Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Type Solus cards to be disabled?

Options
  • 24-06-2003 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Just read in 'What Satellite?' that Sky are disabling all of the old type SOLUS cards at the end of 2003.
    What is the breakdown of FTV (SOLUS) cards issued?
    Well according to the Guardian (Erm...)
    'The number of people receiving free-to-air digital channels through a satellite dish has risen significantly, growing by 18% to 660,000 in the first three months of 2003 according to the ITC's estimates'.
    By that reckoning 559322 have the old FTV cards and 100678 have the new FTV cards.
    The big question is will the ITC allow Sky to switch off 559322 old solus cards at the end of 2003 without any form of card replacement scheme on the cards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Wow, this is an interesting development. So far the informed (?) opinion has been that P1 type Solus cards would continue as FTV indefinitely. Why would Sky want to switch them off other than to cause annoyance to non-subscribers ??
    Yes, count me in as one of those who don't want the hassle of trying to get a P2 Solus at this late stage. I presume FTV call centre closes down on 10th July ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah I read the report too. Maybe it was just an assumption on What Satellite's part though?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd beleive a report that Sky is disabling all old cancelled UK SUBSCRIBER cards (maybe). It doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭dosfromclare

I started getting "Insert your new viewing card " message last night. It persisted for about 20 times (pressed backup to clear). So looks like the clock has started for the old Irish sub cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

If the on screen message is coming up already that would surely suggest cards are being cut off continually rather than their being a mass switch off at end of year? I suppose the logic in switching off is that it will be only "illegal viewers" who are really effected. Anyone in the UK cut off who is bothered can just get freeview or resubscribe..

Anyhow once BBC goes free to air any new card not matched to a box will do for ITV etc.. So not as big a deal as it could be . Also the market in UK should be fairly buoyant at that stage with freshly cancelled sky subs with new card in...

• Advertisement
Advertisement