Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not taxing a car on purpose, what penalties are there?

Options
  • 11-05-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

This cropped up in conversation yesterday and nobody was 100% sure of the answer, even though someone involved was actually doing it. What penalties are there for driving a car without current motor tax?

Most believed you'd be OK for 2 months, after that the car could be seized and crushed if the outstanding tax wasn't paid, plus you would get a fine for non-display of tax, but everyone was adamant that no penalty points were issued. Nobody was certain what happens if a car was seized and you declined to pay the tax arrears and storage fees etc. Even after the car is crushed are you still liable for this money or does it "die" with car?

It was suggested that if buying a cheap older car there was essentially no real disincentive to those who didn't tax it, other than the moral issue.

So, buy a car for €1000 with a motor tax bill of €1500, drive it until caught, paya small fine, let the car be crushed and buy another. I'm told some people do it regularly, but then I'm told a lot of things!

Anyone have the facts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

These super cheap clunkers are known as "company cars" and used to be the favourite mount of small time gang members.
    Clapped out NCT failures worth only a few hundred or less so little or no loss if seized and crushed.

I would imagine a huge fine and penalties would be incurred as the govt try to reclaim as much of the tax as possible, impossible if you are penniless and have no assets the tax people can take off you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Pa2k

My tax ran out at the end of January and the car was seized Wednesday. Got it back Thursday afternoon costing €125. Still didn't tax it and haven't received any other contact from gardaí. By law your fine for 2 months anything after that is garda discretion

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

This is one of a few well known, ripe for abuse situations, the system for older cars is setup to fail entirely, for example, an old > 3.0L engine car costing around 1000...tax bill is between 1800 - 2000 depending on how you pay.

Get pulled over.....No display fine and Impound fee - €185, no points or conviction, means you would need to be caught 10 times before it makes sense, apart for the minor inconvenience of walking home there is no substantial punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It is a very badly thought out system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

You will be summonsed to court for no tax and non display of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I thought the whole point of this off the road declaration business was that if you're caught with the car on the road after declaring it off, you're liable for a €1000+ fine?

Is this not the case?

If it is the case, how are people getting around it? Just not declaring it off the road?

What happens if it's declared on the road, you're caught 4 months down the line with no tax, car seized etc, are you not liable for arrears too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I thought the whole point of this off the road declaration business was that if you're caught with the car on the road after declaring it off, you're liable for a €1000+ fine?

Is this not the case?

If it is the case, how are people getting around it? Just not declaring it off the road?

What happens if it's declared on the road, you're caught 4 months down the line with no tax, car seized etc, are you not liable for arrears too?

Not declaring.

I thought if you were out of tax and it was impounded you had to pay a fine plus fee plus the old tax to get it back?

That's what I thought, because you can't retrospectively declare a car off the road any more.

Still no comments on actual penalties, anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Not declaring.

I thought if you were out of tax and it was impounded you had to pay a fine plus fee plus the old tax to get it back?

not presumably if you let them crush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's fookin stupid. The whole SORN system was brought in and if you declare your car off the road and continue to drive it you're in trouble.

The solution seems to be that if you don't declare it off the road and continue to drive it sans tax you *could* get away with it for years and when you do get caught your car is released for about the equivalent of a months tax on a luxobarge.

Haven't been stopped in any shape or form for years myself and I'd nearly put it to the test but knowing me I'd be pulled on day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Is this not the case?
    That's what they say.
    But are there any real life examples of anyone fined that much?

Yes. Not declaring off the road and driving - same as before law changed.
    You only become liable for arrears once you intend to tax the car.
    And to be honest, there is no one who can force you to tax it - I don't think even court can.

Not declaring.

Towing charges and storage fee -- yes.
    But no need to pay the tax before they release the car for you. It's generally none of their business if you tax it or not.

CiniO wrote: »
    Towing charges and storage fee -- yes.
    But no need to pay the tax before they release the car for you. It's generally none of their business if you tax it or not.

Hmm so if I'm caught on the road without a tax say out 12 months, I pay the storage fee and tow fee plus fine?
    I don't have to pay the arrears?

What tosspot thought up of that system and what other tosspots failed to notice it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

carzony wrote: »
    You will be summonsed to court for no tax and non display of tax.

You MAY, be summoned to court maybe not.

You only become liable for arrears once you intend to tax the car.
    And to be honest, there is no one who can force you to tax it - I don't think even court can.

Ok so those who play the game, have their vehicle seized and then get the car released, they can never essentially tax the car ever, as they will have to pay arrears?

That's the only way I can see it can work for them. I.e. there's no way of doing 3 months on, 2 months off any more as there will always be arrears?

Those who don't declare their car off the road and continue to drive, they'll never pay tax again in their lives without a change of ownership, is that correct?

Ok so those who play the game, have their vehicle seized and then get the car released, they can never essentially tax the car ever, as they will have to pay arrears?

That's the only way I can see it can work for them. I.e. there's no way of doing 3 months on, 2 months off any more as there will always be arrears?

Those who don't declare their car off the road and continue to drive, they'll never pay tax again in their lives without a change of ownership, is that correct?

Change owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Presumably the motor tax liability remains outstanding, even if you pay the releasing charge or transfer ownership though?

They tried to copy the uk sorn , but our tax rates are so unfair that it encourages people to break the law in Ireland . Here's the uk rates

ROAD TAX RISES FOR 2001 to 2010 CARS
    Duty rises for cars registered before 1 April 2010:
    Band A up to 100g/km CO2
    £0 – change £0
    Band B 101-110g/km
    £20 – change £0
    Band C 111-120g/km
    £30 – change £0
    Band D 121-130g/km
    £100 – change £5
    Band E 131-140g/km
    £120 – change £5
    Band F 141-150g/km
    £135 – change £5
    Band G 151-165g/km
    £170 – change £5
    Band H 166-175g/km
    £195 – change £5
    Band I 176-185g/km
    £215 – change £5
    Band J 186-200g/km
    £250 – change £5
    Band K 201-225g/km
    £270 - change £10
    Band L 226-255g/km
    £460 - change £15
    Band M Over 255g/km
    £475 - change £15

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2118653/New-road-tax-bands-Top-rate-rises-1-030-polluting-cars--Budget-2012.html#ixzz31RizSHOX
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Presumably the motor tax liability remains outstanding, even if you pay the releasing charge or transfer ownership though?

No, the new owner is only liable from date of purchase.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    No, the new owner is only liable from date of purchase.

What about the old owner? Do the liabilities just expire if he no longer owns the car?

• Advertisement

What about the old owner? Do the liabilities just expire if he no longer owns the car?

Pretty much, yeah.

Hmm so if I'm caught on the road without a tax say out 12 months, I pay the storage fee and tow fee plus fine?
    Only fixed penalty notice fine they can issue is 60 quid for non-display of tax disc.
    If they want to prosecute you for driving without tax, it must go to court first.

Your car can be towed away by law if tax is out by more then 2 months, but afair there is nothing stopping you to pay towing fee and storage fee, and pick it up next day. They are not entitled to check whether you paid any fines or taxed your car in storage yard. You pay your towing and storage fees, and you are free to take your car.
    I don't have to pay the arrears?
    You don't.
    Only moment arrears become due, is when you actually proceed to tax your car. If this never happens, you are not due to pay arrears.

You might obviously end up in court for driving untaxed vehicle.
    And it might be a good defence for you to have your vehicle taxed before court case. (so your fine might be lower)
    And to tax it, you will need to pay arrears.

But there is nothing in this world that could force you to tax the vehicle.
    If you don't tax it, you still end up in court and you will get fined for driving without tax, but they still can't force you to tax the vehicle, effectively causing you won't be forced to pay arrears.

Yes, that's correct.
    But change of ownership is just a simple signature and cost of envelope and stamp. Not too much bother i'd say.

They don't expire.
    Those liabilities you are talking about never existed.

Once your tax expire, and you don't renew it, then vehicle is untaxed.
    There is no liabilities at this stage. You don't owe a thing.
    Your vehicle is untaxed, so you can't legally use it in public place, but you are not liable for any tax or arrears.

Only possible way, when arrears for untaxed period might become due, is when you actually proceed to tax the vehicle.

If you scrap the car, or change ownership, then it means you are not going to tax this car anymore, therefore your arrears don't become due.

Only fixed penalty notice fine they can issue is 60 quid for non-display of tax disc.
    If they want to prosecute you for driving without tax, it must go to court first.

Your car can be towed away by law if tax is out by more then 2 months, but afair there is nothing stopping you to pay towing fee and storage fee, and pick it up next day. They are not entitled to check whether you paid any fines or taxed your car in storage yard. You pay your towing and storage fees, and you are free to take your car.

You don't.
    Only moment arrears become due, is when you actually proceed to tax your car. If this never happens, you are not due to pay arrears.

You might obviously end up in court for driving untaxed vehicle.
    And it might be a good defence for you to have your vehicle taxed before court case. (so your fine might be lower)
    And to tax it, you will need to pay arrears.

But there is nothing in this world that could force you to tax the vehicle.
    If you don't tax it, you still end up in court and you will get fined for driving without tax, but they still can't force you to tax the vehicle, effectively causing you won't be forced to pay arrears.

Those 1k jags have become all the more tempting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

so you can drive your car without tax then "sell" it to your mate and then have them "sell" it back to you and that would avoid any back taxing?
    interesting..

so you can drive your car without tax then "sell" it to your mate and then have them "sell" it back to you and that would avoid any back taxing?
    interesting..

Yep....I did it recently. The car was off the road genuinely for the last 6 months, however the log was delayed in arrival and I only realised too late that I only had 10 days from date of purchase to declare it off the road. I thought it was 10 days from when the log arrived for some reason.
    Anyway as the car hadn't been used on the road, I was in my **** paying 6 months tax.
    Extra owners, but there's feck all difference when 3 of the 7 owners have been you/your friend and I've photocopies of that should I ever need to sell.

Interesting reading.

So to come back to the off the road declaration, does anyone know what the penalty is for being caught on the road in a vehicle that's declared off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

interesting..
    Yep, that's the system as it currently stands.

• Advertisement

What are the penalties for:

a) driving a car without tax

b) driving a car which has been declared off the road?

Advertisement