Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Digital Questions (beginner)

Options
  • 15-06-2003 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting Sky Digital in on Friday but my current cable seems a bit weird. My TV cable is connected into my attic and if I want to connect a second telly upstairs i have to do it through the attic. The cables are really old (my grandad connected it) and my TV isn't 100% clear so I usually have to get up in the attic and mess around with the cables.

Anyway, my parents keep saying that we are supposed to be getting charged a cable charge, by NTL or something, and if we get Sky Digital we will have to pay for our cable, is this true?

Also, I am the only person I know to have such a messed up cable system, will they charge me more to install the digital because of this?

I heard of something called a Digilink in another thread and it sounds good but if I get this and I change a channel from upstairs will the channel downstairs also change or can I watch a film on Sky Movies upstairs and a Premiership match downstairs at the same time?

Also, could you recommend anything that would be useful to buy for Sky Digital?

I keep hearing people saying that Sky Movies are crap and they keep showing repeats but I looked in the TV mag and I don't see much repeats, is it really that bad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by eireboy
    I heard of something called a Digilink in another thread and it sounds good but if I get this and I change a channel from upstairs will the channel downstairs also change or can I watch a film on Sky Movies upstairs and a Premiership match downstairs at the same time?

sdly not. you will need a mirror subscription to do that. you could also go for Sky + which will allow you to watch your match while recording the film

as for Sky Movies being crap. i thought it was so i got rid and got Film 4 instead which lost its appeal so now i am movieless (except for TCM which is pretty good IMO and free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    as for Sky Movies being crap. i thought it was so i got rid and got Film 4 instead which lost its appeal so now i am movieless (except for TCM which is pretty good IMO and free)
    This is the way I look at it. Cancel SkyMovies and save €10 a month, order Sky before June 12th (which I did) save €60, so, I am getting 6 free months of Sky Movies. That makes me feel better!

BTW Why do the British save €7 a month on the World Package?
    £38=53.50, it costs us €60 a month. Thats an extra €80 per year!

And could someone please try and help me with my original questions above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by me
    The cables are really old (my grandad connected it) and my TV isn't 100% clear so I usually have to get up in the attic and mess around with the cables.
    When I get Digital installed, will they sort out the wires and will my TV be 100% clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'll get a perfect picture on the TV the Digibox is directly connected to.

Anything else is your own responsibility.

The Digibox also has Aerial in and TWO aerial out sockets.

Plug tV aerial into the VHS.

Plug short TV aerial cable from VHS aerial out to Digibox Aerial in

Feed upstairs TV from Sky box RF out 2. The upstairs TV will be able to tune VHS, SKy and aerial signals. (ideally use new aerial cable).

Feed RF out 1 to downstaris TV Aerial in.

Connect a SCART lead from VHS to Digibox.
    Connect a SCART from Digibox to TV (if TV has a SCART).

If there are DVD, addtional TV SCART in etc connect them as per manual).

*** READ the Sky FAQ *** at top of forum page.

Advertisement