe, however.

Personally speaking, I'm not that bothered, because I want Henman to win, but I can understand that fans of other players might be a bit miffed.

Note that the Human Senses interactive thing last night did work here, although it kept bombing out for me every time I selected an answer. I assume this was because it is on Astra 2D (I often get channel unavailble messages on the ROI channels and BBC).

I seriously doubt that it's a rights issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Do interactive features work on channels that are tuned in on other channels?

• Advertisement

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

No, there is no interactive features available through other channels.

Somebody put the plug back in Wimbledon Interactive available today. I did not get a reply from an e-mail I wrote to BBC yesterday but perhaps somebody in the Beeb was listening.

Hip Hip Horray:D :D

Ye back again.!

But by the time im finished writing this and gone back into the tv , it could be gone.

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Pity it came back when the play was suspended:rolleyes:

BTW did anyone else have a problem with the HUMAN SENSES TEST on BBCi last night if you got the answer right the "there is a problem with your viewing card" came up and you had to exit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by johnnyq
    Pity it came back when the play was suspended:rolleyes:

BTW did anyone else have a problem with the HUMAN SENSES TEST on BBCi last night if you got the answer right the "there is a problem with your viewing card" came up and you had to exit :mad:

Yes - in the end, I just left it on and didn't press any buttons. I assumed it was because I have problems with Astra 2D anyway, but may it was something else.

I have two questions:

1. Did it work in the UK?
    2. How long could you stand on one leg?

Originally posted by Richard
    Note that the Human Senses interactive thing last night did work here, although it kept bombing out for me every time I selected an answer. I assume this was because it is on Astra 2D (I often get channel unavailble messages on the ROI channels and BBC).
    The human senses thing was a brilliant example of what BBC i is.
    the fact that you are directed to a message explaining where you were right or wrong in each question that is.

Regarding Wimbledon, it may well , technically be a rights issue, in which case, we should love bomb RTE with our letters of disgust as well, presuming they have the Irish rights to those games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the BBC becomes FTA, it will appear in the default epg without a card and have a red button to direct one anonmously to it's interactive service.
    If so tiz a bit silly , bordering on petty to be blocking wimbledon interactive on Irish cards.
    If however you need some sort of card generated EPG to have a red button appear, then we're flummoxed...( don't think thats the case with Sky news with no card at present is it)
    mm

maybe the BBC want us to watch Tim Henman so they block access to all other games on the days that he plays. i'll have to go to German telly if this happens again

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    maybe the BBC want us to watch Tim Henman so they block access to all other games on the days that he plays. i'll have to go to German telly if this happens again

Well done! Thats original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Interactive working again on "Today at Wimbledon" on BBC2NI ...

Advertisement