Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JobBridge Scheme being abused.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Threads like that are being posted daily on here. Its a sad but true fact. I doubt a company will be impressed by your fruit and veg experience. The government is literally driving young people to the airports with these schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

You should post it on here - http://jobbridgetonowhere.tumblr.com/

Lots of companies trying to take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I emailed them and got this

Dear Madam,

Thank for your email. We will review and investigate the issues that you have raised.

Kind regards,

JobBridge team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Good luck with that- I alerted them about a big company who advertised a job with real pay one week and the next it was a dole + 50 quid 'opportunity of a lifetime'.
    Got the same rubbish back as above and then a follow up saying they had talked to the company and it was all above board.
    Eh, no it wasn't - I had applied for the job and was more than qualified and prepared to take the huge hit in pay as well as having close friends/ex-colleagues there who could tell me that the job was the exact same and some gimp had waddled in and took it at dole + 50 subsidy.
    I sent Jobbridge this info and they bluffed it off.

To top it off, I'm one of the '000's of people funding this outrageous joke of a scheme with part of my private pension.

There's a huge thread elsewhere on here about this insult to Irish workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

gambiaman wrote: »
    Good luck with that- I alerted them about a big company who advertised a job with real pay one week and the next it was a dole + 50 quid 'opportunity of a lifetime'.
    Got the same rubbish back as above and then a follow up saying they had talked to the company and it was all above board.
    Eh, no it wasn't - I had applied for the job and was more than qualified and prepared to take the huge hit in pay as well as having close friends/ex-colleagues there who could tell me that the job was the exact same and some gimp had waddled in and took it at dole + 50 subsidy.
    I sent Jobbridge this info and they bluffed it off.

To top it off, I'm one of the '000's of people funding this outrageous joke of a scheme with part of my private pension.

There's a huge thread elsewhere on here about this insult to Irish workers.

That's shocking. This country has no chance of getting on it feet as long as the employment market is being diluted by this scheme. And all of us looking for careers are in the sh!t til its ended.

Your example above would be much better forwarded to a media organisation rather than job bridge themselves. Its obvious they are an incompetent bunch.

• Advertisement

Aye, a real kick in the balls and a wake-up call about what's going on in this kip.
    This 'scheme' is the Jobs Budget these clowns mouthed about for so long.
    I mean, if you tried really hard you couldn't make it up.

The scheme is meant to create 5000 positions. Anyone know how many have been advertised so far and filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

A friend was sent out on three of these jobbridge schemes all to supermarket stores to do packing of shelves etc.. Each time he lasted about an hour before he "hurt his back" and could'nt finish the day. Social welfare can't do sh1t about it if it's a medical condition that prevents you from working. He's 100% right imo it's nothing but a slave scheme as far as i'm concerned.

So anyone who gets on a jobbridge scheme job will just have to go back on social welfare after it finishes and then look for another job on the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Well of course that is going to happen. Whay pay a worker yourself when you can just get one for free and they get the dole.
    Sure my brother in law has a haulage business, and he decided to let go some of his garage and depot staff and then hire some Jobbridge lads for free. He just has them washing trucks and trailers and looking after the warehouses.
    Immoral, yes. But it makes perfect finacial sense for the company. Fact is, if you want to stay in business and make profit you have to be ruthless because. If you do not cut costs like this, you can be sure your competitors are doing it. Then you are finished. Greed is good my friend, greed is good.

Your brother is exploiting people that are living and getting by on the bare minimum. Regardless of them getting their dole money, he's basically paying them €50 a week for meaningless and ****ty work.

I can understand that it makes financial sense for his company. But staff are one of the most important parts of a business, they keep it ticking over. If his drivers didn't turn up for work someday he would be fcuked. But yet he feels he should take advantage of the system. Even if he paid minimum wage it would be acceptable.

To be honest I'd feel sick to the stomach if I was paying someone €50 for a weeks work, and pretty embarrassed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Well of course that is going to happen. Whay pay a worker yourself when you can just get one for free and they get the dole.
    Sure my brother in law has a haulage business, and he decided to let go some of his garage and depot staff and then hire some Jobbridge lads for free. He just has them washing trucks and trailers and looking after the warehouses.
    Immoral, yes. But it makes perfect finacial sense for the company. Fact is, if you want to stay in business and make profit you have to be ruthless because. If you do not cut costs like this, you can be sure your competitors are doing it. Then you are finished. Greed is good my friend, greed is good.

If anyone figures out who this haulage business owner is they should report him for abusing the system, or tell me and I will.

The government should not be subsidising the profits of the unscrupulous through the provision of tax-funded slaves, as you have so helpfully pointed out here - costing, not creating, jobs.

manlad wrote: »
    Your brother is exploiting people that are living and getting by on the bare minimum. Regardless of them getting their dole money, he's basically paying them €50 a week for meaningless and ****ty work.

I can understand that it makes financial sense for his company. But staff are one of the most important parts of a business, they keep it ticking over. If his drivers didn't turn up for work someday he would be fcuked. But yet he feels he should take advantage of the system. Even if he paid minimum wage it would be acceptable.

To be honest I'd feel sick to the stomach if I was paying someone €50 for a weeks work, and pretty embarrassed.

He's not paying the fifty euro, the government is. Even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

You brother-in-law doesn't have a viable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

The taxpayer is, even worse worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

A friend was sent out on three of these jobbridge schemes all to supermarket stores to do packing of shelves etc.. Each time he lasted about an hour before he "hurt his back" and could'nt finish the day. Social welfare can't do sh1t about it if it's a medical condition that prevents you from working. He's 100% right imo it's nothing but a slave scheme as far as i'm concerned.

Jobbridge is voluntary there is no way that your friend was sent to work in 3 supermarkets under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

yes, think you're mixing up your schemes there.

there is enough that is vile and wrong with jobsbridge without added fiction.

shocking it is still in place. it really is.

i would accept it if the companies were asked to make up wages themselves, to a full wage - for one year or two max. *

but this? this is outrageous.

* a sort of dole subsidy, with conditions, restrictions - similar to the back to work scheme. FFS if they're gonna pay dole, let the fooking employers do their part also.

i also think the dole should cop itself on and allow people to work part time without the fooking head wreck of different punishments in place at the mo. what's better, black market work, no work? nonsense policy

5249 positions

2755 = interships/ wpps

2485 = actual jobs of those 1783 = full time and 702 = part time

so full time internships = 2755, full time jobs = 1783.

Almost 2:1 of all jobs advertised are internships to jobs.

take a look folks. the internships are for roles which used to be called jobs.

http://kiosk.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=AW4hyLbgiuZfguLw8ahqudsaYmYVfCLeUX6kvoNNegKDyytpUFfGdc1FOqe6pmctbhEDL3JVeX/xXEExVLpFUZjDWn9lC8dZFZDxdZ/Mn4d6KG+0WqGUF/m8Kj6k0um7uVR1R3mxAufEnc5hAHgum4h0ztQuv+o2tsaliSHS6xj7A+8nHFSOPAdjtAkjYidQw2Ruu7h7kVfsDlf/0ziwfxLAHcLpGeNj7h1tg9ZLMNrMI6zjWtyVSfh1PZV0Y4cqeHOM+FXTypb9o9jR/hRv8krfOgrg8rRG2c8CdZnkYedQPhZybb8afIaVeYTHlINVL0cZCsnp6kANKo1N3l1oZw==

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think he is paying the 50 euro. The government/taxpayer pays the 188

According to the FAS press release: "the Department of Social Protection is paying the weekly €50 allowance."

http://www.fas.ie/en/About+Us/News/29062011.htm

No, Anny is correct.
    This is funded from the 2.4% private workers pension snatch earlier this year.
    This is the govt's 'Jobs Initiaitive'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Apologies.

That's unbelievable.

A total disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i start an IT internship on monday.

as i was only getting €185 a week from the dole office and paying €110 a week rent for the flat (no rent allowance payments as of yet) having only €75 a week to live on sucked badly... now i'll be getting €125 a week... i know it is still a pittance but it will be better than the measily €75 a week i had to live on.

but in all honesty the scheme is preventing alot of new paid jobs from being created

i start an IT internship on monday.

as i was only getting €185 a week from the dole office and paying €110 a week rent for the flat (no rent allowance payments as of yet) having only €75 a week to live on sucked badly... now i'll be getting €125 a week... i know it is still a pittance but it will be better than the measily €75 a week i had to live on.

but in all honesty the scheme is preventing alot of new paid jobs from being created
    or rather instead of advertising jobs they normally would, employers are opting for the internship route.

That is bad on all levels. income tax wise, good business practice wise, job figures wise, the effect on 'normal' jobs, the cost of dole + 50, the phrase 'yellow pack' worker.(esp in the professions like teaching) etc, etc.

It's just outrageous. I voted for this crowd. This is not what I had hoped from them. This is doing the country damage.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    It's just outrageous. I voted for this crowd. This is not what I had hoped from them. This is doing the country damage.

I'm not preaching at you but have you emailed, or written to them (your local government tds) ?

I got the email addresses of the two government tds that I voted for in the GE and am asking them to justify this scheme. I'm sure i'll get a lot a crap back from them but if enough people do it they might get the message. Ministers don't give a sh!t, are too busy, yadda yadda... The backbenchers are the achilles heal of most governments.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'm not preaching at you but have you emailed, or written to them (your local government tds) ?

I got the email addresses of the two government tds that I voted for in the GE and am asking them to justify this scheme. I'm sure i'll get a lot a crap back from them but if enough people do it they might get the message. Ministers don't give a sh!t, are too busy, yadda yadda... The backbenchers are the achilles heal of most governments.

Where will that get us. If we all email our TDs will it get Enda to wake and realise the initative is not working.

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    Where will that get us. If we all email our TDs will it get Enda to wake and realise the initative is not working.

Well I'll put it this way, staying silent or confining your grievances to an internet discussion board will get you no where.

It Joan Burton that needs to get the message.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Well I'll put it this way, staying silent or confining your grievances to an internet discussion board will get you no where.

It Joan Burton that needs to get the message.

I have no problem writing to Joan or any other politican. I think I might just do that. I would encourage others to do the same aswell. We can dream but it might just wake them up and realise they made a big mistake with the initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

We have a dedicated opposition for a reason. If the proper authorities are not giving you satisfactory response then contact the opposition spokespersons, TDs and senators to get it raised in the form of Dáil questions or at Seanad inquiries/committees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭uli84

it's beyond a joke, today on Fas.ie - number of jobs - 95, internship - 99
    :(

• Advertisement

How long is it running for. What will happen once it finishes?

Advertisement