Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from penneys

Options
  • 23-06-2019 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey there just wanted a bit of advice really, myself and a relative recently did something very stupid and tried to take something in penneys without paying. This was our first time doing something like this, so was very out of character. Myself, I was made redundant, and my relatives business was liquidised. We both were in dire straits to say the least. Subsequently we were both banned from our local penneys store. The head of security was very hard on us but the guards dealing with us were very understanding and sympathetic. Our problem is now, because there is only one penneys in our town, its hard to find reasons to tell our family and friends why we won't be venturing in, and it's very tough on us, emotionally and of course, financially. The advice I'm looking for, I'm not sure as I don't know what to do, we would do anything to be let back in.

I understand we committed a crime, but the guards were very understanding so we're not looking for another dressing down.

What can we do to be allowed back in?
    Can we be prosecuted if we were to venture back in sometime?

Any advice would be very appreciated

To say we regret our actions would be an understatement....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Only thing you could do is leave it for a while, like a few months or even a year and then try. If it was me, then after the above break, my first few visits would be on my own. Don't want them kicking you out when you're with your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your best bet is to contact Penney’s and plead leniency. It’s their store and their rules as to who they let in (once they are not discriminating of course). If you enter without permission you could be accused of trespassing.

Better to try and sort it all out with them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

They're perfectly entitled not to want you around their store. Do them and yourself a favour and stay away from the place. You'll survive without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lucky that isn't a court job thank God for little mercies.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would agree with leaving it for a little while and then try to contact the main store manager directly to meet face to face.
    Assure them it was an absolute one off and that it will never happen again and maybe suggest that you are happy for them to monitor you while in the store until you regain their trust.
    You may have burnt that bridge already, but it's worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

<SNIP>

Not up to standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Well you should've thought about the consequences before you decided to rob from Penney's

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

stephen15 - please don’t post if you have nothing constructive to add. The poster has acknowledged what they did. We are not going to berate them further.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'd say stop associating with that relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Give it a couple of months,then seek out the store manage, be honest and apologetic and ask for another chance.
    I appreciate it's awkward for you,but you've dodged a bullet if you don't have to explain a court appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod:

A number of posts have been deleted for falling well below the standards expected in PI. Any further wisecracks, or digs at the OP will earn an infraction or ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Can you not just come clean to your family. They know your situation.
    Start telling lies and it's only a matter of time before you are caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Delicate depression

Wheety wrote: »
    Only thing you could do is leave it for a while, like a few months or even a year and then try. If it was me, then after the above break, my first few visits would be on my own. Don't want them kicking you out when you're with your family.

Thank you wheely, that might be a good idea, maybe the security personnel will have moved on by then

dudara wrote: »
    Your best bet is to contact Penney’s and plead leniency. It’s their store and their rules as to who they let in (once they are not discriminating of course). If you enter without permission you could be accused of trespassing.

Better to try and sort it all out with them directly.

Thank you for your reply, it might be worth a shot, I will try and work up the courage

Abobyo wrote: »
    I would agree with leaving it for a little while and then try to contact the main store manager directly to meet face to face.
    Assure them it was an absolute one off and that it will never happen again and maybe suggest that you are happy for them to monitor you while in the store until you regain their trust.
    You may have burnt that bridge already, but it's worth a try.

Thank you that's the second suggestion for sorting it out with them directly, definitely might be worth a shot, honesty might be the best policy

antix80 wrote: »
    I'd say stop associating with that relative.

Why? Why would you assume my relative is any worse than I am for this happening? Stop associating with a relative over a silly mistake? Have you never done anything wrong in your life?

• Administrators Posts: 13,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Security personnel moving on might not matter much. A lot of shops have a 'wall of fame' of photos (mostly from their CCTV) of people. Categorised into 'watch very closely' and 'do not let in'.

Your only chance is to approach the manager and plead your case. Penneys isn't exactly a "necessities" shop. I'd be inclined to think if you were really in dire straits that you'd be more likely to steal food. No?

If you go to the manager, don't give half arsed excuses. Especially if what you stole wasn't exactly an essential item that you absolutely couldn't survive without. Put your hands up and accept whatever decision they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

What about going back to the guard & asking their advice?
    Maybe they could put a word in for you.
    We all do stupid things in life, hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Would you not come clean to your family so it doesn't turn into a long term lie ? It's bound to be noticed eventually if you can never go in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Why would ur family need to know about it? Just say you don't shop in penny's anymore. Simple really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sorry but it's bloody Penney's! Why are you so desperate to get in? There are plenty of other shops in Ireland that sell throwaway clothing and cheap tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

mvt wrote: »

No way would a Guard do that and rightly so. Management decide who is allowed in their shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Don't worry bout it they'll hardly remember you.
    <SNIP>

Mod: please keep posts on-topic. Thanks

Security personnel moving on might not matter much. A lot of shops have a 'wall of fame' of photos (mostly from their CCTV) of people. Categorised into 'watch very closely' and 'do not let in'.

Your only chance is to approach the manager and plead your case. Penneys isn't exactly a "necessities" shop. I'd be inclined to think if you were really in dire straits that you'd be more likely to steal food. No?

If you go to the manager, don't give half arsed excuses. Especially if what you stole wasn't exactly an essential item that you absolutely couldn't survive without. Put your hands up and accept whatever decision they make.

You're right. I will give it a go sure no harm in trying

No way would a Guard do that and rightly so. Management decide who is allowed in their shop.

SaltSweatSugar we have actually been back to the garda involved in our incident at the time and both would be happy to put a word in for us. Not everyone has such a negative attitude.

eurokev wrote: »
    Don't worry bout it they'll hardly remember you.

I saw your comment before it was edited and did a quick search, I saw what you're talking about but being outside with other people, they could have gone in for the person, would be too scared to risk it I'm easily recognisable I think

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

SaltSweatSugar we have actually been back to the garda involved in our incident at the time and both would be happy to put a word in for us. Not everyone has such a negative attitude.

Hardly a negative attitude. The Garda may say they are happy to do it, but they really have no say in it. You admit you shoplifted. You would do better to plead your own case with management rather than getting the investigating Garda to do it. It’s not their job. They’ve done their job.

Hardly a negative attitude. The Garda may say they are happy to do it, but they really have no say in it. You admit you shoplifted. You would do better to plead your own case with management rather than getting the investigating Garda to do it. It’s not their job. They’ve done their job.

Point taken thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

OP I remember reading a very similar thread previously on boards. If you search maybe under Legal Discussion, you might find something to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'd suggest to Penny's taking a year ban . If they say no I'd still leave it a year. Likely hood is security staff etc will have changed. Penny's not the centre of the universe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement