Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stumbling at end of sprint in rugby

Options
  • 14-04-2015 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I've recently started training for tag rugby for the summer season. I'm really enjoying it but one thing is holding me back, when I sprint with the ball my balance goes completely off! During training I get the ball, sprint half the pitch but stumble just before the try line. It's infuriating because I can usually get through the other team and have no problem outrunning anyone but then I fall and the ball gets turned over. When I played soccer when I was younger I was able to sprint with no problems whatsoever.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing this or any drills that could help me overcome it? The season doesn't start for another month so I have a bit of time to try and correct myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Are you stumbling because you're becoming exhausted by the end of the sprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Zillah wrote: »
    Are you stumbling because you're becoming exhausted by the end of the sprint?

No, I can get up and have no problem going all out again for another 4-5 sprints during a game. I did a lot of HIIT style training during the winter because I had nothing else on, I find it ruins training for any sport if I do it during a season

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So what's the nature of the problem? Do you get so fast that your feet just can't keep up? It is psychological as you near the try-line? Do you just mysteriously fall over for no apparent reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

TheSegal wrote: »
    I've recently started training for tag rugby for the summer season. I'm really enjoying it but one thing is holding me back, when I sprint with the ball my balance goes completely off! During training I get the ball, sprint half the pitch but stumble just before the try line. It's infuriating because I can usually get through the other team and have no problem outrunning anyone but then I fall and the ball gets turned over. When I played soccer when I was younger I was able to sprint with no problems whatsoever.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing this or any drills that could help me overcome it? The season doesn't start for another month so I have a bit of time to try and correct myself.

Practice grounding the ball at an increased speed until you work your way up to doing it at close to full tilt. It's a new skill, you're unsure of what to do so your body freaks out. You need to become more comfortable with what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Do you kick the back or sides of your legs off each other once or twice towards the end? its sounds silly but when i get close to the finish of a sprint and i get carried i do that and sometimes stumble? you probably need to focus more on how your legs are actually moving

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Do you start checking around you more than looking ahead? That would send your balance all over the shop.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

TheSegal wrote: »

If the reason you fall is because you've got a ball in your hand then you've got to practice running with the ball in your hands!. Move it up gradually, starting with just walking around then try going for a slow run for a couple of miles with the ball in hand, then practice going at a fast pace but not sprinting and finally practice sprinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

A simple drill that might help you:

Set up two cones thirty yards apart, and start at one with a rugby ball in your hand. With the ball in one hand, run at about 70% of your max to the other cone, switching the ball to the other hand when you get halfway. Ground the ball just past the second cone, take a few seconds' rest, then repeat back to the first cone, but start with the other hand - so if your first switch was right to left, the second should be left to right. Do this a few times in a row, upping your pace slightly after each pair until you're going full tilt. If you can consistently do this but still find yourself stumbling in a game, then you've at least eliminated carrying as the cause.

Also - one thing that may be contributing is the way you hold the ball. If you tuck it under your arm, then one side of your body will be producing less drive than the other, which can cause problems if you're at maximum pace. Gripping it in your hand, or between your hand and forearm, allows you a lot more freedom to drive properly with your arms.

Advertisement