Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc recording software

Options
  • 16-06-2003 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

i've downloaded some shareware programs such as "n - track studio" but then i run into the problem of not being able to put what i've recorded on cd.

if anyone knows anywhere i can download some free fully functional home recording programs i'd be greatful.

alternativly where can i buy a cheapish yet goodish yoke which i can put on the oulde pc to record the musak, just something relativly simple, not too many fiddley bits:)

oh yeah must be microsoft XP friendly

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

there are a few bits of software floating around. i found N-Track Studio to be the best of the lot myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah n track is good but i need to be able to burn the tracks i record. so lets say i want to buy the software - where, and how much? (poor student here;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

well the software wouldnt really burn the tracks for you. you would have to do it yourself.
    You export the track as a .WAV then use your normal burning software (Eg.Nero) to create an Audio CD using the WAV file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yes i unterstand that but the shareware version of n - track wont let me do that? how much is the basic versions of pro tools and cubase and the like going for these days or where can i get "discount" copies;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

You can download the free version of protools here

Mind it's limited to 8 tracks, hope that'll do for you. To put your stuff on CD you must first "bounce" it to hard disk (File -> "Bounce to disk") and select 16 Bits stereo, then you can burn it with any software (EG: Nero)

Have fun! A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭/|/)etal)-|ead

AFAIK, free protools doesn't work with XP ferdi :(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by /|/)etal)-|ead
    AFAIK, free protools doesn't work with XP ferdi :(

Yep it's only Win 98. bhooo

That's too bad.. :(

You might be able to get some other software at http://download.com

Also, I personally *HATE* XP, maybe you might want to install W98

Originally posted by Morello
    That's too bad.. :(

You might be able to get some other software at http://download.com

Also, I personally *HATE* XP, maybe you might want to install W98

Yeah & the new version of Pro Tools LE for Windows only works with XP.

AGGGHHH

I so prefer 2000. Although I hear that the Pro Version of XP is pretty stable.

Back to the original topic. Try Cakewalk Sonar, we bought it here for a tenner.

www.warezstore.com

:D

Originally posted by Smiler
    Yeah & the new version of Pro Tools LE for Windows only works with XP.

AGGGHHH

I so prefer 2000. Although I hear that the Pro Version of XP is pretty stable.

Back to the original topic. Try Cakewalk Sonar, we bought it here for a tenner.

www.warezstore.com

:D
    Smiler, this is the most "useful" site I cam accross in the last ten years :D:D:D Happy days

Cheers, A.

• Advertisement

Yeah ain't it cool :D

Yeah yer man is a feckin genius:ninja:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah and potentially VERY illegal.

I hope you all apply the same ethos when people are stealing your music :)

DeV.

True it's potentially illegal but I don't feel very guilty when ripping-off a big corporation... I would never steel music or rip off an artist, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Paif for all you MP3's have you ? :p

Originally posted by DeVore
    yeah and potentially VERY illegal.

I hope you all apply the same ethos when people are stealing your music :)

DeV.

Yeah but technicaly it's not illegal.

The law that says you are allowed to make or download a copy of any software you have already purchaced. This organisation have stated that in their terms and conditions. So all they are charging you for is for a copy of software you are already supposed to own :D

If you don't already own it, then your at fault, not them

Besides I agree with Alex, there's nothing wrong with ripping off big faceless corporations. Everyone does it guys :D

Originally posted by Smiler
    Besides I agree with Alex, there's nothing wrong with ripping off big faceless corporations. Everyone does it guys :D
    Hey it is wrong as it's illegal, then it's up to you to decide if you want to take the risk and live with the shame :)
    Also, if prices were a bit more affordable, people would buy originals... how can a student afford to pay 800 euros for cakewalk?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Maybe if you actually used it and got involved in the music world you'd know Cakewalk aren't a 'big faceless corporation'. They stay very close to their user base (Their roots), are doing the most of any company to push for compatibility throughout the many hosts and don't have anywhere near the sales of Steinberg or Emagic.
    If you want to use Warez that's your choice, but to try an justify it like this is pathetic - if you can't accept the fact you're stealing from the human beings who made it then don't do it, if it doesn't bother you fine just don't lie about it.

anyway, back on topic.

I wouldn't bother with ProTools. It's an emperor's clothes situation when so many pro's recommend it. It's a great audio mixer but for composition compared to the likes of Sonar/Cubase/Logic it's very limited. I use Sonar myself but Cubase is an equally worthy choice (there are a few things each does differently, try the demos before buying), Logic is now Mac only so while it's good it'll never evolve on the PC.

Others worth checking out depending on what you want are Project5 and Reason 2.5 (For more dance style stuff). Orion Pro or Even Muzys (Free with Computer Music Magazine).

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    Maybe if you actually used it and got involved in the music world you'd know Cakewalk aren't a 'big faceless corporation'. They stay very close to their user base (Their roots), are doing the most of any company to push for compatibility throughout the many hosts and don't have anywhere near the sales of Steinberg or Emagic.
    If you want to use Warez that's your choice, but to try an justify it like this is pathetic - if you can't accept the fact you're stealing from the human beings who made it then don't do it, if it doesn't bother you fine just don't lie about it.

Yawn...........Don't speed either do ya.

Never copied a CD no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Course I did, and tape radio etc. I won't lie about it or pretend I didn't rip off the guys I supposedly admired. But when I had the money I went out and bought everything I'd kept copies of. Like I said if you need to use Pirates thats your business, advertising it here is what I have a problem with. Doing it out of necessity is one thing, talking about it as if it's funny and encouraging others to do the same is plain wrong.

• Advertisement

Fair enough so man

Look if you have a real problem with me "advertising" that site
    then contact the moderators & ask them to delete it.

As I said before the site is there, it's up to whoever wants to use it

You've converted me. I'm gonna go home and smash all my pirated CD's
    and buy all originals.

I think your the best ' Halleluiah

:D:D:D

Advertisement