Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky digital question

Options
  • 14-06-2003 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Just a quickie, getting Sky digital installed next week, one of the requirements apparently is that ye have to have it plugged into a phone line, now the phonelines in one room and the TV is in the other, willl they charge me for the run of cable to the telephone or what do they do

Regards

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

They charged me. Even thought installation is supposed to be €15.
    Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

excuse the language but thats just bollocks, 15 euro is all it should be no more no less, thats the contract, how much did they charge you if you dont mind me asking

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Maybe you should try posting here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Can't remember.
    I wasn't in at the time they installed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

They didnt charge me for any cabling

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends on whose installing it and if they want to make a quick buck or not

Regards

Shin

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, it would depend on who installs it and how much hassle/time would be involved in installing the phoneline.

Installers can charge for "extras" if need be. It's stated on the small print of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by shinzon
    excuse the language but thats just bollocks, 15 euro is all it should be no more no less, thats the contract, how much did they charge you if you dont mind me asking

regards

shin

I suggest you read the contract, its says the payment is for "Standard" installation which means any work considered not standard is charged for. Unfortunately sky have declined to specify what a "standard" installation is so it leaves it open to interpreation. Having said that paying 15 euro or a little more for a job which should cost 100 euro is still not a bad deal. remember the retailer has to pay out the remainder immediately and not get re imbursed by Sky for months.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

as far as im concerned, a contracts a contract is a contract, i read my agreemant and yes sky do not clarify what a standard installation is, so im not paying a red cent over whats signed sealed and delivered to me in the agreement, it does work both ways they can interpret it as they want (the installers who want to rip off the customer), and i can refuse to pay under those self same terms.

Will wait for the person whose gonna install SKY for me, if he thinks for one minute hes charging me, then ill just tell him not to bother coming and ring sky and cancel

The cheek of some companys are beyond belief

Think your gettin a bargain HAH

Regards

Shin

I think you might find that you get what you pay for, expecting everything for 15 euro is not realistic if the installer has to do extra work. Have you a phoneline available within 2 metres of your Tv for example. Of course you can refuse to pay thats your choice as a customer. There is no cheek involved in this it is simply an installer trying to get paid for his time in all but a few cases. You are getting a digibox which costs the retailer in excess of 300 euro not to mention the cabling and labour. It seems to me that your excpectations are unrealistic. No such thing as a free lunch.

Tony

as far as im concerned, a contracts a contract is a contract, i read my agreemant and yes sky do not clarify what a standard installation is, so im not paying a red cent over whats signed sealed and delivered to me in the agreement, it does work both ways they can interpret it as they want (the installers who want to rip off the customer), and i can refuse to pay under those self same terms.

Will wait for the person whose gonna install SKY for me, if he thinks for one minute hes charging me, then ill just tell him not to bother coming and ring sky and cancel

The cheek of some companys are beyond belief

Think your gettin a bargain HAH

Regards

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

you don't have to get in hooked up to a phone line do you? i have sky digital and i dont have it hooked up. i choose not to, you just use it for ordering movies and stuff but it's just as easy to do it by phone. don't allow them say it has to be hooked up to phone line cause there only lookin for more money!

Yeah I only ever plug mine in for movies, the rest of the time its out. You never know what those ads with "press the red button now" could charge or do to you

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conorb56

I have unplugged the phone line. I am tired of paying for SKY anyway, is there a free way, I heard of someone who has a card that can show everything, how can I get one?

I presume that card is not very legal and would not be the best of choices to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by conorb56
    I have unplugged the phone line. I am tired of paying for SKY anyway, is there a free way, I heard of someone who has a card that can show everything, how can I get one?

Not for Sky Digital. In the past for ITV Digital. Allegedly funnded by a competing encryption system.

Perhaps for some other systems. But piracy is not on the menu here.

You could start up your own broadcasting company and put SKY out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Sky's encryption system has not been hacked, as we know it.

And hacking is not up for discussion here. Them the Rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I suppose it depends on whose installing it and if they want to make a quick buck or not

Regards

Shin

I arranged to have Sky installed in a new house my daughter has moved into and like most people i believed the installation to be €15 for 'standard installation', when the whole thing was installed I was then informed it would cost €100,the reason being that most Sky agents in Ireland are NOT doing the Sky promotion because Sky are taking too long to pay them,up to 8 months and its not worth ttheir time.
    I am now checking what was in the agents original deal and see if the the promotion was mentioned anywhere. When I ordered it originally the agent did not mention that he was not involved in this promotion and I did'nt ask either,I just presumed when their is a promotion is advertises everybody does it- anyway be warned about Sky promotions in Ireland - ASK BEFORE YOU ACT

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    I arranged to have Sky installed in a new house my daughter has moved into and like most people i believed the installation to be €15 for 'standard installation', when the whole thing was installed I was then informed it would cost €100,the reason being that most Sky agents in Ireland are NOT doing the Sky promotion because Sky are taking too long to pay them,up to 8 months and its not worth ttheir time.
    I am now checking what was in the agents original deal and see if the the promotion was mentioned anywhere. When I ordered it originally the agent did not mention that he was not involved in this promotion and I did'nt ask either,I just presumed when their is a promotion is advertises everybody does it- anyway be warned about Sky promotions in Ireland - ASK BEFORE YOU ACT

Unfortunately sky are paying well outside the 28 day period they agreed and in some cases not paying at all saying things like "the customer did not take full package" etc (even though they are being charged 60 euro PM) So most of the guys I know are no longer taking part in the "offers", however the retailer should have made clear what charges were involved at the outset. IF you are taking the full package standard installation is €75 in any case, was there some additional work involved?

Tony

Originally posted by Bubba
    you don't have to get in hooked up to a phone line do you? i have sky digital and i dont have it hooked up. i choose not to, you just use it for ordering movies and stuff but it's just as easy to do it by phone. don't allow them say it has to be hooked up to phone line cause there only lookin for more money!

It is a condition of the contract, new connections must be connected permanetly to a working land line. You only pay extra if you actually use services like box office etc and you may have to pay installer if your phone socket is some way away form the Tv point or holes need drilling etc.

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by Tony
    Unfortunately sky are paying well outside the 28 day period they agreed and in some cases not paying at all saying things like "the customer did not take full package" etc (even though they are being charged 60 euro PM) So most of the guys I know are no longer taking part in the "offers", however the retailer should have made clear what charges were involved at the outset. IF you are taking the full package standard installation is €75 in any case, was there some additional work involved?

Tony

The only extra was installing the TV link in a bedroom

Advertisement