Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo Speed

Options
  • 19-06-2003 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I can allready play at quite a fast pace. Has anyone any links or tips on speed? As in changing string at a fast rate etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Try playing bass for a while you should be able to hammer on and pull off faster than a rabbit with a premature ejaculation problem after a few months of bass practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big) made a couple of instructional videos focused on speed and technique. They're a bit expensive but a friend of mine got to be fast as hell by following them

They're here:

http://www.euromusicweb.com/paulgilbert.html

If you don't want to spend that kind of money just practise, practise... and practise :) Take a short sequence of notes, learn it VERY SLOW and then increase the speed. For best result use a metronome.

Lastly, bear in mind: if you don't play it *clean* then it's not worth playing so slow down a bit and restart...

Good work! A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Only one way:

Scales+Exersizes+Practice (at least 30min a day)= speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Concatenator

I am not a newbie at guitar just teh let you know. I do scales for hours every day. I just need some other speed practices you guys might use. Or even some shreding stuff you favouritise.

I know practice makes perfect :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

I got up to speed by learning solo's lick by lick, even though i could not play them at full speed. Then just keep playin em till your fingers are sore. The best learning device on the web is power tab http://www.power-tab.net/

Then go to http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/tabs/
    http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/tablatures/
    and download loads of power tabs. It will plat the tabs for you and you can play along. Makes hard tabs easy

And dont forget to learn to up pick, Just downpicking will seriously reduce your speed and make some solos impossible. (pratice this by going up and down the strings.)

Good beginner solo's/songs
    Welcome to the jungle.(all of it, mail riff is easy, solos are not hard) dont cry, out ta get me(rythem part and main riff are cool. the solo requires double bends and is great muscle building for you fingers. ) Knocking on heavens door.solos are easy)Slash uses hammeronn's and pulloff's to achieve speed on most solos. They are easy to copy and dont take long to get down. Plus it makes you hammer onn with all fingers, not just you index and 2nd finger, you'll need to use you 3rd to hammer onn the puloff tou you 2nd finger,this is fantastic excersise for all fingers.)
    maim riff for paradice city. excellent for learing to up pick, you have to to play it right
    most ac/dc rythem parts are easy. some solo's like shook me all night long as easy too/
    Metallica. learning the rythem to most metallica songs are great for building a great power chord library(fade to black solo is good to learn. requires fast plecking mose so then finger movements. definatly one to learn and get down)
    oasis, good pratice for chords of all types. noel also strums his guitar in various ways(power tabs helps get these right)

make sure you get low gague strings for your eletric. Ernie ball 9 gague are excellent. Make bends easy to achieve.

And just pratice-pratice pratice. Scales are ok but can get frustrating, After a year of playing i almost had sweet child solo down. I just learnd the solo and played it to death till i got it.
    Pratice often too, 20mins a day is better then 2 hours at the weekend)

and have fun and relax when playing. If u tense up again it hampers your playing!

I had Power Tab thing and it sucks. It's too slow. Guitar pro is inferior. I despise GnR. Crap. Same scales nearly every song. Gets boring. Thanks anyway.

Same scales, what r u onn about, hammet, hendrix, angus young, jeff beck, joe perry, Jimmy page clapton all use the same scales. It called ROCK. What sort of crap do u listen to is you think slash uses all the same scales.??????????and seeing as your a far inferior guitarist and no doubt, musician to slash i'd be carefull who you call crap, if u dont like them then fine. you only get to call them crap when you sell 50 million albums and get regarded as one of the geatest band in history!

Slipknot have sold Millions of albums along with britney, Avril, sum 41, Christina agiulera and even Electric 6 now. It's nothing to do with sales. The solos have the same basis of sound. Mayby a few scaled or so put toghether but at the end of the day it just the same as any other band.

Yeah but thats my point, every guitarist of note has a specific sound! The all tend to stick to favoured scales, I understand what your sating abou album sales too. But GnR did it when there was no manufactured crap pop, so 50 mill really is a kick ass number,

anyway good luck with the guitar playing

• Advertisement

hehehe

I find it supriseing that with all this blatent wisdom about scales
    that NOBODY has mentioned learning the 5 basic Minor pentatonic scales + the same scale with the flattend 3rd- wait for it.. the blues scale.

Learn these 5 patterns in every key and you can improvise and solo properly.

Every guitarist mentioned in this thread uses these scales almost
    exclusivly.

You cannot solo properly with out correct knowlage of these patterns.

Juno, exactly, but learning scales is really only important if u wanna write music, th origional post was on soloing speed.

yes ,but if but no point having a really fast car if you aint got any wheels:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"Juno, exactly, but learning scales is really only important if u wanna write music"

..Why else would be playing ? To fufill you dream of becoming a wedding band ? Go learn your scales and stop being a **** up,the thread is turning into a pissing contest.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

He's right. Most solo's use the same scales for a base. If you don't like it go do your own things. That way, noone here can tell you you're wrong. It's not about selling albums and it's definitely not about which bands some people think are better. It's about music. Making it and playing it. Write your own stuff and then show us all a thing or two.

Thats the mose sence i have heard in years.

Right on!!!!!!!

Advertisement