Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Boyd Barrett spared conviction despite admitting second speeding offence

Options
  • 08-05-2013 6:07pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Richie was caught speeding again, gave an out-of-date address to which the fine went to, was summoned to attend court, pleaded guilty but explained he never got the original notice as it went to an old address. Judge strikes it out and Richie walks away without a conviction.

More Info: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/td-spared-conviction-despite-admitting-second-speeding-offence-593779.html

I assume Richie forgot he gave an old address when the Gardai fixed penalty notice didn't arrive. But he appears not to have forgotten to tell the Judge that he never got the original notice, ensuring his case would be thrown out. Would have been four penalty points if he was convicted on the day.

Left wing TDs seem to be in the awl spotlight recently, with Ming & Daily also under the watchful eye of the law in the past few months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

What a misleading OP. Barrett got fined so its not like he got away with it as you insinuate.

Likewise I wouldn't consider Ming to be left wing, and Daly was stitiched up by the Gardai Siochana, so one wonders why you're trying to draw a connection between 'left wing' TDs and traffic offences.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

TINA1984 wrote: »
    What a misleading OP. Barrett got fined so its not like he got away with it as you insinuate.

Here you go darling
    People Before Profit TD Richard Boyd Barrett was spared a conviction, fine and penalty points today despite admitting a speeding offence and giving a garda an out-of-date address.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/td-spared-conviction-despite-admitting-second-speeding-offence-593779.html
    Likewise I wouldn't consider Ming to be left wing, and Daly was stitiched up by the Gardai Siochana, so one wonders why you're trying to draw a connection between 'left wing' TDs and traffic offences.

Stitched up? Did she or did she not perform an illegal U-Turn? Did she or did she not drive with alcohol on her, even if she was under the limit? Did she or did she not attract the attention of the Gardai due to her driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Sully wrote: »
    Richie was caught speeding again, gave an out-of-date address to which the fine went to, was summoned to attend court, pleaded guilty but explained he never got the original notice as it went to an old address. Judge strikes it out and Richie walks away without a conviction.

More Info: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/td-spared-conviction-despite-admitting-second-speeding-offence-593779.html

I assume Richie forgot he gave an old address when the Gardai fixed penalty notice didn't arrive. But he appears not to have forgotten to tell the Judge that he never got the original notice, ensuring his case would be thrown out. Would have been four penalty points if he was convicted on the day.

Left wing TDs seem to be in the awl spotlight recently, with Ming & Daily also under the watchful eye of the law in the past few months.

So the moral high ground and principles are just for the talking in the Dail and on TV? On a personal level they do not count?

Oops mea cupla.

However i'm still not seeing the issue here, Barrett didn't try to deny his culpability.

No ''I was on my way to a Dail meeting" or "I'll have you transferred to another station Garda down the country", Y'know the kind of excuses the politicians from gombeen parties like to use when caught?
    Stitched up? Did she or did she not perform an illegal U-Turn? Did she or did she not drive with alcohol on her, even if she was under the limit? Did she or did she not attract the attention of the Gardai due to her driving?

An iilegal U-turn you say? outrageous!!?!! off with her head!

Of course the story being leaked early to the press literally minutes after it happened, with the insinuation that Daly was going to be done for drink driving, had nothing to do with the fact that Daly had a few short months previously launched a campaign on the Garda Siochana rescinding penalty points for the great and the good.

Oh no.

Definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I'm finding it odd that small-party and independent TDs are having all the trouble with the law. So far we have had Mick Wallace, Clare Daly, Ming and now Boyd-Barrett.

We have no TDs at all from the main parties being hauled up by the police or courts in this way.

Are the small-party TDs less law abiding than the big party ones, or could there be something else going on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Clare Daly

you mean the DD thing ?

i thought she was the victim there

I'm finding it odd that small-party and independent TDs are having all the trouble with the law. So far we have had Mick Wallace, Clare Daly, Ming and now Boyd-Barrett.

We have no TDs at all from the main parties being hauled up by the police or courts in this way.

Are the small-party TDs less law abiding than the big party ones, or could there be something else going on?

and you've never heard of FF?

a rather large party and have a lot of trouble with laws and ethics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Claire Daly did not have trouble with the law.

It's actually something of an occupational hazard, it just doesn't grab media headlines when it happens to others
    http://beta.newstalk.ie/tds-more-likely-to-have-penalty-points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

so in your opinion it was only Daly that was setup for the fall is it? it's not only garda in marked cars that can sieze the opportunity to have something over ya or try screw ya

G Power wrote: »
    so in your opinion it was only Daly that was setup for the fall is it? it's not only garda in marked cars that can sieze the opportunity to have something over ya or try screw ya

this forum is not AFTER HOURS in case you didn't know

• Advertisement

it's highly suspicious alright, NOT!! anybody with half a brain can see what's happening here ffs!! there is an agenda goin on and the people still sit back hoping the same people running this agenda now decide someday to look after the people instead of their crony friends and associates

this forum is not AFTER HOURS in case you didn't know

what exactly do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,811 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Think you meant to post here..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Here you go darling

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/td-spared-conviction-despite-admitting-second-speeding-offence-593779.html

To be fair, at the best of times Gardai are less than attentive to such infringements of the rules of the road , otherwise most of the taxi drivers in Dublin would be off the road by now. I suspect Daly's interest in the quashing of penalty points for senior figures in the establishment just might have had a bearing on it, too coincidental for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

LOL, first Daly scrapes under the drink drive limit after a series of what could uncharitably be referred to as delaying tactics. Now, RBB pulls the ol' "didn't get the notice" routine used by chancers in the district courts up and down the country every day to 'get off' traffic offences. The left wing high horse is looking pretty hobbled these days......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

There was a friend of mine caught speeding in the Kildare area. He knew he was done and was waiting for the fine. No sign of it for months. A court summons then arrives for non payment of the speeding fine. He goes to court and pleads his case. The judge, who is known around here for being draconian, slaps him with 4 penalty points (fair enough) and a 1000 euro fine! Outrageous that "normal" citizens can be treated like this and yet Richie can walk away with nothing,

There was a friend of mine caught speeding in the Kildare area. He knew he was done and was waiting for the fine. No sign of it for months. A court summons then arrives for non payment of the speeding fine. He goes to court and pleads his case. The judge, who is known around here for being draconian, slaps him with 4 penalty points (fair enough) and a 1000 euro fine! Outrageous that "normal" citizens can be treated like this and yet Richie can walk away with nothing,
    Sounds like what you're complaining about is an uneven enforcement by district court judges. Some people get off, some people don't

Not sure how much things have changed, but:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-great-escape-25972704.html
    Only one-in-seven of those who did not pay initially ultimately paid a fine or had four penalty points attached to their licence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Oops mea cupla.

However i'm still not seeing the issue here, Barrett didn't try to deny his culpability.

No ''I was on my way to a Dail meeting" or "I'll have you transferred to another station Garda down the country", Y'know the kind of excuses the politicians from gombeen parties like to use when caught?

No, he used a different 'get out of jail free card' with the "Oh I didn't get the notice, it went to an old address!". Surely Barrett remembered he was pulled over and a fine was on-route? Surely he noticed he gave an old address and should immediately have tried to get the notice re-sent to his correct address?
    An iilegal U-turn you say? outrageous!!?!! off with her head!

Of course the story being leaked early to the press literally minutes after it happened, with the insinuation that Daly was going to be done for drink driving, had nothing to do with the fact that Daly had a few short months previously launched a campaign on the Garda Siochana rescinding penalty points for the great and the good.

Oh no.

Definitely not.

Minor or significant, she was hardly 'stitched up'. She was caught breaking road traffic laws and wouldn't give a breath sample on site for the Gardai to clear her there and then, so she was brought back to the station for further testing to see if she was over the limit. She wasn't, but she wasn't 'Zero' either and she fully admitted drink driving (driving with drink, and again, I stress she was below the limit and I am not suggesting otherwise).

Now the way she accuses the Gardai of handling her and the way it was leaked out to the press so soon, is something I can't condone of course. But when you make enemies, I guess they come down on you like a ton of bricks and if this was any other TD on government level she would likely have berated them.

No, he used a different 'get out of jail free card' with the "Oh I didn't get the notice, it went to an old address!". Surely Barrett remembered he was pulled over and a fine was on-route? Surely he noticed he gave an old address and should immediately have tried to get the notice re-sent to his correct address?

Of course, dodging the law on motoring offences isn't just a 'left wing' thing as you might imply....

A FINE Gael councillor who sped away from a Garda checkpoint before abandoning his car and hiding in a bush behind a churchyard was convicted of drink driving.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/fine-gael-councillor-who-sped-away-from-garda-checkpoint-convicted-of-drink-driving-29133456.html

And a few more links to concentrate the mind....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055012967

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youll-get-nothing-when-were-in-power-fine-gael-td-tells-garda-26682045.html

No doubt If I dig through your posting history Sully I'll find a thread decrying 'right wing' TDs who are in the spotlight an ''awful'' lot lately, right Sully? Its not like you're just trying to score cheap shots against your political rivals is it?...

Now the way she accuses the Gardai of handling her and the way it was leaked out to the press so soon, is something I can't condone of course. But when you make enemies, I guess they come down on you like a ton of bricks and if this was any other TD on government level she would likely have berated them.

So its ok then for the Gardai Siochana to consider Clare Daly an "enemy" is it? Just because she had the temerity to stand up to the GS's penchant for letting off the great and the good from trivial motoring offences? Here was me thinking the GS should be fair and impartial in their dealings with the general public...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Minor or significant, she was hardly 'stitched up'. She was caught breaking road traffic laws and wouldn't give a breath sample on site for the Gardai to clear her there and then, so she was brought back to the station for further testing to see if she was over the limit. She wasn't, but she wasn't 'Zero' either and she fully admitted drink

AFAIK she did give a sample on the side of the road but the equipment did not register the reading and so she was taken to the station. I don't think it was ever stated why the equipment did not work. In the light of what happened later one could always speculate whether it was in anyone's interest to bring her to the station as opposed to an immediate reading on the side of the road.

• Advertisement

But when you make enemies, I guess they come down on you like a ton of bricks
    Except, this is a police force charged with an even application of the law and its processes, fairly and without prejudice.

mhge wrote: »
    AFAIK she did give a sample on the side of the road but the equipment did not register the reading and so she was taken to the station. I don't think it was ever stated why the equipment did not work. In the light of what happened later one could always speculate whether it was in anyone's interest to bring her to the station as opposed to an immediate reading on the side of the road.

what would she gain refusing to do the breath test?

she's gonna be brought to station and doctor called for sample-prob in double quick time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No one ever said the breathalyser didn't work. It was Daly herself (hardly an unbiased source) who said it didn't register a reading, implying it was broken, but even she didn't actually state that it was. By far the most common reason for not registering a reading is that the person hasn't blown into it enough, usually deliberately.
    what would she gain refusing to do the breath test?

she's gonna be brought to station and doctor called for sample-prob in double quick time?

It can be hours before a doctor gets there so people who know or suspect they are over the limit sometimes pretend they cannot blow a breath sample in the hope they will drop below the limit by the time a doctor gets to the station.

It has never been established how long elapsed between Daly being stopped and her urine sample being taken. I have also seen no mention of whether she have/didn't give a breath sample on the 'proper' breathalyser at the station, which would be standard practice.

This is the second time you have missed a line when reading text online, which is a bit disappointing. I suggest you take another look at my original post as I clearly stated that it was only recently I was referring to and not in general. I think we can all point to examples of other TDs stepping into hot water with the Gardai.
    No doubt If I dig through your posting history Sully I'll find a thread decrying 'right wing' TDs who are in the spotlight an ''awful'' lot lately, right Sully? Its not like you're just trying to score cheap shots against your political rivals is it?...

Can't say I can recall any string of right wing TDs being in the spotlight due to a Garda investigation in the space of a few months since I took active interest in politics. So no, its likely you wont find such posts. As for them being my 'political rivals' - I don't see any of the named TDs as a threat. There effectively Independents that are pretty much guaranteed a seat in the Dail regardless.

[quite]So its ok then for the Gardai Siochana to consider Clare Daly an "enemy" is it? Just because she had the temerity to stand up to the GS's penchant for letting off the great and the good from trivial motoring offences? Here was me thinking the GS should be fair and impartial in their dealings with the general public...[/QUOTE]

My my, you probably need to head over to Specsavers because your after missing out on another part of my post. Selective eyesight or should we be genuinely concerned for your sight? Because, if you read my post, you will see that I said their behaviour was something I couldn't condone.

Though, it does smack of her being completely hypocritical considering she wanted to release the name of people who had penalty points 'wiped' on appeal to their local Super. Its okay she releases their names, but not when it comes to her breaking the law and being at 45 milligrammes of a legal limit of 67 milligrammes plus the U-Turn.
    mhge wrote: »

Think there was a mix of reports at the time about whether she did or didn't, and her statement was contradicted by the media at the time.

No one ever said the breathalyser didn't work. It was Daly herself (hardly an unbiased source) who said it didn't register a reading

The Gardaí can't make a statement on the details Claire Daly's case, so your position is about as valuable as any other attempt to prove a negative: a complete waste of time.

No one ever said the breathalyser didn't work. It was Daly herself (hardly an unbiased source) who said it didn't register a reading, implying it was broken, but even she didn't actually state that it was. By far the most common reason for not registering a reading is that the person hasn't blown into it enough, usually deliberately.

It can be hours before a doctor gets there so people who know or suspect they are over the limit sometimes pretend they cannot blow a breath sample in the hope they will drop below the limit by the time a doctor gets to the station.

It has never been established how long elapsed between Daly being stopped and her urine sample being taken. I have also seen no mention of whether she have/didn't give a breath sample on the 'proper' breathalyser at the station, which would be standard practice.

but what difference does it make?

if you fail breathalzyzer or don't blow

you get brought to station for doctor

This is the second time you have missed a line when reading text online, which is a bit disappointing. I suggest you take another look at my original post as I clearly stated that it was only recently I was referring to and not in general. I think we can all point to examples of other TDs stepping into hot water with the Gardai.

Well thats convenient then, let's see if we've got this straight; we can talk about politicians from other parties and their scrapes with the law because they happened recently, but we can't talk about politicians from your party and their scrapes because they happened not as recently? Even though the first post I linked to was dated March 15th 2013?
    Can't say I can recall any string of right wing TDs being in the spotlight due to a Garda investigation in the space of a few months since I took active interest in politics. So no, its likely you wont find such posts. As for them being my 'political rivals' - I don't see any of the named TDs as a threat. There effectively Independents that are pretty much guaranteed a seat in the Dail regardless.

I like how you're drawing a veil over your parties numerous scandals involving its elected members - both recent and not so recent - by mentioning you're only politicall active for a few months.

That must make it ok so for you to draw attention to other parties politicians scrape's with the law whilst ignoring your parties own bad eggs as it suits.
    My my, you probably need to head over to Specsavers because your after missing out on another part of my post. Selective eyesight or should we be genuinely concerned for your sight? Because, if you read my post, you will see that I said their behaviour was something I couldn't condone.

Though, it does smack of her being completely hypocritical considering she wanted to release the name of people who had penalty points 'wiped' on appeal to their local Super. Its okay she releases their names, but not when it comes to her breaking the law and being at 45 milligrammes of a legal limit of 67 milligrammes plus the U-Turn.

So just to clarify then, you think its acceptable and condone the Gardai Siochana for selectively leaking information, in the hope of discrediting an "enemy" as you put it? By the way you're making it out in the quote, you're implying that she got whats coming to her?

Well thats convenient then, let's see if we've got this straight; we can talk about politicians from other parties and their scrapes with the law because they happened recently, but we can't talk about politicians from your party and their scrapes because they happened not as recently? Even though the first post I linked to was dated March 15th 2013?

This smacks awfully like you trying to deflect attention away from Richie and stand behind him like he did nothing wrong. This topic is about Richie managing to ensure he got away without another conviction and not any other TD. That's why I created it as it was 'in the news' and a worthy political discussion at this time. The other links have TDs who didn't use a 'get out of jail free' card and were 'in the line of fire' and is older news.
    I like how you're drawing a veil over your parties numerous scandals involving its elected members - both recent and not so recent - by mentioning you're only politicall active for a few months.

Seriously time you went to specsavers, I never gave a timeframe.
    That must make it ok so for you to draw attention to other parties politicians scrape's with the law whilst ignoring your parties own bad eggs as it suits.

I'm not ignoring my own parties 'bad eggs' and I have in the past (and as recent as a few hours ago) discussed such both on a local scale (Waterford has its bad eggs to) and on forums such as Boards. This isn't about them though, because they weren't in the media yesterday for wriggling their way out of a conviction. This topic is about Richie doing so.

Your trying to deflect attention from Barret by accusing me of such and linking articles of other TDs from other parties who actually got their knuckles wrapped. Your accusations are without foundation, but you must do something to deflect and I understand that.
    So just to clarify then, you think its acceptable and condone the Gardai Siochana for selectively leaking information, in the hope of discrediting an "enemy" as you put it? By the way you're making it out in the quote, you're implying that she got whats coming to her?

Again, I suggest you reread my posts.

This smacks awfully like you trying to deflect attention away from Richie and stand behind him like he did nothing wrong. This topic is about Richie managing to ensure he got away without another conviction and not any other TD. That's why I created it as it was 'in the news' and a worthy political discussion at this time. The other links have TDs who didn't use a 'get out of jail free' card and were 'in the line of fire' and is older news.

But how did RBB "get away with it" exactly? What exactly was his "get out of jail free card"? It seems to me from reading the article he went to court and I'm sure would have been more then willing to pay any fine he received?

It was the judge who decided not to impose any kind of conviction, is it your contention that RBB has some kind of sway over this judge?
    Seriously time you went to specsavers, I never gave a timeframe.
    Can't say I can recall any string of right wing TDs being in the spotlight due to a Garda investigation in the space of a few months since I took active interest in politics.

How long exactly have you had an active interest in politics? Must be extremely recent, as in like the past few weeks if you haven't noted elected members fromyour own party and sister parties being investigated by the GS by the courts.
    I'm not ignoring my own parties 'bad eggs' and I have in the past (and as recent as a few hours ago) discussed such both on a local scale (Waterford has its bad eggs to) and on forums such as Boards. This isn't about them though, because they weren't in the media yesterday for wriggling their way out of a conviction. This topic is about Richie doing so.

So tell me then which is worse? A Politician from your party driving away from a Garda Checkpoint under the influence and eventually been caught, or RBB getting to court and facing justice after a clerical error?

Your trying to deflect attention from Barret by accusing me of such and linking articles of other TDs from other parties who actually got their knuckles wrapped. Your accusations are without foundation, but you must do something to deflect and I understand that.

Care to provide links to threads you've started about members of your own party being in trouble with the Garda Siochana?

Again, I suggest you reread my posts.

Yes I've read your posts and they basically go like this....

Yes the Garda Siochana were wrong to leak info but Clare Daly had it coming to her, that'll show her for daring to highlight an issue of national importance. She deserved it.

Yes the Garda Siochana were wrong to leak info but Clare Daly committed the heinous crime of making an illegal U-turn. She had it coming to her.

Yes the Garda Siochana were wrong to leak info but Clare Daly had drink taken and contrived to delay proceedings. She deserved it.

So forgive me if I take your hollow sounding condemnations of the GS with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Sully and TINA1984, there's no point in reporting each other simply because you disagree. Both of you are currently just within the borders of toleration in terms of incivility, so I would suggest taking it down a notch rather than up. Otherwise, please carry on and thrash out your political differences by discussion. It's what the forum's for.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement