Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry!!...How to Question

Options
  • 11-06-2003 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Just a quick Question
    CAN anyone help!!!! :confused::confused:

My brother in law is Kurdish living in Ireland
    he was asking what is the best, cheapest option to get Kurdish TV.....whilst looking at this forum and other web sites...found one TV channel available, which is KurdSat on Hotbird.
    Now...Question time...

Is there anymore channels you would recommend or know about?
    What do you need to get this?
    Must you pay a monthly charge, like to sky?
    What sort of gear would you need?

Thanks in advance...sorry if this has been asked before regrding other TV stations...
    The best answer gets a pint if living in Cork (cheap skate that i am!!)

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Kurdsat is free.

A digibox is not a good idea.

The Dish point to a different place than for Sky.

Humax, Nokia, Technomate, Palcom etc, NON-Digibox Digital Satellite receivers are from about €130 plus add Cable, LNB, and 80cm or 90cm Dish. Unless you very good at DIY and have patience pay also for install. See www.satellite.ie for Irish supplier of non sky equipment.

KurdSat is free.

Also you can have Hauppauge Nexus DVBs Card (A bit more than €200 perhaps), which is fitted to a PC. It has TV and Audio out / MPEG2 decoder built in to drive TVs, VHS, HiFi, Dolby Digital etc, and can record / replay direct to hard disk. The cheaper €100 ish Skystars PCI Satellite cards have no "Mulitmedia" bridge or "HW MPEG2 DSP" chips so rely entirely on PC sw on a higher power PC to run and thus don't have built in HW playpack to TV set or receive out to TV set or HiFi.

I forget if it is on Astra 19E or Hotbirds 13E, but I have watched it via my PC setup.

No monthly charges, and with some of these receivers and the PC ones you add a £20 box called a 4-way Diseqc switch at the cable end at the dish and can have easily 3 LNBs on the one dish for all the free Sky TV & Radio (see Sky FAQ) and all the free TV Radio on Hotbird and Astra 19 too.

About 600 TV and 500 Radio, no monthly sub. BBC after 14July too. (BBC Radio now).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Thanks Watty

Thats for the infomation...Had a look at the site http://www.satellite.ie ......I will pass on the info to my brother in law, who knows, I might even get one of these things Myself!!!

I think he will go down the road of getting a dish to make things as easy as possible.

Thanks again..for your fast reply....all the best....
    will even pop in some text later on (i would say a few weeks) on how things go.

Cheers

Dan

Advertisement