Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorised satellite System

Options
  • 20-06-2003 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am trying to get a motorised satellite system set up. I currently have a 1mtr Triax dish with 2 lbns set to receive 13 & 19 degrees east. Is there anyone who can install a motorised system and provide a good receiver? I need someone to do this reasonably urgently. I live in Galway City.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

If you need a receiver and a motorised system ,why not buy a receiver with discqc 1.3 and a stab H-H motor .

This will work perfect with your Triax and is easy to set up yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 redflag

I'm afraid my talents in this regard only extend to using the remote control. I would like to know of peoples experiences with motorised systems eg are they prone to breaking down often. I would like to contact people who have had a motorised dish installed. There must be someone out there who can recommend a good installer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr.M

i was in a similar situation before i got my dish motorised m8.i looked around but no one seemed to do anything apart from install sky.finally i got someone from castlebar who agreed to give it a try and altough he never installed a motorised dish before, he had the job done within 1 hour.trust me m8, it's simple stuff and if your receiver has USALS its even easier.before i got around to calling him, i rang some fella in galway(oranmore i think) and he said he would also do the job.
    you also asked was it prone to break down.well so far so lucky and i've had mine for about a year.
    anyway, if you need more help just PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

I am interested in a motorised system. Can anyone give me an idea of price for a system and who I could get to install it.

I live in the Tralee area

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Approx UK Prices

H-H mount 80
    Dish 70
    Digital Receiver / PVR 100 to 1000 depending on spec
    LNB 20

Irish Installer minimum €80 other wise he doesn't know how to do it.

Bigger dishes need an Actuator or 36V motor

The Receiver needs to have "positioner" software etc, Some receivers just do basic 2 or 4 way disqec not full 1.2

Digibox of itself does not want to know about a motorised dish.

(I think tony at www.satellite.ie and martin at www.satcure.co.uk know what they are talking about and sell the bits you want.)

With a H-H motor mount the mount aligns to "pole star" ant at peak the dish point TRUE south (not magnet south or 0 degrees or 180 degrees). True South is only 0 degrees Satellite position on Greenwich line.

The angle to ground of mount is depend on Degrees North you are. The dish then "declines" about 5 degrees from that.

It needs to be adjusted with signal from a nearly south Satellite (5W or 8W in Ireland, 1W in London), and an easterly and westerly (Sky/Astra/Eurobird at 28.2 and Hispasat at 30W will do).

An actuator is similar except it is a telescopic arm that pushes dish left/right (east/west) on a "polar mount" setup as above.

If it is not done correct the "up/Down" movement is incorrect as you move east/west.

On buying a H/H mount from a dealer good ones use your address to pre-align the angle. Then you need a vertical pole not out of true and to find true north or true south, or simiply put dish at top of arc and peak signal on 5W or 8W (which ever is closer to your true south) without adjusting main H-H angle to ground.

Tralee isn't to far from me, but I don't do installs. Urlan TV in Limerick and Clare do installs and have done motorised systems. First I ever saw in Ireland was on side of their Newmarket on fergus shop. They may make Martin's and Tony's prices for Kit look very reasonable though. But at least they have been doing this properly for years.

• Advertisement

To make a long story short look here

http://www.usals.info/inglese/home.htm

PS. Watty ,have you shares in these companies or do you just get a good discount?

(I think tony at www.satellite.ie and martin at www.satcure.co.uk know what they are talking about and sell the bits you want.

First I ever saw in Ireland was on side of their Newmarket on fergus shop. They may make Martin's and Tony's prices for Kit look very reasonable though. But at least they have been doing this properly for years)

:D:D;);)

Er. no.
    But I have got stuff and I do know what it like dealing with mail order companies staffed by Baboons.

Admittedly Tony did me a favour once but anyone that knows me pesonally (my abrasive calling a spade a spade "norn Iron" nature) knows that wouldn't influence me.

Very few mailorder folks have technical Expertise Martin Pickering has. He is a "real" Engineer and used to repair stuff in days when people paid to get stuff fixed. (And circuit boards were not inhabited by squashed mites and beetles)

I have a "black list" but it would be unfair to post it

I am aware that Mr Moore at Irelands Sat does deliver good work and his inside info in regards to sky is very useful for users on this site.

There are of course some mail order sites that just shift boxes etc but there are also a lot of good ones.

The reason why I said what I said was that I noticed that you plugged these two companies a lot . There is nothing of course wrong with it because a good name is difficult to acheive and people only tend to comment on companies that are ****e etc.

Anyhow the smiles were there for a reason.

Yours,

Sean.

www.tarasat.nl

A decent little sat company here in Holland(((that was my plug by the way));) ;);)

I also prefer to find a company by friend recommendation or by advert in a Magasine when ads from that company have run for years.

Goggle may be your friend for finding info, but I'm suspicious of companies I find *only* by google.

I'm sure if I'm plugging too much rather than helping a newbie the mods will give me a slap :D

Anyone picking up an Interest in Satellite beyond channel flicking sky Family pack probly should at least skim one issue of "What Satellite". All opinions and adverts in any medium are best verified from more than one source too.

Read the ICDG main pages at http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~icdg/
    and our FAQ at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73425 which I have unfortuneatly made a bit too wordy.

Also my old site at http://homepage.eircom.net/~watty/satellite/satellite.htm which someday I might update and overhaul

www.lyngsat.com is a good resource but so large that newbies miss out on various gems buried there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by watty
    Very few mailorder folks have technical Expertise Martin Pickering has. He is a "real" Engineer and used to repair stuff in days when people paid to get stuff fixed. (And circuit boards were not inhabited by squashed mites and beetles)

I agree Martin is a real expert.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement