Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there so many religions?

• 14-05-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Just how many religions and gods are there out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Why are there so many different t-shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Why are there so many different t-shirts?

Are there as many religions as there are t shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

And now I have to help my youngest child to learn the something creed off by heart for her upcoming communion. Is there a parent in some far flung quarter of the world sitting down with their child right now getting them to learn something off by heart for another religious celebration to another God? So many questions and religions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Gerry G wrote: »

You might as well add godless philosophies to your list. They too are belief systems attempting to answer fundamental questions such as who we are, where do we come from and where are we going.

There are as many as there are people: not only have you got the headline gods and philosophies. You also have personal interpretation of them leading to each having their own individual belief system. You can have, for example, a Catholic who disagrees with abortion and a Catholic who agrees with abortion.

You can also have a rationalist/empiricist who believes in naturalistic (i.e. godless) evolution yet also believes there are objective moral values. And another with these beliefs who is a nihilist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

And now I have to help my youngest child to learn the something creed off by heart for her upcoming communion.

You don't have to, you are choosing to.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Advertisement

And now I have to help my youngest child to learn the something creed off by heart for her upcoming communion. Is there a parent in some far flung quarter of the world sitting down with their child right now getting them to learn something off by heart for another religious celebration to another God? So many questions and religions

It seems like you do not agree with the message you are helping your child learn (indoctrinating).
    If true, ask yourself "Why am I doing this?"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard on a debate once that there might have been 10,000 'Gods' in total human existence.

And for all believers, 9,999 of them are all nonsense, except for the one they believe in.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

"Why are there so many religions?"

It's a good question.

Could it be that humans worldwide, and throughout history, have a need for religion?

(depending on your definition of what religion even is)

Without flippancy or prejudice, this is worth a ponder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gerry G wrote:

Do you and your daughter believe in the God of the Catholic church?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Active religions, about 4200 apparently. Actual gods on the other hand, depends who you ask. Most people initially ask, or more often are told, by their parents, in which case the number is most likely one, a few dozen or none. If you look at all the gods, demi-gods, and other super natural entities that people previously believed in you would get tens of thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

It's because there's so many regions on the planet and they all had their own version's of creation, revelation , heaven and hell.

Cutting through all of the bullsh1t what's above sums it up perfectly in my head.

Advertisement