Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie and FTV card

Options
  • 18-06-2003 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Newbie here. Just got me new sky digibox and dish today. I hear there is a card available which enables me to watch ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 in the Republic. Anyone know where I can get one of these cards and how much it will cost? I live in Limerick.

easy now,
    moz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

it's all here

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

e-mail your address to me at jimmymaureen@eircom.net and I will send you on the details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

Re FTV card

ITV,CH4/5 have declared that they will not be picking up the tab for the solus cards when the BBC goes FTA in july and so will only be available to Sky subscribers when the free cards are switched off in the near future.

Peter.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Aersat,

Where are you getting your information that the FTV cards are going to be turned off in the future. You seem very sure that they are, so can you reveal your source for this information please.

Regards

Leonard.

(formerly Sky Digi Kid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm getting Sky Digital tommorrow, will I not have UTV and Channel 4 anymore?

• Advertisement

Channel 5 have just signed a new five year encryption deal with Sky and indicated that their service will only be available to Sky subscribers on digital satellite in the future.
    Ch4 and ITV have no intention either of taking over the financing of the Solus cards and the ITC have also stated that viewers will have to pay for these channels in the future.
    The best case scenario is that a public backlash will force the ITC to insist that Sky charge only a nominal fee for the card with no ongoing subscription charge.
    The worst is that when Sky have finished replacing their first generation digital viewing cards,they will disable the solus cards.
    Whatever happens viewers will have to obtain a new viewing card to continue receiving these channels.

Peter.

I cannot see Sky disabling the 1st Gen of FTV cards. The BBC call centre which handles the FTV cards (for the next few weeks anyway) has always said that there will be no need to replace FTV cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by eireboy
    I'm getting Sky Digital tommorrow, will I not have UTV and Channel 4 anymore?
    You get TV3 instead :)
    Expect UTV and all the other ITV via other channels in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by watty
    You get TV3 instead :)
    Expect UTV and all the other ITV via other channels in 2004

or maybe 2005/2006/2007 ect.

A word of warning Moz you will have to buy a second decoder to use the FTV card (which will give you ITV/CH4/CH5). If you use your Irish decoder for both your Irish sub and FTV card (ie swapping cards) the FTV card will disable (this has happened since the Irish sub cards were replaced with the new cards).

Originally posted by daveg
    A word of warning Moz you will have to buy a second decoder to use the FTV card (which will give you ITV/CH4/CH5). If you use your Irish decoder for both your Irish sub and FTV card (ie swapping cards) the FTV card will disable (this has happened since the Irish sub cards were replaced with the new cards).

Unless of course your FTV card is also one of the new type cards.

Some people have reported that their old FTV cards work with their new sub card however most people have reported that the new Sub card invalidiates their FTV card.

• Advertisement

Leonard

The July issue "What Satellite Tv" magazine has some very interesting reading on the FTV Solus card issue as I mentioned in another thread.

Peter.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Peter, I did'nt get a chance to pick it up today but I will get it in the morning and have a look. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Unless of course your FTV card is also one of the new type cards.

Some people have reported that their old FTV cards work with their new sub card however most people have reported that the new Sub card invalidiates their FTV card.

I have a new type Sub card, and I have ordered a new type FTV card from a dude in England.
    Will my new Sub card disable the new FTV card?
    What if I disconnect the phone when using the FTV card?

thanx in advance,
    moz.

There is no problem using a new style FTV card with a new style sub card.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wot Smatelight is only marginally more accurate than Medya Gridiron.

Which isn't saying much.

Generally I stop buying a magasine six months to a year after it is obvious that "technical details and accuracy" are second to keeping the advertisers happy.

Before anyone starts trying to sue, can I point out that I have not mentioned which magasine(s) that is. Though you can certainly strike off about 15 .. 20 years ago "Hi Fi" type magasines.

It's a curious fact that "PC Format", the PC games magasine is now more accurate and technically useful than many "serious" computer mags, that seem now to consist of adverts and the kind of subjective opinion passed as objective fact in HiFi press 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by aersat
    Leonard

The July issue "What Satellite Tv" magazine has some very interesting reading on the FTV Solus card issue as I mentioned in another thread.

Peter.

What they dont tell you in this article is that the new FTV cards work with the new sub cards and I presume they will continue to work untill Sky change thier sub cards again

Advertisement