Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bots & Overlays

Options
  • 29-07-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I'm working on a new feature for a site, the page has an overlay loaded via Jquert that is displayed when a certain link is clicked and there is a form loaded via AJAX into that overlay and the user can then enter details and submit it.

My question is, are bots able to view/interact when the overlay is loaded via Jquery/Javascript and the form itself is load via an AJAX call?

I've read the two accepted solutions here and it looks to answer my question but want to get further clarification as I want to omit having a security check on the overlay submissions form if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ziycon wrote: »
    My question is, are bots able to view/interact when the overlay is loaded via Jquery/Javascript and the form itself is load via an AJAX call?
    What kind of bots are you talking about? Someone could certainly write an automated script specifically targetted at your site, and it would be able to view and interact with the overlay. More general bots may or may not simulate clicks, depending on their sophistication and purpose
    Ziycon wrote: »
    I want to omit having a security check on the overlay submissions form if possible.
    What's the security check meant to prevent? What's the difference between a bot interacting with the form and a malicious user?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The form is using Google Recaptcha to filter out as much unwanted traffic as possible, once the form is submitted an email is sent from the server to the registered account with the message submitted on the form, it's being done this way to hide the users email address but in turn I don't want users to get spammed with messages from the form.

Advertisement