Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV tires

Options
  • 25-09-2023 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I'm nearing the time to replace the tires on my Ioniq5 and I'm exploring options. I'd appreciate hearing about others' experiences with tire replacements for EVs.

Is it worth investing in premium tires like the Hankook Ions? Or would it be wiser to stick with Michelin Primacys, essentially replacing them like-for-like?

How significant is rolling resistance in your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

Energy labels make our life easier these days. I would just go for a good quality, known brand with a A or B as the rolling resistance and A for the wet grip with as low noise rating as possible. I bought e-Primacy tyres in the past but found out since then that one way the e-Primacy gets its good efficiency rating is by having less thread, so the wet grip suffers as a result compared to the regular Michelin Primacy. This it not very good for a consumer.

The key here is to avoid any ditchfinder type of rubber which often have very poor wet grip while also having high rolling resistance and can be loud too. The top manufactures spend top dollar finding good compromises with the qualities so worth going for known brands i.m.o.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So back when I'd had the Leaf for a year it needed new tyres. Previous owner didn't change them for 3 years, understandable since they lived in Manchester (and forgot to erase their home address from the satnav 😂)

Anyways, had the choice of eco tyres for €130 each for cheap tyres for €65 each

I decided to go for the cheapo ones, 4 years later and they're still doing fine although the car doesn't see huge mileage, less than 10,000km per year

In terms of range, I'd say there was maybe a 3-5% penalty for the first few months. After a few months they wore in a bit and the consumption was back to normal

The ID.4 is due new tyres soon. I'm going to get some all weather's instead of the more common summer tyres. The car did some sliding on icy roads last winter and I'd prefer to have the extra grip

What I've found for the size tyres I need the cheapest all weather's out there are Goodyear anyway, so going for budget tyres isn't much of an option in my case

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Michelin Cross Climate SUV all year round.

Hard to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DrPsychia

Better to stick with non EV tyres and always avoid cheap Chinese ditch finders. EV tyres compromise grip so it's worse for safety. Michelin CrossClimate(all season), Hankook Kinergy 4s h750(all season), Michelin pilot sport 4 (summer) are excellent tyres. The pilot sport 4 has foam on the inner part of the tyre to reduce road noise so it would probably be the least noisy high-quality tyre.

Hankook Kinergy 4s h750 is excellent value at the moment.

Advertisement