Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solus FTV Card system

Options
  • 15-06-2003 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Who is going to run this system, since the BBC are not doing it anymore after their agreement with Sky? Who is gling to supply new ones

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

You will not get cards after 10 July, but I doubt that they will shut off the ones already issued

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    Who is going to run this system, since the BBC are not doing it anymore after their agreement with Sky? Who is gling to supply new ones
    that is the $64,000 question.
    It is emerging that Channel five have renewed their encryption contract, which is no surprise given their companies close relations.
    ITV have some time to run yet before their contract is out, and will have to take a decision then as to whether to go down the BBC road or not.
    I would say they will, given that the BBC seem to have satisfied rights holders with, a tight Britain of Ireland Sky footprint with much less overspill into Europe.
    If as it appears no new solus cards will be issued, then the only way to replace one if yours is destroyed will be to take out a sky subscription-ITV will not want that.
    So the only other way to get your hands on a free to view card, in the short term would be to get your hands on a box paired to an ex UK sub card.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think Five did contribute a small part of FTV centre costs.

Since release does not speak of Encryption , but "present Arrangement" I guess there is a small chance FTV cards will be issued in the future.

There is a much larger chance that cancelled UK sub cards (not replaced ones on active subscription) and older FTV cards will continue to work.

You can take a sub for a minimum of one month if you already have a box.. though perhaps that applies only to cancelled sub.

There is no phone line requirement on subs if you already have a Digibox.

So I suppose you could get a UK value pack sub, cancel and then you have a FTV card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

As soon as Sky have replaced all the old viewing cards and switch over to the new ones,it is there intention to disable the Solus cards and viewers in the UK will have to subscribe to the basic Sky package to receive ITV/CH4/5.
    However the ITC may insist that only a nominal fee be charged for the card without an ongoing subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Why would they bother to do that for existing solus cards and cancelled sub cards? It's not as if there is an ongoing cost in running them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

no one really has a clue whats going to happen do they ?

i would imagine the broadcasters dont know themselves as yet, usually these problems are sorted out but its usually at the last minute

personally i cant see the powers to be, in UK letting the uk fta channels becoming sub only, in UK one is allowed 4 ftv cards / household so I'm sure there are many second boxes and maybe a third, in lots of houses
    there would be uproar if ppl had to pay a sub to watch channels they have always watched for free whether on sat or ariel
    there may be a fee to get a ftv card in uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

Originally posted by aersat
    As soon as Sky have replaced all the old viewing cards and switch over to the new ones,it is there intention to disable the Solus cards and viewers in the UK will have to subscribe to the basic Sky package to receive ITV/CH4/5.
    However the ITC may insist that only a nominal fee be charged for the card without an ongoing subscription.

what,with all the open discussion on this board about the cards in question, it would not suprise me if the cards were deactivated

all any tv broadcaster/ cable company/mmds operator in uk or ireland has to do is look at this board to see where the bulk of ftv cards are ending up.

i think there is too much open discussion on this subject which may put existing cards at risk

also the name and phone numbers of a certain person/company which offers a service of this nature, is freely displayed in a few threads on this forum
    was this information posted with the persons consent ?

this persons livelihood may be at risk from a few newbies posting such info
    this type of info should be conveyed by pm only

would the ppl who post such info on a public forum like their name/phone numbers to be available for all to see if they were involved in "grey area" dealings ?, i think not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Righto Arkles, but they did have a website advertising their wares. Its since gone but they are still at it.

It is the interweb after all; if it wasnt discussed here, it would be discussed somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

As the fella says, a shut mouth catches no flies.

• Advertisement

No. That is NOT the deal done with "Five" for 4 more years.

Source???

Five have renewed their Solus/FTV card contract. Sky would be in breach of contract to disable existing cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭ozsat

Originally posted by watty
    No. That is NOT the deal done with "Five" for 4 more years.

Source???

Five have renewed their Solus/FTV card contract. Sky would be in breach of contract to disable existing cards.
    Five have renewed their 'Conditional Access' agreement - which has nothing to do with the FTV cards.

I was actually reading a small article in the main part of yesterdays Guardian ( not the media part ) where the head of the ITC ( whose name escapes me at this minute ) said if they were a betting person, they would put money on ITV following the BBC lead and that Five would have no choice then but to do likewise eventually.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

The July issue "What Satellite Tv" has some very interesting reading on the Solus card issue.

Advertisement