Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'If could bring in legislation to goddamn jail landlords, I would jail the Bastards"

Options
  • 05-06-2016 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/john-halligan-interview-2801068-Jun2016/

Well there you have it.

A minister for state wanting to solve his housing crisis by jailing landlords.

Maybe he should look at what the government have done to both cause and solve the crisis.

Well the solve side is easy to answer. Nothing.

But a minister coming our like that and wanting to jail the landlords is really going to help too.

What have we got running this country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

What an idiot.

If the government stick their nose into the housing industry the only sure thing to happen is house prices will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

There aren't enough properties to rent, that's the problem.

People don't want to become Landlords, that's the problem.

So threatening those people who are landlords with jail could be the solution.

Why didn't anyone think of that idea before? It's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If the government stick their nose into the housing industry the only sure thing to happen is house prices will increase.

Completely disagree there. The government needs to start building immediately, in fact they should have been doing this many years ago. This is an unholy mess that is gonna get much worse. They are trying to align the stars for the next building boom. Wait till you see what happens when this collapses

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Completely disagree there. The government needs to start building immediately, in fact they should have been doing this many years ago. This is an unholy mess that is gonna get much worse. They are trying to align the stars for the next building boom. Wait till you see what happens when this collapses

http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/central-bank-rules-fuelling-homes-crisis-draft-report-34773288.html

Governments first step, give people more money so they can spend more money. More debt is what people need in their opinion, the banks need to prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Your looking at from the problem side. And trying to suggest solution will the cause will create more problems for you to TRY and solve. You need to look at from a cause side. . why is it like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Haladay (sp?) really comes across as the idiots idiot. He wants to jail the landlords who contribute to the economy and provide a necessary service which, for reasons unknown, will then help the girl on rent allowance find a place that the market forces dictate she can't afford, rent allowance which is funded by those that contribute.

I don't know is this guy genuinely stupid or just ignorant, but either way he should be no where near a national parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Haladay (sp?)

I don't know is this guy genuinely stupid or just ignorant, .
    Quite the opposite. Very clever.
    Knows his target audience. And is playing to them.
    He knows he cannot solve the problem but fully intends to milk it an his new role for all he can to get reelected.

Quite the opposite. Very clever.
    Knows his target audience. And is playing to them.
    He knows he cannot solve the problem but fully intends to milk it an his new role for all he can to get reelected.

So much for new politics then!!!

Same old milk it for all she's worth mentality.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Haladay (sp?) really comes across as the idiots idiot. He wants to jail the landlords who contribute to the economy . ..
    I don't know is this guy genuinely stupid or just ignorant, but either way he should be no where near a national parliament.

I think he is appealing to mass idiot out there who also have a deep un trust in landlord's. It's sad his views have any stage for people to to hear this bull.

The government takes over 50% of my rental income every month and are the greatest beneficiary of rent increases. Could he not do something about the tax rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Raise the height limit in dublin and have a decent amount of saved space put aside for community features. Would drop rental prices by increasing supply while improving areas long term

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Wanderer78 wrote: »

They're spending money, but not building.
    The councils are buying up property left right and centre because they no longer have the experience to build houses anymore apparently.
    While long term, this is will help supply grow slowly, it won't do anything for the major supply issues currently

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

In many countries a minister for state would be forced to resign for attacking one group with something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Can we stick to the accommodation and property angle of what was said please. Plenty of places to discuss the politics. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I live in county Sligo. I'm an immigrant from America. I took a drive around the county the other day (you know the sort of thing "get lost on purpose and rely on the satnav to get back). I already knew of over a hundred units of unoccupied housing within a few miles of where I live in different estates, not counting single units available for sale. I found more while I was out driving. They're just sitting there. Some of them look clean and neat and there are cars always parked outside a few, which makes me think they are just largely finished houses with sparse occupancy. Most of the estates have signs up that they are for sale, often as lots rather than individual houses.

Are these the "ghost estates" I've been hearing about? How do these figure into the housing crisis? I hear people saying "more houses need to be built" when there are so many perfectly good houses here. Is it just basically that Ireland more or less thinks of itself as consisting only of people within the metropolitan areas of Dublin, Cork, Galway, and Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

^ you've hit the nail on the head there. Plenty of properties are available outside of Dublin, Cork & Galway. People want to live in these cities though for employment & family reasons.

Personally if I was living in a hotel room with my kids I'd be happy to take a house outside of my comfort zone. Life can be very good in country towns & villages.

Long commutes for people working aren't great for work/life balance & that's where building higher in cities has got to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

"The new minister of state had a visitor to his new office this week – a girl on rent supplement who gets a maximum of €475 per month. The cheapest one bed apartment she can find is €592."

Is rent supplement supposed to pay all your rent for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

psinno wrote: »
    "The new minister of state had a visitor to his new office this week – a girl on rent supplement who gets a maximum of €475 per month. The cheapest one bed apartment she can find is €592."

No, but the rent supplement figure includes the 10% she pays herself, she is not legally permitted to top up by any more, so she can't sign a lease for any more than the rent supplement threshold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

A single person renting a Rent Allowance Studio at 475pm would be paying 30-odd euros per week, or approx 140p/m, out of her own pocket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

What an idiot.

What you talking about. The only reason there are high rents is how far the government has its' snout into the property market.

The property market is rigged. And it's rigged in favour of the no-money-down-buy-2-let-landlord.

What was NAMA all about, what was bailing out the banks all about? It was about raising the prices of property to bail the landlord class out. And NAMA, what the asset "management" means in the name is rigging the market by keeping properties unoccupied. The banks are at it too.

It's rigged, by the Danny Healy-Rae types for the Danny Healy-Rae types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

It's easy to attack landlords. Lord knows many of them deserve it.

But the simple, straightforward solution is to increase supply.

There is also an argument for more rent control while we are in this situation. Now you'll see people jump on this issue straight away and argue against it. But really, it's just not true to say landlords are investing the increased profits they're making in maintaining and improving their properties. The standard of properties is as bad as it has ever been. So definitely there needs to be better regulation of the rental market in all aspects, that includes the demand side too with regards tenant's rights and bad tenants.

Canadel wrote: »
    It's easy to attack landlords. Lord knows many of them deserve it.

But the simple, straightforward solution is to increase supply.

There is also an argument for more rent control while we are in this situation. Now you'll see people jump on this issue straight away and argue against it. But really, it's just not true to say landlords are investing the increased profits they're making in maintaining and improving their properties. The standard of properties is as bad as it has ever been. So definitely there needs to be better regulation of the rental market in all aspects, that includes the demand side too with regards tenant's rights and bad tenants.

There is also a private housing/ social housing issue as is very little social accommodation being created. The private house sector being asked to take lower rent with no tennent database with no responsibility for damage that may occur. Landlord are being used as a scapegoat for decades of policy failure. People are falling for this trip. Tax alone is massive on landlord and then eviction proceedings costing a bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's not landlords' fault she can't get somewhere to rent, it's the anti-landlord system that's the problem.

nobody wants to go near the RA system, because tenants can stop paying whenever they want, take up to two years (or a hefty backhander) to get rid of, and can cause thousands of euros of damage to the property with no reprocussions.

and this (along with the banning of "no rent allowance" ads), has meant most landlords will intentionally price themselves just beyond the RA limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

iainBB wrote: »
    There is also a private housing/ social housing issue as is very little social accommodation being created.

The disengagement from building social housing is part of the strategy. The objective being to herd the tenant class like cattle into the milking parlours of the "private" sector.

They can't give a higher state pension to people of a higher social class, so they rig the market. It's all wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Increase supply with the intention of lowering property prices and rents is not on. That would crash the banks. Whose only business model is property prices rising at a rate higher than wages.......Wages being what makers earn...rents being what takers take.

The disengagement from building social housing is part of the strategy. The objective being to herd the tenant class like cattle into the milking parlours of the "private" sector.

They can't give a higher state pension to people of a higher social class, so they rig the market. It's all wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Increase supply with the intention of lowering property prices and rents is not on. That would crash the banks. Whose only business model is property prices rising at a rate higher than wages.......Wages being what makers earn...rents being what takers take.

So there is a conspiracy between most precious governments and current of course to under supply social housing to control people with debt.??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

psinno wrote: »

He's a Waterford man so I'm guessing his visitor was based in Waterford.

Just did a search on Daft in Waterford city for places a max of 450 per month and there is places available for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

What you talking about. The only reason there are high rents is how far the government has its' snout into the property market.

The property market is rigged. And it's rigged in favour of the no-money-down-buy-2-let-landlord.

What was NAMA all about, what was bailing out the banks all about? It was about raising the prices of property to bail the landlord class out. And NAMA, what the asset "management" means in the name is rigging the market by keeping properties unoccupied. The banks are at it too.

It's rigged, by the Danny Healy-Rae types for the Danny Healy-Rae types.

Wait until more and more REIT's own property. Every 24 months there will be a letter coming from their Texan landlord looking for market rents for the property. People might finally realise that Landlords regardless of whether they are a mom and pop or a global PLC want market rent for their properties.

If you think NAMA was set up for that reason, I suggest you start googling it. Also google Spanish and Italian books too. Italy has similar issues to Ireland. They have been telling themselves for the last 5/6 years that their banks are fine. Slowing Italian bank shares have been tanking and they are starting merge. Guess why? They have not looked at their balance sheet to basically get rid of the **** on it. What did NAMA do? It took the good and the bad off the banks. The end result is that we a some what healthy banking system now unlike Italy who will probably end up with a NAMA style bank in a few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If I could bring in legislation to goddamn jail idiot politicians, I would jail the bastards and the country wouldn't be in such a mess.

If you could bring in legislation, you would be a politician. Maybe you would have different ideas then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If you could bring in legislation, you would be a politician. Maybe you would have different ideas then?

I think that's the point of the comment, isn't it, that he would have different ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I think a lot of people, including government ministers it would seem are totally oblivious as to who is actually making a profit from rent.

Maybe there should be a breakdown of the rent in ads from now on.
    Something like.

For rent. 2 bed apartment.

Governments share €600 PM (Taxes, levies, stealth taxes, quangos)
    Banks Share €100 PM (interest)
    Landlords Share €300 PM

Total Rent due : €1000 PM

All made up figure of course, but there are some posts on boards with accurate figures and these are close enough.

Advertisement