Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One final thread on FTV Cards

Options
  • 27-06-2003 9:46pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was on to the BBC to order a new FTV card and while on to them I made a few enquiries, regarding their switch over to FTA.
    Here is what I was told and the main dates in Question...

I asked when the were stopping giving out FTV cards July 1st

They are stopping activating the cards on July 10th.

And finally, they will be going FTA on July 30th

So I got this confirmed from two different people so there you have it.

I also raised the issue about existing cardholders and how they would be fixed and the response was that they would remain as they are. So no change there. I asked if that included the old type cards and they replied YES but they could not be so sure about ex sub cards.

When I asked about receiving the other channels in the future (after FTV scheme ends) they mentioned that to receive CH4 and Five (and presumably ITV as they don’t answer questions about them) you would need to have your receiver connected up to the phone line to get these channels. This I am not convinced about.

So from this I would presume that all existing BBC FTC cards holders would be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Where you "on to" the BBC or the FTV Call centre.
    The BBC only ever gave out BBC cards for BBC Prime (still does).

The FTV cards are produced, issued and owned (always) by BskyB/NDS/Sky.

The British P.O. ran the call centre originally (though Sky actually issued the cards).

Then Sky got the contract to run Call Centre.

FTV scheme running costs are in several pieces:
    1) Cost of Encryption
    2) Regional coding if any (only Five doesn't use regional Coding)
    3) Possibly cost of cards (maybe 1 or 2 Euro "real cost" per card)
    4) Cost of Issuing a Card.
    5) Cost of running call centre.

The BBC paid for MOST of (5) running the Call Centre, Five paid a little. ITV & Ch4 none at all.

ITV got (1) free for ITV2 which is why it is in Family pack and not FTV.

RTE & TV3 arn't on any FTV card scheme as they get encryption free, (and in RTE case Carriage) so Sky puts them whatever price / pack it likes.

Five has renewed its Contract, but won't pay more for (5). ITV and C4 won't pay at all, so FTV centre is closing. So cards can't be issued.

This does not affect existing cards, except there is only Sky Call centre to ring if it is not working right. (which is in reality the same place as FTV call centre). Sky are generally not very helpfull if you don't have a subscription!

BBC will be FTA from 10th July.

FTV cards will continue to work in any box for ITV, C4 and Five

BBC Regional English EPG for Subscription card holders will be sorted on 30 July.

In longer term no-one really knows how someone with a Digibox (new or S/H) is supposed to get FTV ITV, C4, Five. Certinally taking a sub and cancelling (which may be possible for as little as a month if the Box is NOT subsidised, or over 1 year installed.). Then the FTV channels should still work.

But probabily no-one will really know what is happening till Autumn. It looks more definate that ITV will be FTA too next year and Five and C4 won't.

Don't expect any change with RTE at all in next 5 years unless RTE win Lotto or a radically different Government is elected (since main difference between FF, FG and PD is more personalities and spin than substantive differences don't expect a *radically* different Government ever. Which is what foriegn investors like about Ireland).

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My apoligies. It was the FTV Centre that I was on to. It is true though that it will proberly be nearer the end of the year before we know for sure what will happen to existing cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Lads,

Need to activate FTV Card .

Can someone please confirm what information I will be asked for over the phone so I can have it to hand whilst at work.
    Also what channel if any do I leave the digibox on , or do I leave it on standby.?

Also, this card will replace an old Sky sub card (still working perfectly by the way) . Is that an issue?

Thanks

The stuff on Services info screen:

Make
    Model
    Serial number
    Card Number (make sure FTV card in)

Leave on any channel that Needs the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would disagree. Leave it on 181 travel channel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't think it matters what channel it's on. I had Sky News on when I activated my UK card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i was flicking the whole day when i activated mine. i even put in my subscription card and then put the FTV card back in and BBC1 still turned on a few hours later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 axious

I called the FTV line this morning (Mon) to get my card activated, and I didn't have to speak to anyone (surprisingly).

I was asked by an autmoated voice to put in my Tel No., then my viewing card number.

It didn't ask for serial number of box or anything else.

It then said, "thankyou, bla bla bla, your card will be activated within 3 days".

Is this a new way of doing it? Will my card be activated within 3 days or do they need the box serial number?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Will my card be activated within 3 days or do they need the box serial number?
    Here is a cool tip. After you call the FTV number to activate the card and you get confirmation that the card will be activated, go through the process again choosing the same options. When you are prompted to key in the phone number, do this. You will be put through to a live operator. At this stage, disconnect. Your channels should appear instantly after this. This has worked twice for me. I think the reason for this is you are put through to a very high priority queue after the second call.;)

Carrolls

In doing this I assume the operator won't ring you back??

Also will a new FTV card supersede the still active ex Sky Sub card
    or will both cards still work.

Also are we still agreed that the ex Sky sub cards will be eventually cut off later in the year. ie. after all new sky cards have been distributed.

Finally, is it best to activate new FTV Card now or assume ex Sky sub won't be cut off??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Just a little correction for Watty - the FTV helpline was/is paid for by five, Channel 4 and BBC - if ever you ring them, all three of these entities are mentioned in the welcome message. AFAIK a subsidiary of the Royal Mail ran it and it is still at the same location - I heard that the service company had been indirectly taken over by BT. One of the techs told me Sky do not run the helpdesk and never have - they only supply the card and some of the helpdesk software.

Anyways, I rang them yesterday as I wanted clarification and possibly a replacement card. i got neither. "Hello, I have an active FTV card that I got in January of this year. It is the old blue Sky card and was never replaced by a new one. Can you tell me if it will remain active?" Girlie with Scottish accent (didn't give her name - they should be obliged to)..."Well, after July 14th you won't need it..."

"I'll still need it for five and Channel 4 at least, can you tell me if it will be disactivated or if I need a newer-type card?" She takes my postcode, confirms my name and says that my card may be blue but has the "new software" on it and "will continue to work".

I'm tempted to ring again at a different time of day as this person gave a different date and different info from here/elsewhere. How can a service be dismantled like this without any official communication being made to (at least) the legitimate registered users of this service - not everyone uses the web / visits the sat sites, and what's more they're full of conflicting reports, none official.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 axious

Further to my ealier post;

Just got a new card (FTV) and last night the card was ativated to add the BBC channels etc, however BBC1 shows "channel not available".

Does BBC1 take slightly longer than the others and is it due to "region" coding?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Yes, BBC1 can take upto 72 hours to come through.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah it took about 36 hours for BBC ONE Scotland to activate for me! I was getting kinda worried after 24 hours but it came on eventually! ;)

Lads any chance of a response on this

"Carrolls

In doing this(activating FTV Card) I assume the operator won't ring you back??

Also will a new FTV card supersede the still active ex Sky Sub card
    or will both cards still work.

Also are we still agreed that the ex Sky sub cards will be eventually cut off later in the year. ie. after all new sky cards have been distributed.

Finally, is it best to activate new FTV Card now or assume ex Sky sub won't be cut off??

Also an extra question. How many FTV cards is the one address/one name entitled to get in the UK. He already has a Sky account. ????

It was 4 FTV card per address. But it's academic as I suppose it is too late to get any more..

Watty,thanks for that.

However can you give your opinion on the rest of the queries I had ??

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

If you read through the existing threads you will get all of the information/opinions you are looking for.

Unfortunately going through the threads doesn't confirm exactly what I want to know. Could someone in the know (Watty/Carrolls for starters)please let me know their opinion on following.

1. Will ex UK Sky Sub old style cards be de activated at some stage?

2. I also have new FTV Card . Address given is of existing SKy uk subscription holder.

3.If I activate the new card will that effect the person who's address has been used. i.e. will there be questions...??? will their access to UK channels be effected.

4. If the new FTV activates does that deactivate the old card or could that card be used by someone else to get ITV etc... If new FTV didn't activate for some reason after having it in the box would the old card still work?

Finally is it best to keep FTV card in reserve until ex Sky sub dies or is there a time limit on activation.

SOrry for all questions but I'm sure these are things that other people may find of interest..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

1. Will ex UK Sky Sub old style cards be de activated at some stage?

Yes, probably.

2. I also have new FTV Card . Address given is of existing SKy uk subscription holder.

That's fine.

3.If I activate the new card will that effect the person who's address has been used. i.e. will there be questions...??? will their access to UK channels be effected.

Nope. As long as you never hook up your digibox to a phoneline - Sky will never know where the card is bing used.

4. If the new FTV activates does that deactivate the old card or could that card be used by someone else to get ITV etc... If new FTV didn't activate for some reason after having it in the box would the old card still work?

At the moment you can "marry" more than one card to a digibox. The old card should not deactivate after you activate your new card.

Finally is it best to keep FTV card in reserve until ex Sky sub dies or is there a time limit on activation. SOrry for all questions but I'm sure these are things that other people may find of interest..

That's up to you. There are pro's and con's of keeping the card in reserve. For example, what if you digibox dies and you have to get a replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

UPDATE!!

According to some posts on another forum - all existing FTV cards will be deactivated in phases from the end of July. I don't usually post rumours like this, but a number of unique posters on the forum have confirmed this to be true.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/71966/46ec5ebd00aec2d7010d7cb8cf95f7f3ds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

The truth is nobody knows what is going to happen. Sky have probably not decided what they are going to do. They are known for gut reaction decisions and whatever suits them and is in line with the ITC they will do it.
    Having said that, there have been a number of unfounded rumours about the old and new FTV cards and ex-sub cards.
    Nobody has officially confirmed that either the old or new FTV cards are getting switched off in the near future.
    I would say if it was going to happen, then it would be the old cards.
    Yes if you enable your new card, your old one becomes disabled.
    Any household in the UK can order 4 FTV cards. So as long as your friend has ordered 3 cards or less, you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Last night, further to all the rumours, I rang the FTV card helpline for the 3rd time this week and was told that there was no point in replacing my blue card as all FTV cards were being deactivated and ITV, C4 and five would be Sky subscription only. I do hope that the ITC or someone steps in to stop this. I'm buggered even if they only cut off the old blue cards. I wouldn't mind as much, but it was sent to me in January - I should have gotten a new-type by then!! :o(

Advertisement