Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

risk-like boardgames

Options
  • 22-06-2003 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Ahoy all,

I recently discovered the excellent boardgame of Risk and have literally been playing it non stop. I want to buy another boardgame similar to it and would be interested in any recommendations. I heard Axis and Allies is good......any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

For 2 playes Stratego

http://www.1st-in-games.com/stratego-board-game.html

For more than 2 players Diplomacy

for review
    http://www.kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/06623

You can get all different types of Stratego now - lord of the rings... or is that it? I remember Diplomacy as been really good fun. (you could make alliances and then doublecross or triplecross the person who just tried to doublecross you)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Diplomacy is Risk for grown ups. Dont get me wrong, I love Risk too. Diplomacy is much more thinky then Risk and not as warlike, its a more seasoned boardgame too.

Axis and Allies is good too btw, but I never really played it much. There are a lot of good board games coming out of Germany. Sub City has a fair number (its near Georges street... cant recall the name of the street its on).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

The original Axis and allies (world) is quite unbalanced, and has some problems with the setup leading to discovering the "correct" way to play the game quite quickly. The 2 newer versions (Japs vs Americans and the eurpean conflict) all assume that America finishes the war once it gets going, and the victory is based on how well the axis do before they get crushed.

Shogun (renamed Samurai Swords) is a better game, as its more balanced and has a lot of nice touches, and ends when one person is clearly winning.

Another good game is the Lord of the rings Risk - the map is more balanced then the "capture Australia and hope noone randomly achieves their mission" approach, though it suffers the same problem of assuming the good guys win at the end.

The futuristic version of Risk are just terrible IMO.

Theres a civilisation ( aka Sid Meier 4000bc+ game) board game out there, it looks really good, though Ive never set aside the time to play it.

Would definately second Diplomacy as a great game, theres no dice rolling, so its all based on convincing people to do what you want them to do. Need to set aside a good length of time to play it though.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Mighty Empires, a risk like Games Workshop game that had tons more depth plus nice miniatures for citys, armies etc etc.

Dunno if thats still available or not to buy tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

oh yeah, and .........

"The Awful Green Things From Outer Space" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The crew of the exploration ship ZNUTAR just wanted to cruise around the Galaxy, discovering strange new worlds and playing pool. But then their ship was invaded by the Awful Green Things . . . and suddenly they were fighting for their lives!
    In this wacky two-player game, one player controls the Awful Green Things. They grow and multiply every turn... especially if they can gobble up a crew member! The other player commands the crew, frantically trying weapon after weapon (pool sticks, fire extinguishers, cans of Zgwortz) in hope of finding something that kills the monsters."

Great game :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

...but cannot compare to GW's classic "OI! Dats My Leg!!!" - the trollish bodybuilding game.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I bought Axis and Allies world edition and lord of the rings risk a few days ago (officially broke now :)) Haven't been able to play a full game of Axis and Allies yet but first impressions are good. LOTR is ok. Only 4 players though :( I miss the fun of shaky alliances and backstabbings of a 6 player game of risk tbh :D

Btw a m8 has Diplomacy, I never played it though, didn't sound too great but I'll definately give it a shot now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭gmt

Hi all,

are there any clubs or shops where you can play these games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Any of the 18xx series of games are excellent as well..
    Boardgame versions of Railroad tycoon,

You may have to buy them on line however....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Lordy

Originally posted by Skyclad
    Another good game is the Lord of the rings Risk - the map is more balanced then the "capture Australia and hope noone randomly achieves their mission" approach, though it suffers the same problem of assuming the good guys win at the end.

The futuristic version of Risk are just terrible IMO.

Theres another version of Risk apart from standard and LOTR?

I'm interested. Maybe even a little intrigued ...

Theres a civilisation ( aka Sid Meier 4000bc+ game) board game out there, it looks really good, though Ive never set aside the time to play it.

Unfortunately Civilisation the board game costs 80 fricking euro to buy new. But I imagine that it would be great to play if you had a spare day or so ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement