Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting HU situation in a WSOP qualifier

Options
  • 11-05-2005 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭

I was watching the final table of the $250 qualifier for the WSOP on Bodog. There was an overlay so first got a seat, 2nd got nothing.

When it got to HU the stacks were 25K and 19.5K but the chipleader was then disconnected. What did the other guy "LuckyCharms" do? He sat out and waited. When the CL came back he dominated and won.

What would you in Luckycharms shoes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

NickyOD wrote:
    I was watching the final table of the $250 qualifier for the WSOP on Bodog. There was an overlay so first got a seat, 2nd got nothing.

When it got to HU the stacks were 25K and 19.5K but the chipleader was then disconnected. What did the other guy "LuckyCharms" do? He sat out and waited. When the CL came back he dominated and won.

Raise every hand. I'm been in that exact situation in many STTs and I've done exactly that.

I haven't felt proud to say the least. Nor have I thought about it from a moral perspective, simply just seeing it as another edge to exploit. It's the kinda mood poker gets me into.

ie A win at all costs mentality. Shamefully enough I've never considered doing anything different. Even more shamefully nor do I now. I'm honestly regarding his poor connection as a weakness in his game. Much like playing A9 to a raise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I look at it this way, if I was the one disconnected, most players would not hesitate in raising and raising....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

NickyOD wrote:
    the chipleader was then disconnected. What did the other guy "LuckyCharms" do? He sat out and waited. When the CL came back he dominated and won.
    Wow, that's pretty good sportsmanship right there, fair play to him for being so decent. I don't know if I'd be that charitable, especially if there was a WSOP ticket on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TimFoil

amazing. lessons for us all there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Happened to me before on a tournament - no WSOP ticket but big difference in 1st & 2nd prizes. I waited for him to reconnect - won a few blinds when he had to fold his SB. When he came back I duely LOST - wouldn't do it again

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

I once watched The Salmon Play HU on ladbrokes...He plays the highest stakes...when the other guy was disconned he just sat out.
    I hope I would sit out, even for a WSOP ticket..
    What about a guy having a heart attack in a live game...Would ye consider that a "weakness in his game". Perhaps a kick in the head!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

If he has a heart attack, he has to forfeit. Raise the shít outta that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I'm pretty appauled to hear that people here would definitely call down his blinds while he was disonnected.

When I played a small event in AC a few years back I managed to get to a final table when the deck hit me in the face in the middle stages but whatever the hell I ate that morning made me very ill. We got down to 6 from a starting 170 or so and I was second in chips at the time. I HAD to leave the table, I was very sick but I knew if I just went and hurled up whatever was making me sick, had a drink of water I'd be ok. I stood up and said I was sorry but I had to blind off because I wasn't well (I think I was the colour of the felt at this point). 1 player suggested taking a 15 minute break. The tournament director said no and another player suggested that if the dealers wanted a nice tip from the prizepool they should wait. Everyone else agreed immediately. I went and threw up, a nice hostess brought me by the4 arm to to the bathroom :o I had a drink of water, came back, felt a little better and just a couple of hands later I busted the shorty and another player in the same hand when my Tens flopped a set. I was then a good chip leader but immedaitely offered to split 4 ways even though I was holding almost half the chips at the table.

If you consider winning the money by default more imnportant than winning it by playing the best poker then you should seriously rethink why you actually play this game. I certainly could never live with the guilt of winning an online tourney this way and I'd consider the ticket I won to be cursed. I play a bit of HU online and it happens al lot that a player might be sitting out because of the time you have to wait between matches. It might not be his fault. I mean who hasn't bean ****ed in the ass by their SP in the middle of an important game. Everyone has. Jesus I lost $450 in one hand in March because of a power cut. I have always waited 5 minutes minimum before calling down blinds and even then I will take the full 15 seconds every hand. I think I only ever didn't wait once but that was in the WCP qualifier which is a freeroll.

For the record the player LuckyCharms has been at my table a few times in Bodog tournies he is a VERY solid player, and has had some serious cashes, so nice guys DO NOT finish second. errr well in this case he did, but you get my point. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I agree with NickyOD. It happens to everybody at some stage and if you don't allow the other bloke (or female :eek: ) the chance, then you couldn't and shouldn't expect some else to do it for you.
    No that I'd ever get down to that stage but down to 2 in SnG's, I've often had to go to toilet, answer door, kid awake etc and I've said in chat "I'm off for a minute" and I've never had anybody try to rob me blinds. They've all just hit the time button.

What goes around and all that....

Well said NickyOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Actually the more I think about it the less guilty I feel. Fúck him, and fúck his crappy connection.

It's not like poker is a game of honour. If it was we wouldn't be scouring the net looking for as many shít players as possible packed into the same table. Preferrably compulsive gamblers all.

Everyone is seeking out players who are terrible at poker in order to extract money from them, buddying the really bad ones so they can find them and jump in on their left. I don't understand what the ethical difference is between that and raising someone whose connection is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

coz even if the players are crap, at least they are playing crap on a level playing field!?

i'm with the good guys on this one. there is an ethical and honorable way to play any game and i don't see this as any exception just because there is more immediate money at stake.

what about stealing chips? looking at your opponents cards? raising out of turn?

take any sport you like and you could find a similar example.............well maybe not dwarf tossing but you get the idea....

DapperGent wrote:
    Everyone is seeking out players who are terrible at poker in order to extract money from them, buddying the really bad ones so they can find them and jump in on their left. I don't understand what the ethical difference is between that and raising someone whose connection is down.

The difference is obvious.

Beign a bad poker player is one's own fault. Losing your connection is not.

I'd put this on an ethical par with spotting someone dropping their wallet, saying nothing and taking their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Happy Camper

So what you're saying is it isn't okay to take someone's wallet if they dropped it, unless it was a crappy wallet with only a couple of quid in it (I'm referring to your freeroll antics, by the way)?

So what you're saying is it isn't okay to take someone's wallet if they dropped it, unless it was a crappy wallet with only a couple of quid in it (I'm referring to your freeroll antics, by the way)?

So you don't see the moral difference between taking a wallet full of money and an empty wallet, nor the moral difference between calling down a disconnected players blinds in a $5 SnG and WSOP sat woth $12K?

And why would I steal an empty wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

karlh wrote:
    looking at your opponents cards?

If you were in a live game and the person next to you is making no attempt to hide their cards, i.e. you have to go out of your way to not see his cards.
    Would you tell him you can see his cards?

If you told him and he did not change. Would you tell him again or just look away so you couldn't see what he had?

The structure of tournament play means the longer a game goes on, the more of a disadvantage the blinds are to a shorter stack. If the blinds are currently comfortable for the shorter stack and the disconnected chip leader has enough of a big stack, the rising blinds will put more pressure on the smaller stack by the time the other player reconnects.

Should the big stack be given an extra advantage because their connection has failed?

NickyOD wrote:
    So you don't see the moral difference between taking a wallet full of money and an empty wallet, nor the moral difference between calling down a disconnected players blinds in a $5 SnG and WSOP sat woth $12K?
    There's no moral difference, there is a monetary difference. If you're going to plead moral authority, the least you should understand is morals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Happy Camper

NickyOD wrote:

I didn't say the wallet was empty. Just that you should get off your moral high horse or start playing your Freerolls like Jesus would :)

henbane wrote:
    There's no moral difference, there is a monetary difference. If you're going to plead moral authority, the least you should understand is morals.

lol. you're ****ing having me on right? You think there is no moral difference between taking a penny sweet and robbing a bank just because its both stealing? The monetary difference absolutely creates a moral difference.

• Advertisement

NickyOD wrote:
    lol. you're ****ing having me on right? You think there is no moral difference between taking a penny sweet and robbing a bank just because its both stealing? The monetary difference absolutely creates a moral difference.
    lol indeed

henbane wrote:
    The structure of tournament play means the longer a game goes on, the more of a disadvantage the blinds are to a shorter stack. If the blinds are currently comfortable for the shorter stack and the disconnected chip leader has enough of a big stack, the rising blinds will put more pressure on the smaller stack by the time the other player reconnects.

Should the big stack be given an extra advantage because their connection has failed?

Like I said I'd wait, but I wouldn't wait forever. If the blinds went up I'd call off a few.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

In my example - while I was waiting I got slagged by onlookers for not raising the blinds. In fact when I lost I got a host of people telling me I was a fool. In fact I felt a fool.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

NickyOD wrote:

Maybe it was a really nice wallet.

But on a more serious note I don't see how you can have double standards on an issue like this. You either think it's morally wrong and stealing or you don't. I think I'd just take his blinds until he got back online. On sites like stars you can't rob them straight away. It takes ages for the timer to time out each hand. Thus giving the other guy plenty of time to get back online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

podgeen wrote:
    If you were in a live game and the person next to you is making no attempt to hide their cards, i.e. you have to go out of your way to not see his cards.
    Would you tell him you can see his cards?

of course i would. would you not!? :eek: officially you should muck your hand if you see someone elses cards. personally i wouldnt since i didnt intentionally look but i would certainly tell (and have told) the person and maybe say it to the tourney director if it's happening repeatedly.
    podgeen wrote:
    If you told him and he did not change. Would you tell him again or just look away so you couldn't see what he had?

i'd tell him again and then the tourney director.

karlh wrote:
    officially you should muck your hand if you see someone elses cards.

eh?!

I just inform the person that I don't wish to see their cards. I'll do it a couple of times for repeat offenders but after that if I see them I see them. I'm not going to run to the tourny director to sort it out though. It's up to you to protect your own cards. If you don't then the other players should be allowed to take advantage of the fact.

biteme wrote:
    You either think it's morally wrong and stealing or you don't.

I don't. but I don't think winning a $5 SnG this way even compares to winning a WSOP ticket. It's ridiculous to compare the two. One is like calling your neighbour an asshole, the other is like killing his dog.

NickyOD wrote:
    I don't. but I don't think winning a $5 SnG this way even compares to winning a WSOP ticket. It's ridiculous to compare the two. One is like calling your neighbour an asshole, the other is like killing his dog.
    #

As was said earlier in the thread the morals of the issue have nothing to do with the monietary value of the prize. You either think it's wrong to steal someones blinds who has disconnected or you don't. The monietary value shouldn't come into the moral issue

biteme wrote:
    #

As was said earlier in the thread the morals of the issue have nothing to do with the monietary value of the prize. You either think it's wrong to steal someones blinds who has disconnected or you don't. The monietary value shouldn't come into the moral issue

MMmmmmmmmmm Perrhaps there's a curve...Lets call it "THE EXPONENTIAL CURVE OF MORAL PERVERSION"..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

There's no honour amongst thieves..

Read an interesting article once, can't remember where it was, where a player wrote that "sitting out/disconnecting" is a viable tournament strategy. His take on it was that if he had amassed enough chips at a point in the tournament then he would often then sit out and let other players get whittled down before playing again. Never understood it myself, but it takes all sorts..

If I was headsup and in this situation then I would raise on every hand, I'd expect my opponent to do the same to me. Poker is a dog eat dog game gentlemen, I can be as nice as the next guy but if you're in my way you've got to go. If I could see your cards I'd warn you the first time, and the second time, if you're too dumb to fix the problem after that and I happen to see your cards then that's your problem.

Would I feel guilty? Not really, I accept that the same thing would happen to me and therefore I can live with it. The only exception would be if it was someone I knew well and they had shown themselves to be of the kind of character who wouldn't do something similar, then I'd just let it time out each time for the first few minutes to see if they could get back on...

Advertisement