Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Digilink

Options
  • 21-06-2003 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking about buying a digilink to connect to my TV upstairs but I read somewhere that they are only two metres long. Is it possible to make it longer by connecting it to extra cables or something?

Also, I know that what ever channel you are watching on one TV you have to watch the same on the other. But if I press TV on the remote and control the terrestrial channels would it be possible to watch a digital channel on the other TV?

Also, where can I get a cheap digilink and cheap remote?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What you are actually talking about is a TV Link and it is not restricted to any length of cable although the greater the length the more signal loss you will receive. It is possible to watch Digital tv on one tv and terrestrial on another tv.

You could try this link for the tv link and remote control. Tony usally has a special on them if bought together.

www.satellite.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've just bought the digilink in Power City and now I need to buy cable. It looks like its just normal cable that you put into the back of your TV but in the instructions they call it co-axial cable, is this the same thing? Also, the instructions are very complicated but by the picture it looks like you just connect the co-axial cable from the RF-OUT-2 port on the digibox to the digilink in the TV upstairs, is this correct?

Where can I buy this cable (in the south city centre) and how much does it cost?

Also, where can I get a Sky remote (excluding the internet)?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

in the instructions they call it co-axial cable, is this the same thing?
    Yes
    connect the co-axial cable from the RF-OUT-2 port on the digibox to the digilink in the TV upstairs, is this correct?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You likely need to "turn on" the Digibox feature

"Hidden Installer menu"

Services 4 0 1 Select
    RF outlets

Turn on RF out 2 power. Default is off.

(You can change the TV channel used here too)

Originally posted by watty
    You likely need to "turn on" the Digibox feature

"Hidden Installer menu"

Services 4 0 1 Select
    RF outlets

Turn on RF out 2 power. Default is off.

(You can change the TV channel used here too)
    I went to services and then system setup (4) but there is no "0", what should I do? I searched everywhere for RF Outlets and I can't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No, dont follow whats on the screen, just press those buttons in that sequence.

Services 4 0 1 Select

Its a hidden menu, just for installers.

I just bought a 25metre TV aerial extension kit for €12.49 in Argos. I don't know if this is the right cable so I am not going to connect it until I know for sure because its a hard job. The cable I was supposed to get was a co-axial cable will this cable be OK?

here it is:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1001&langId=-1&searchTerms=534%2F1960&go.x=9&go.y=13

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Yes that's fine. All tv cable is co-axial, it is just the term used for cable that has a central wire and an outer ring.

Ok thanks for the help.

Now, I've just set up the digilink and I tuned it in and I can now get the digital channels in but I can't change the channel upstairs using the remote control.

What should i be doing?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by eireboy

What should i be doing?

Thanks in advance!

Heres the instructions i send out with tv links:

"If you have not done so already run a cable from the "RF2" socket at the back of the digibox to the tv where you wish to view sky digital. Connect the Tv link between the coax connector and the Tv in the second room. Select a vacant channel and tune in sky digital, by default it is on Ch68 on the UHF band

To activate the supply from the digibox first press services, then system setup, then press 0,1 and select. You should now be in "Installer setup". press "RF Outlets" and set the "second outlet power supply" to on. Make sure then tv link is connected before you do this. The red light on the tv link should now be lit. In the second room simply point the remote at the tv link and you should be able to change channels etc."

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

I tried pointing the remote to the tv link but nothing happens. I set up the remote to control the TV upstairs. If I press Sky on the remote it goes to the channel in which it is stored but when I press any numbers nothing happens.

Is the digilink not working or someting?

I tried pointing the remote to the tv link but nothing happens. I set up the remote to control the TV upstairs. If I press Sky on the remote it goes to the channel in which it is stored but when I press any numbers nothing happens.

Is the digilink not working or someting?

is the light on?

yes, the light is on, I can see the digital channels from the TV but can only change the TV channels not the digital ones. It seems to be the sensor that is not working but it is brand new.

yes, the light is on, I can see the digital channels from the TV but can only change the TV channels not the digital ones. It seems to be the sensor that is not working but it is brand new.

do you have a grundig digibox?

here is the part of my manual that tells you how to set up my remote to operate my TV:
    Setting your remote control to operate your TV

The Sky remote control can control both your Sky minibox and TV.
    Your Sky remote control should have been set up to work with your TV when your Sky minibox was installed.
    If your Sky remote control is not correctly operating your TV, complete the following steps.

1. Turn your TV on.
    2. Press tv on your Sky remote control.
    3. Hold down select and the red key together for about two
    seconds, until the red light on the Sky remote control blinks
    twice.
    4. Press tv on your Sky remote control again.
    5. Key in the 4 digit code for your brand of TV. The light on the Sky remote control should blink twice. If the light blinks once only, recheck the code for your brand of TV and
    start again at Step 1.
    6. Press the standby key on your Sky remote control.
    If your TV switches off, press select. The light on the Sky remote control will blink twice.

If your TV does not switch off, press tv, then press the standby key. Repeat this action until your TV turns off, then press select.
    I have done all the steps but the one step that didn't work was the one in red, step 6. When I press standby the TV goes off but when I press select the light doesn't blink twice. I think this may be the problem.

Any ideas how to fix it?

BTW its a Pace Digibox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 THE_INSTALLER

I have done all the steps but the one step that didn't work was the one in red, step 6. When I press standby the TV goes off but when I press select the light doesn't blink twice. I think this may be the problem.

Eireboy this has nothing to do with your digital channels not changing in the second room. If u have bought "thin" co-ax cable compared to the 'normal' cable, with a normal run the digibox is unable to recieve the signal from the infra red. Try changing the cable to a better quality, or try re-fitting the connections on the ends of the cable.

Originally posted by THE_INSTALLER
    Eireboy this has nothing to do with your digital channels not changing in the second room. If u have bought "thin" co-ax cable compared to the 'normal' cable, with a normal run the digibox is unable to recieve the signal from the infra red. Try changing the cable to a better quality, or try re-fitting the connections on the ends of the cable.
    I have re-fitted the connections and still no joy. here's the cable I got:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1001&langId=-1&searchTerms=534%2F1960&go.x=9&go.y=13

MMMnn.........I would'nt be terribly happy about using that 'STUFF'.
    How long a run of the cable did you use from digibox to tv link.?

You could also try forcing a software upgrade on the digibox, works sometimes.

What I think may be the problem is that the RF-OUT-2 port has a pin sticking out of it and the end of the cable also has a pin sticking out of it so I had to use a line coupler. The cable doesn't go into the coupler very tight so there is probably a signal loss there.

Also, I cannot even get the light to come up on the digilink any more.

Since the digilink has a pin on one end and a hole on the other I tried connecting the hole end directly into the RF port and the light came on but when I put the coupler into the RF port and put the pin end of the digilink into the coupler the light didn't come on. Does that mean that the coupler doesn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

eireboy

Are pressing the Sky Button on the remote BEFORE trying to change the DigiBox channels ? If you're just pressing TV then it will control the TV, but you need to press the Sky button to control the Digibox.

• Advertisement

yeah, i'm pressing the sky button but thats not the problem now as i can't even get the light to go on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Hummmm, if the connections are OK both ends then that is NOT good !

Since the digilink has a pin on one end and a hole on the other I tried connecting the hole end directly into the RF port and the light came on but when I put the coupler into the RF port and put the pin end of the digilink into the coupler the light didn't come on. Does that mean that the coupler doesn't work?

You have just answered your own question.!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

What I think may be the problem is that the RF-OUT-2 port has a pin sticking out of it and the end of the cable also has a pin sticking out of it so I had to use a line coupler. The cable doesn't go into the coupler very tight so there is probably a signal loss there.

Also, I cannot even get the light to come up on the digilink any more.

No, it means that the digilink only works when the correct end is connected to the digibox.

The digibox output RF2 should be connected via your cable to the female connector on the digilink, the male connector on the digilink then goes directly into the back of the tv. If the cable you have is equipped with male connectors on both ends you will need to use the coupler to connect the cable to the digibox. If the coupler is loose then carefully tighten the inner and outer rings on the copler with a pliers.

I got the light to go on now after about 10 times of putting the connector on but the Infra red is still not working so I can't change the channels. The instructions recommend you use and outlet box and connect a flylead from the outlet box to the second TV. Would this make a difference?

BTW. What is a fly lead?:confused:

I cut about 15 metres off the cable and now it works perfect.

I cut about 15 metres off the cable and now it works perfect.

Eireboy, save yourself a head ache.......throw away that cable and go to your nearest tv shop and buy some good rg-59 or ct-100 cable

Advertisement