Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky viewing card portability

Options
  • 16-06-2003 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to get a sky digital installation at home.. no big deal. However, I also want to get either a FTA box or another non-sub digibox for my paraents place. I'm thinking of a non-sub / 2nd hand digibox so that my parents place can get BBCi .. so ...

1. If I get a digibox, will I be able to bring my Sky Viewing card down to that box whenever I visit, and see my sub channels? If its a FTA box, will I still be able?

2. Am I right in thinking that I won't get BBCi on a FTA box, that it has to be a sky digibox?

3. Is there anything else I'm missing with this setup?

Cheers for any info/pointers

.cg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

"Am I right in thinking that I won't get BBCi on a FTA box, that it has to be a sky digibox?"

Within a few weeks you WILL be able to gt the "eight" (six) BBC channels on a FTA box however for ITV, Channel 4 & 5 etc youll need a sky digibox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by cgarvey
    1. If I get a digibox, will I be able to bring my Sky Viewing card down to that box whenever I visit, and see my sub channels? If its a FTA box, will I still be able?

If you are talking about getting a Sky digibox for your parents to let them watch BBC, then your card will work in it but only for certain channels. None of the premium channels (sports, movies) will work but as far as I know the basic family pack channels will be fine.
    Originally posted by cgarvey
    2. Am I right in thinking that I won't get BBCi on a FTA box, that it has to be a sky digibox?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only a Digibox or Sky+ can take a Sky Card.

Even if a non-digibox has a card slot, a Sky card won't work in it.

A digibox with no subscription still works on "Interactive" provide the Interactive + parent channel is FTA.

Non-Digibox will only do Now & Next epg info off Sky channels and teletext.

"Premium" channels are "married" between Card and specific Digibox, This includes Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Disney and RTE.

Some pay channels will work when card is in a different Digibox or Sky+ box.. Or used to.

You can get a Card changed over easily with a phone call to Sky to put it in a different box, but obviously this is a a service meant for users whose box is upgraded or failed. I moved my card once, no problem, but wouldn't pester Sky too often on that.

Strictly speaking a FTA Digital receiver has NO card slots. Though without a CAM or viewing card, a Digibox or any other Digital Receiver is FTA only.

A non-Digibox Digital receiver (with card or cam slot or not) can receive all the FTA channels on Sky (over 70 TV and 60 Radio), but if pointed at another satellite(s) many 100s of channels that don't work on a Digibox.

My PC Satellite Card (similar to Hauppage Nexus DVBs) has features similar to a Combined non-Digibox/non-Sky+ digital Receiver with integrated Hard Disk (like Sky+ except no monthly charge) FTA or non-Sky pay TV (ie. BBC Prime, ABSat, Canal+ etc). It gets about 600TV and 500Radio. I look forward to BBC TV on it from July 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Cheers for the replies guys, I didn't realise that RTÉs would be married to the box, pretty much means a second sub then :( .. ta for the info

.cg

Advertisement