Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSPS and other sleep problems

Options
  • 04-08-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I think I suffer from DSPS. I've been reading all about it, and it seems to be a good fit with my symptoms.
    It's really starting to have adverse effects on my life at this stage now.
    I can't fall asleep until the very earliest, 1AM, and that's on a good night. Most nights I become tired enough to sleep at around 2:30-3am, and I would usually sleep for around 9 or 10 hours, although I can manage 8 just about. Any less sleep, and I might as well forget about waking up.
    Waking up in the morning is completely impossible. I have multiple alarms set in the morning, and I sleep through them all. A typical morning generally consists of me waking up, grabbing my phone and seeing that it's around 11am-1pm and I've missed work. I'm sick of it.
    Everybody thinks that I'm really lazy, and it just makes me feel guilty and unmotivated when I wake up because I've missed everything I was supposed to do.
    I've tried everything. I've tried going to bed and sleeping before 12am, and all that happens is I can't fall asleep until 2 or 3 (I've tried this multiple times). I've tried doing this in combination with not sleeping for a night so I can fall asleep, and although it works for that 1 day, the following day the problems just return.
    I also suffer from sleep paralysis from time to time, and sometimes I have really, really intense dreams (some good, some bad) but I am not sure if these are linked or not.

I've been dealing with this since I was 16 or 17, and I am 19 now. My attendance for my leaving cert year was below 40%, and I ended up learning most of the subjects by myself, and I did pretty OK.
    However, my second year in college is coming up and unlike last year, where I started at 11am most days, which was very manageable, I now will be starting at 9am every day. This is going to be a huge obstacle for me. I don't know what to do. I need help.

I live in Galway, and I'm wondering if anybody has had any experience with this disorder before, and what did they do to help it? Should I go to a sleep clinic?

Thanks, guys.

Advertisement