Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War has never solved anything.....

Options
  • 20-06-2003 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

i just thought this was funny :/ cos its true....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

That reminds me of a Sceen:

"What have the Roman's ever done For Us?........."

-Life of Brian, by Monthy Phython

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by EdBanger
    That reminds me of a Sceen:

"What have the Roman's ever done For Us?........."

-Life of Brian, by Monthy Phython

well except the aqueducts, the roads, security on the streets at night... What have the Romans ever done for us.... :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Sorry to disagree with complete strangers but every major change in history has been brought about by war. Questions like how much land do i have? and I wonder if i could have your riches? and I wonder would splitting the atom cause a big bang? and hundereds more were solved by war. If it wasent for war we would all still be small tribes and i would be sending this message misspellings and all via smoke signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

War = arms race = technological improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

but does technological improvement mean society improvement?

Undubtedly war has provided the main tecnolgical improvemants up until after ww2 but its got to stage where the military are behind public technological develpement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE war = arms race = technological
    Please explain this with reference to
    - Post 1945 Japan / Gemany
    - space race
    - development of steam power & railways
    - development of most consumer products & housing & transport.

(Note: had the space race had less milatry/political involvement we'd probably had fully reusable space-planes by the 70's)

RE If it wasent for war we would all still be small tribes and i would be sending this message misspellings and all via smoke signals. Please explain that to the people in afganistan....

One of the big problems in a consumer society is the accumulation of real wealth -'cos everything is thrown away. if we could move away from this to producing more durable products and buidings then everyone would be richer (by virture of not having to buy so much basic "stuff") war has a similar effect - when you destroy something - a lot of trade andcommerce is involved in replacing it - but no one has anything they did not have already.

You don't want me to get started on the result of war on Cambodia - Irish Gov't were recognising the KR as the legit rulers for years afterwards - yes the vietnamese puppet gov't was not a shining democracy, but that's no excuse to legitimise the murder of 20% of the population based on things like wearing glasses - and the vietnamese only invaded in response to KR incursions -

The basic rule about war as far as I can see is - you can do ANYTHING you want within your own boarders and no one will bother you.. so apart from wars of aggression - which are always wrong - a "just war" will only be waged against you if you become a threat to anothe power...

RE: Wars ending Nazi's / Japan - the victors (Stalin and Mao) killed more people than the loosers.....

/Rant
    =================================

Have a read of the book of heroic failures sometime
    it is very funny (if you ignore the fact that so many people died becuse of the mistaks)

Ok funny stuff - so thread don't get moved

During WWII a British destroyer fired a torpedo at a passing Geman vessel - cold artic conditions intefered with the control mechanism ... and the torpedo went full circle - the destroyer was in dry dock for the rest of the war being repaired...

21st Sept 1956
    The US navy's latest fighter the Grumman Tiger F11F-1 first american plane to exced Mach 1 without using afterburner. But on this day one of them diving at high speed, it eventually overtook the shells from it's own 20mm cannon, and these caused severe engine damage, resulting in a belly landing. It has shot it'self down..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

you will never get every one agree war is good

but war is good for many reasions

and bad for one we kill other people

one simple point

no war = no roman empire = no modern world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Guys - this is the HUMOUR board - if you want to go and rant about the merits / demerits of war, can you please take your discussion elsewhere.

Bio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i think it's funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

lol thats almost as good as the guy holding a "make my dinner bitch" sign at a feminism meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

an old one :D

Advertisement