Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Traffic Light Sequence ...

Options
  • 06-06-2015 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

OK -the Irish Traffic lights. why are they sort of part UK'ish but not the full monty? - what I mean is they look exactly like the UK ones, but that why do they go directly from Red to Green and no amber (get ready to go) like the UK ones? - what is the idea ... I mean why?

Here's a few apologies in advance:

1.) Sorry (if) this has been done to death before
    2.) Sorry if it sounds like I am saying the UK Traffic light operating system is superior to the Irish traffic light sequence and that the UK things are better than the Irish things, I'm not saying that at all and am not insinuating that it is.
    3.) sorry if it sounds a very 'nerdy' and pointless thing to be posting about!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Flashing orange means get ready to go/go if safe, solid orange means prepare to stop.

I think it's just pedestrian crossing that flash orange though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Saw one the other day at roadworks with a countdown timer,thought it was a great idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Another idea would be to post on the Facebook of the driver that the light has changed, as they tend to be paying more attention to that when stopped at the lights anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

er I think your talking about pedestrians - I am talking about when your driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

• Advertisement

er I think your talking about pedestrians - I am talking about when your driving

No I'm talking about driving.

No I'm talking about driving.

oh right, havent seen that - and this is your normal run of the mill traffic lights yeah ? - or roadwork lights ye talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Saves money.

oh right, havent seen that - and this is your normal run of the mill traffic lights yeah ? - or roadwork lights ye talking about?

Pedestrian crossing lights, ie, not at a junction, their only sole purpose is to allow someone to cross. The orange starts flashing at the same time as the green man does, if no one is crossing, you can move off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Safer to break red lights sure.

• Advertisement

judging the way some people seem unaware the lights have changed to green and are still sitting there to the point you have to 'toot' them , maybe an amber 'get ready to move' and then green would be the way to go!

judging the way some people seem unaware the lights have changed to green and are still sitting there to the point you have to 'toot' them , maybe an amber 'get ready to move' and then green would be the way to go!

The problem in Ireland is that a lot of drivers would see the amber as put the foot down and accelerate off as fast as possible, like the orange before the red light means drive as fast as possible through the junction before it turns red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Countdown timers are great yokes, I'd also agree with the OP, there should be an amber in the Red (amber) Green sequence. It's silly not to have it, don't agree people would just take off on amber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Because Ireland simply does not possess the ability to do anything in a non-arseways manner.

There, I said it.

But it does do some things better than other countries so we shouldn't complain. [sarcasm detector explodes.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

The amber before green works well in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Another idea would be to post on the Facebook of the driver that the light has changed, as they tend to be paying more attention to that when stopped at the lights anyway.

Send them a message saying Please move along, they are not going to get any greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Whats the point in having the bulb in between of red and green if there not going to use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I think the traffic lights should be green,white. And orange :-)

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Whats the point in having the bulb in between of red and green if there not going to use it?

well they do use it - it goes 'green' - 'Amber' then 'Red' but then it goes 'Red' straight to 'Green' in Ireland.

I think in UK it goes 'Green' then 'Amber' then 'Red' then goes 'Red & Amber together' (i believe I have that correct) and then 'Green'

wonder why when traffic lights were invented they didnt make the Red stop light flash? .... mind you maybe it would give some motorists an epileptic fit! :eek:

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    I think the traffic lights should be green,white. And orange :-)

Early Irish traffic lights ran on Spuds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Another annoying thing about the traffic lights system is that you would think they would allow time for cars to get through a couple of sets without waiting at one only for the other one 100m up the road to go red and the next after that! Blackrock and North Circular Road I am looking at you! :mad:

jay-me wrote: »
    Another annoying thing about the traffic lights system is that you would think they would allow time for cars to get through a couple of sets without waiting at one only for the other one 100m up the road to go red and the next after that! Blackrock and North Circular Road I am looking at you! :mad:

got that in Sligo too on the inner 'relief??' road

jay-me wrote: »

Would that not depend on how many cars there are, and at what speed they are travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Random fact (that's kinda relevant)

I heard that most pedestrian lights change green for something something like 4.7 seconds and then amber for 1.7 seconds per metre width of the road.

That's why when you're walking across a pedestrian crossing the little green man disappears so quickly.

Grayson wrote: »
    Random fact (that's kinda relevant)

I heard that most pedestrian lights change green for something something like 4.7 seconds and then amber for 1.7 seconds per metre width of the road.

That's why when you're walking across a pedestrian crossing the little green man disappears so quickly.

#learnsomethingneweveryday ....

OK -the Irish Traffic lights. why are they sort of part UK'ish but not the full monty? - what I mean is they look exactly like the UK ones, but that why do they go directly from Red to Green and no amber (get ready to go) like the UK ones? - what is the idea ... I mean why?

Here's a few apologies in advance:

1.) Sorry (if) this has been done to death before
    2.) Sorry if it sounds like I am saying the UK Traffic light operating system is superior to the Irish traffic light sequence and that the UK things are better than the Irish things, I'm not saying that at all and am not insinuating that it is.
    3.) sorry if it sounds a very 'nerdy' and pointless thing to be posting about!

In the North every time I was second at the lights the first driver always, always took off at amber. Nobody ever waited for green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

In the North every time I was second at the lights the first driver always, always took off at amber. Nobody ever waited for green.

true there is that too - i always used to think that red & amber before going green meant 'off you drive if its safe to do so because its going to change to green in a second anyway' when i used to drive in the UK.

Yeah, the Irish traffic light sequence must feel weird going straight from red to green with no amber in between for some drivers down from the North and UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What colour comes after green?

Advertisement