Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITC Response re FTV cards

Options
  • 21-06-2003 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Was in contact with the ITC about the future availability of ITV/CH4/5 on Digital Satellite via the free to view card.
    I asked would we now be required to subscribe to SKY when the BBC go free to air, to receive them.
    The Response
    "The ITC welcomes the agreement reached between Sky and the BBC last week.
    However, they are the parties you need to ask what,if any,changes will take place in the availability of services".

The ITC appear to be washing their hands of the situation.
    The BBC no longer need the FTV cards so I am sure SKY will see this as an opportunity to take the many hundreds of thousands free to view card holders under it`s subscription wing.

Peter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

If they turned off the FTV cards then ITV/C4/C5 would all get mighty pissed off and follow the BBC down the FTA route. Then you could get all the terrestrial channels without a Sky digibox. Remember, under the current FTV setup you need to buy a Sky Digibox.

I think Sky will do their best to keep ITV/C4/C5 happy, so that they'll stay with the digibox encryption system... It is in Sky's interest to see the current FTV scheme continue operating.

I know if ITV/C4/C5 followed BBC into the clear, I'd sell my Digibox and buy a standard FTA receiver. I think Sky would prefer if I didn't do this, in the hope that I might one day take out a Sky subscription on my current digibox.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You also have to take into account that for a long time Sky would supply and Install the equipment in any Uk Residence for I think around £120.00 without a subscription to their services. This was to enable people living in weak signal areas to receive their basic channels. So really Sky have an obligation to these people.

I may be wrong but didn’t the ITC insist on Sky reintroducing this system again at the start of this year, except now Sky insists on a phone connection for 12 months.

So from that alone I think that existing FTV cards will be around for a good while yet. Whatever about ex- sub cards they may be turned off when Sky eventually turns off the ver 1 cards.

Advertisement