Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie sky digi question

Options
  • 12-06-2003 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭

sorry lads for asking what might be a dumbass question, but a friend has given me an old sky digibox (bout a year old). Is there any way I can hook this up to get free channels and where can I get a dish for it (if I need it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

read the FAQ...

Yes there are about 6 .. 12 decent Free channels, over 60possibly total. About 60 free Radio. From "Sky" at 28.2

www.satellite.ie or your local store for dish AND LNB. Go for a 80cm or 90cm dish as these are not much more expensive than sky minidish and means:
    No freezeup in heavy rain
    suitable for other satellites
    Suitable for simulatanous multisat.

Almost every 3 degrees of arc is a different satellite. Some oft hese work (badly) with Digibox via "Other Channels"

See www.lyngsat.com for lists of satellite.
    Check "footprint" actually "shines" on Ireland,
    Eg,
    AMos 1 @ 4W NO
    Thor etc at 1W Sort of with big dish
    Hispasat 30W, Sky/Astra2A,2B,2D/Eurobird 28.2E, Astra1 19E, Hotbirds 13E yes.

European and other in Ireland.
    Digibox with LNB/Dish pointed at Astra 19E will pick up most of the German Free channels, over 20.

Digibox with LNB/Dish pointed at Hotbirds 19E will pickup over 10 free Itallian and over 10 free Arabic.

Total free channels possible (though not all on Digibox) from Astra19E, "Sky" 28E and Hotbird 13E is about 600TV and 500 Radio,

If you not had sky, here is a chaeper option than buying a Dish, LNB and install:

Order Sky World at special offer install of what ever it is today (€15 to €50). You get new box, new remote, new dish, new LNB and installation.
    After 1 month downgrade to Family, Knoweldge or Value, OR sell box and card (keeping LNB and Dish ) to someone in UK/France etc who wants RTE.

After 1 year cancel.

The new box, LNB, Dish and remote is yours from day1. Sell the S/H box to someone who needs a replacement or extra box and can't get the new subscriber deal.

Some S/H ex Sky analog Dishes are fine. A smaller number of LNBs from the analog days work with Digital, the LNB needs to be a "Universal". If it is marked LO 10.000 it is NOT suitable.

Advertisement