Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what happened at this years Eng Soc Mystery tour?

Options
  • 15-11-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm interested as the Engineering Society has been disbanded as a result!

Also, here is what went on last year - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68621912. Was it worse?

E-mail from Eng Soc:
    Hi All,

It is with deep regret that we inform you of the UCC Guild's decision to
    formally disband the Eng Soc.
    In making this decision the have Guild considered the recent behaviour
    during the Mystery Tour, along with the tainted history of previous
    Engineering societies.

The Guild were particulary disgusted by the behaviour of a minority at the
    Mystery Tour. A report from the safety officers is available from society
    members to any interested party, and we encourage you all to read it. The
    ramifications from the mystery tour are ongoing, and a report is being
    prepared by the Guild for the VP for the student experience.
    The small minority have succeeded in ruining what promised to be a fun year
    filled with Social, Sporting, Academic and Educational activities.

However; after hearing the concerns voiced by many students-some members of
    the current committee have decided to collaborate with the various Class
    Reps from *ALL* faculties to organise a ball (completely independent of
    UCC) for all Engineers. Essentially it would be an Engineering Ball but NOT
    a "UCC Engineering Society Ball".
    It is proposed to host this ball in the Second Semester. I stress again
    that this will *NOT* be a Societies nor a UCC event but a ball organised
    outside UCC directed towards Engineers and welcoming to all other people
    regardless of college/state of employment.

We propose using proceeds from the ball to fund private Safe Pass Courses,
    AutoCAD Courses and various Industry Speakers to help all those involved in
    Engineering to be fully ready for the working world.

As this account will be shut down on Fri 18th Nov, you can contact us
    through the "UCC Eng Soc" Facebook (see link below) which will be
    accordingly renamed to "Student Engineers of Cork". Please keep an eye on
    this page, as all news regarding the ball, courses and guest speakers will
    be advertised through this page.

To the class reps of all faculties-we have obtained your contact details
    and will be unofficially contacting you for your help within the next few
    weeks. Your input on what a "Student Engineers of Cork" group can offer
    will be warmly welcomed.

And finally, to you, the student; The King is dead..long live the King!
    Drive safe, and keep her between the ditches,

Many thanks for your continued support throughout the years.

Regards,
    UCC Engineering Society

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

surely they realise that by holding a ball independently they are completely liable for anything that happens??!!

I was on the society last year, and we put in a lot of work to reconcile with the guild and how could have been disbanded 6 months after we handed it over!!

Very sad that one of the oldest societies has to be disbanded...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Really mad about this. I was really looking forward to the ball next week. I was on the mystery tour and didn't see anything too bad going on. I know that one of the buses on the way there was stopped by the guards because some people won't sit down and stop smoking. I believe it was actually one of the tour supervisors that called the gaurds. Other than that, I'm not sure what could have really pushed the guild so far as to disband the eng soc. I really want to see the incident report now.

Kinda glad though that we do get some kind of ball now, it was looking like there might not be one for us at all for the past week, which would be terrible not having a ball in my final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hopefully they should be able to sort something out insurance-wise. Think it'll get a poor attendance in the second term? Could inviting programmes that don't have their own ball bring up numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

TheChizler wrote: »
    Hopefully they should be able to sort something out insurance-wise. Think it'll get a poor attendance in the second term? Could inviting programmes that don't have their own ball bring up numbers?

Numbers generally aren't a problem at the Eng Ball I don't think, I'd say more people might go than usual actually over all this. Such a pity that it's shut down though, was really looking forward to the ball and I'd've thought we'd've heard of it if something really serious had happened on the mystery tour...they were on shaky ground from the start this year after the last few years though.

Right, I just read the report and all I can say is that some of the people on that tour were animals. There is no excuse for any of what went on and I can see now why the ball was cancled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Right, I just read the report and all I can say is that some of the people on that tour were animals. There is no excuse for any of what went on and I can see now why the ball was cancled.
    any link to the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

whatislife wrote: »
    any link to the report?

I would like to see it too.

Looks like it has been escalating for the last few years. When I went 3 years ago the bars storeroom was broken into.

Not sure if it would be cool to post it up here. Anyway it is pretty long. If anyone wants really wants to see it PM me your email and i'll send it unto you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Just read the report. Wow. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Not sure if it would be cool to post it up here. Anyway it is pretty long. If anyone wants really wants to see it PM me your email and i'll send it unto you.

There's nothing in the forum rules against posting it especially as its been mentioned in the opening post and is freely available to those who are looking for it.

Actually for the sake of clarity I think you should post it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

I actually felt angry reading that. Are those individual assholes being punished at all for their involvement or is it just the society in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HairyMcBoon

This is the text of the report being circulated:

The mystery tour ran from Cork to Mallow. On departure I was on a bus with ****
    ****. There was no trouble and we were the first bus to arrive in Mallow. The other
    buses were staggered in their arrival but all 6 had arrived by about 10.15. I was walking
    through the pub with **** ****.
    At one point, possibly close to 12am, I was walking across the bar to ****, having
    answered a question from a local, and I was stopped by three UCC students, none of
    whom I knew. After a few words I turned to leave but they pulled me back and asked if I
    was wearing underwear. One of them tugged at a sleeve of my shirt, pulling it down 'to
    check'. I pushed them out of my way and rejoined with ****. Later on we came across a
    student exposing himself in the bar, which he was told was illegal and that he'd have to
    put it away. He was unhappy with that and argued about it.
    When the time came for us to clear out of the bar, I helped remove students who were
    bleeding and made a final sweep of the ladies toilets. A lot of the injured students had
    been pulled down on glass and several had cuts on arms, heads and in one case, a student
    had gravel stuck in his face where he had been pulled down onto the ground.
    I left the bar and got on the first bus headed back to cork with **** ****. As we pulled
    out of the parking lot, I was near the driver (**** ****, the owner of ****) and the
    emergency alarm went off. This happens on the bus when the emergency door at the rear
    of the bus is opened. **** went to make sure it was closed. **** said at the time that
    extra people had jumped on the bus through that emergency exit. When **** came back
    he said that we were about four people over capacity, but **** agreed to drive on
    because the seats were wide and could fit extras.
    We were less than ten minutes from Mallow when a student at the front said someone at
    the back was smoking. It wasn't the first time someone had smoked on the buses, so I
    went to check the back of the bus, which was where the noisier students were. When I got
    there, a student was openly smoking a cigarette. I asked him to put it out and he took a
    drag while I watched him. I took it from his hand, put it out and told him not to do it
    again because it was illegal and he could get into trouble.
    I walked back down to the front of the bus with the group at the back shouting "safety
    ****" at me. I had barely reached the front when **** told me that he could see smoke in
    his rear view mirror again. I turned around and walked back down. The group had
    become considerably noisier in those few seconds, and they were jumping up and down
    and singing. I could see through a gap that the same student was smoking again, as well
    as one other student, but I had no way to reach them without potentially getting hurt. I
    went back to **** and **** and told them this. **** left it go for a few minutes.
    Myself and **** stayed standing on the bus and made sure the quiet students were okay.**** stopped the bus and said he would go back there himself. He took a torch with him
    and walked up the bus. We didn't follow him, but he checked the floor for cigarettes and
    tried to calm the party at the back down. When he returned to the front, he drove on. The
    group were no calmer.
    I walked down the bus again with ****. I was closer to the back than him when the bus
    suddenly braked hard. **** fell over in the bus and I barely stayed upright because I had
    a chair to hang onto. I went back to the front of the bus with ****. It was at that time
    that **** told me he was unwilling to drive the bus on and that he had to stop because
    he felt it was unsafe to keep going. He told us that he owned the bus company and that in
    all of his experience, this was too much pressure to drive on with; the bus was shaking
    with the noise and banging from the back.
    I asked **** to call **** **** and tell him that **** had stopped the bus and would
    not drive on. **** asked where we were (Rathduff) and told us to wait there and he
    would pull his bus in behind us once he reached us. He told us that he still had not left
    Mallow, so was fifteen minutes behind us, effectively.
    We proceeded to wait that length of time, but after about seven or eight minutes, a fight
    broke out at the back of the bus between two of the guys in the group there. On safety
    team we don't get involved; the response is to call the Gardai. I had never had to do that
    on a bus before but the fight didn't stop after a few seconds like scuffles usually do. I was
    also concerned for the uninvolved students sitting on either side of the fight.
    I told **** to call **** again and tell him that I was calling the Gardai. **** did that
    while I dialed 999 and asked for a patrol car.
    After about two minutes of the fighting, it stopped but the party at the back got louder
    and more raucous. I went down the bus at this stage to make sure students were okay and
    to answer some questions about why we were basically parked at the side of a country
    road. When I was nearly two thirds down the bus, a student climbed out of his seat and
    squared up to me asking why we were stopped. I told him that we were waiting for the
    Gardai. He reached out and put his hands on my shoulders and shoved me, then did it
    again; I stumbled backwards a few steps. He screamed at me to know why the bus was
    stopped. He was clearly very angry and spat a number of times in my direction. I put my
    hands up to show him that I was nowhere near him, and turned to find****right behind
    me. **** asked me if he had spat at me and I said yes. **** headed back down to the
    front of the bus.
    I moved in to a side seat and the bus went very quiet suddenly because the Gardai came
    on the bus and walked down to meet me. They told me that the bus was overfull and I
    explained what **** had said about the emergency exit. They also asked me to point out
    the student who was smoking and I did. They told me that they would wait until ****'s
    bus arrived and they told me that the best thing to do wold be to relocate the noisy students to the front of he bus and move some quieter ones back. That was done pretty
    quickly.
    I explained to the Gardai that safety team don't demand identification from a student but
    that the college would want the details from the students who had made it difficult and
    they agreed to get the details. They took the student cards from those students and took
    me outside the bus to ask about the student who had spat at me and the smoking. They
    also talked to **** about the capacity, the smoking and the jumping. They told me that
    when the patrol car pulled in behind the bus, they said themselves that it looked like the
    bus wold almost tip over.
    It was at roughly that time that ****'s bus arrived. He came to check if I was okay and to
    get the details from me. The Gardai told me that the student who shoved me and spat at
    me would be arrested for assault if I wanted to press charges. I didn't want to do that; I
    told them that I was tired and didn't want to prolong the situation- I genuinely just wanted
    to go home. **** indicated that he would not have that particular student on the bus for
    the remainder of the journey, so he was removed to ****'s bus.
    While we waited on the road for the Gardai to record the details of the students involved,
    a third bus pulled up and ****climbed off and approached us. He said that he would
    need assistance on his bus also.
    The Gardai took the students from my bus who had caused trouble off the bus and talked
    to them outside for a few minutes. Once they were back on board and sitting down ,
    **** drove the remainder of the journey to Cork.
    I can honestly say that I would never again work an event for the Engineering society. I
    felt that being spat on, called a 'safety ****' and being shoved by a male student who was
    bigger and heavier than me, was a bit too much. I felt, when the bus stopped, that I was
    stranded at the side of a road with nowhere to go and no way to get there, and with at
    least eight students who were, as **** told the Gardai, too dangerous to drive with.
    The entire mystery tour ran from 9pm when we departed, to about 2.10am when my bus
    pulled back into Cork.

On the bus on the way down people at the back of the bus were abusive to my colleague
    when he asked them to sit down, after that I took over responsibility for asking people to
    sit down for a while.
    On arrival at the venue the owner and a Security Gaurd approach the bus and searched
    students getting off the bus for alcohol, which they took off them, not allowing them to
    place it back on the bus.
    Outside before entering the venue we were chanted at with the words “Safety you’re a
    ****”I was placed inside the venue with other Safety team members.
    Glasses began to be smashed off the floor with intent.
    I ended up having to sweep the floor with my colleagues as the 2 venue security stopped
    dealing with the glass after a while. They just told me there was a brush on the stage
    when I approached them about sweeping some glass off the dance floor.
    A guy then began to slap my ass while I was dealing with a girl who had lost her glasses
    and was in a state, after doing it a number of times and even after being asked to stop he
    did it again I told him I would be calling the Gaurds and accusing him of sexual
    harassment he did
    it once more and then stop when I indicated I would be taking action.
    I then had a glass smashed on the back of my legs.
    While standing on the stage to stay out of the way and stop the wave of people jumping
    all over the place and falling on to the stage hurting themselves and pushing the DJ’s
    backwards, there was a glass deliberately thrown at me which smashed off the stage and
    splintered one guy in the eye and another guys forehead.
    I then witnessed a guy coming out of the mens bathroom with a swollen, cut and black
    eye (not the way he was when he entered)
    The venue closed at 12:30am
    I got on the first bus home. While travelling a guy got sick on the seat after being handed
    a sick bag
    Guys kept persistently standing up, even after being told numerous times to sit down.
    After all the other buses arrived home, with some very annoyed members of Safety Team
    and we were informed of what had happened on other buses.
    Some members of Safety Team said they would never do anything again for that society
    in
    particular after the level of abuse that was taken, others were seriously considering
    leaving
    the team as it was just not worth it. Some members of the team were even close to tears
    after the events that unfolded on their buses.
    What happened on the Engineering Society Mystery tour was a disgrace, there was zero
    respect shown to anyone.

Upon leaving the bar in Mallow the students at the back of the bus attempted
    to open the emergency exit. It later transpired that they did this to sneak extra
    students onto the bus unknown to either my self or ****. Shortly after leaving
    a Student was caught smoking at the back of the bus, we removed the cigarette
    from the student and they were warned not to do it again. At this stage the
    students at the back of the bus had become extremely rowdy. They wouldn’t
    sit down and were repeatedly banging the roof of the bus and the roof window.
    **** and I made several attempts to get them to sit down. They then started
    to smoke again, at which point the bus driver stopped the bus and spoke with
    the students at the back. I made contact with **** and informed him of the
    situation. After setting off, we again tried to get them to sit down at which pointI was surrounded by several students and had to be pulled out. The bus driver
    then braked at high speed several times in an attempt to get the students to sit
    down which resulted in me being thrown down the aisle of the bus. They refused
    to sit down and continued attempting to smoke and were aggressive while also
    repeatedly banging the roof of the bus. At this point the bus driver refused to go
    any further and stopped the bus at Rathduff. **** was contacted and informed
    of the situation and it was agreed we would wait until he arrived. While waiting
    for **** several of the students at the back of a bus became involved in a fight,
    so the Gardaí were called. After the Gardaí were called **** went down to
    the back of the bus to get them to calm down. They once again refused and she
    was spat at and touched inappropriately. When the Gardaí arrived the were
    informed of the situation and removed the offensive students and placed them
    on a different bus. They also informed us that when they arrived the first thing
    they saw was the back of the bus swaying from side to side as a result of the
    student’s behavior. It was also noted by the bus driver that they had damaged
    the lighting at the back of the bus and had nearly broke the roof window. After
    removing the offensive students the bus proceeded without incident back to
    cork.

In terms of incidences that happened with me on the really crazy bus with all the lads
    acting like animals there were two lads who while I was asking them to sit down were
    groping my ass ad grinding into me. **** talked to them afterwards about it.
    On our bus I got a good amount of verbal abuse from the guy who was cursing you (small
    guy who was in trouble with the gards). He was screaming tell me to **** off and ****
    you and called me a **** etc. Then one of the committee members who was on our bus
    (blonde/brown hair, white t-shirt and kinda beige pants) was giving out to me because we
    had to wait while you were talking to the gards and how we're being paid far too much
    and just really confrontational. The guy sitting across from me in the blue t-shirt was
    extremely confrontational and aggressive after I asked him to stop taking pictures of the
    driver and like staring me down. I know none of these are *huge* deals but it just all
    came together to a rough night as I'm sure you're well aware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Serious amount of pure scumbaggery evident in that report. Smashing glasses off people.....seriously what's fúcking wrong with people these days? I'd have no problem with these folks being thrown out of UCC to be honest.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Serious amount of pure scumbaggery evident in that report. Smashing glasses off people.....seriously what's fúcking wrong with people these days? I'd have no problem with these folks being thrown out of UCC to be honest.

Neither would I - disgraceful behaviour, and a pity that people didn't press charges, might get others to think twice before they did things like that again, and show that there are consequences to their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Disbanding the society is one thing, but surely some kind of sanction targeted at individuals mentioned in the report would be appropriate?

I think, at the very least, something should be entered onto their student transcript.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Shower of bastards really.

I'm embarrassed to have those in UCC when there's thousands of better students around and even more who would kill to attend. It's not something the colllege needs with the recent promotion to five-star rating and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that's horrendous reading - I assumed it would be something way more innocuous.
    a pity that people didn't press charges

absolutely, it makes all the warnings and threats of arrest pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Hasn't been a student expelled from UCC since the 70's unfortunately but there's surely a case for it here.

Good luck getting a venue for the 'Engineers of Cork' ball with that report freely circulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

This report makes me glad that I've finished UCC and don't have to mix with such scumbags.

Maybe fees aren't such a bad idea if they prevent scum like this going to college, those who were smashing glasses off people and groping team members deserve to have charges pressed or failing that be expelled from the college.

I remember we went on a comm mystery tour to Mallow in first/second year and it was shut down after 2/3 hours people smashing the place, doing coke in the bathroom and fighting.

Luckily my friend lives locally so 4 of us ended up going back there and staying the night not a hope were we going to get a bus back in with animals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Not defending the mystery tour, and I wasn't there, but I know some (non-scumbag!) people who were there and from what I've heard there's a fair bit of exaggeration, especially in the first part of the report. Particularily in relation to the guards comments. I also think it's unfair to disband the society based on one event which was open to anyone in the entire college to attend.

And I'm surprised that the poster who claims to have been on last year's Eng Soc is shocked. It was becasue of the disasterous mystery tour last year that the guild "safety team" insisted on going on the mystery tour this year!

Also, it's no secret that the guild has been looking for a reason to disband Eng Soc for a few years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

It's all well and good disbanding the society but I think sanctions need to be placed on the individuals involved. Nothing is stopping them turning up to another mystery tour and causing havoc. I think an example needs to be made of them, especially to discourage future behavior from other students. I think the only way to go is expulsion really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Schorpio wrote: »
    I also think it's unfair to disband the society based on one event which was open to anyone in the entire college to attend.

When a society takes responsibility for running an event they take the liability that comes with it. If this was a one time thing then they most likely wouldn't have been deleted - probably just suspended for the remainder of the year

Also, it's no secret that the guild has been looking for a reason to disband Eng Soc for a few years now.

That's complete tinfoil-hat stuff. The guild have been more than patient with the kind of ****e Eng Soc have caused over the past few years. If anything, it's a surprise it took this long

I also think it's unfair to disband the society based on one event which was open to anyone in the entire college to attend.

It is true that the guild has been looking to get rid of the Eng Soc for a while but it is also true that the Soc was rotten to it's core. The vast majority of the commit members are from Civil Eng with the only non-Civil member being from Energy. So, the Soc was always baised towards one department and neglected the others. And I'm not making this up, the Soc sent out an email this morning saying all the above.

So, the Soc was due an overhaul, just a shame that the majority engineering students miss out the ball just because fo the stupid actions of a small few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Silly Old Wasp

The UCC guild, come a Wednesday night nothing better to do. So they decide to act the maggot trying to police students on a mystery tour. Like if they want to charge the Eng Soc €1,600 to baby sit for a night you should expect a little work to be done. If ye didn't immerse yourselves in that cocoon of self praise and false notions all harbored in the HUB. Ye would know that over policing will only result in a strike back of the victims of this "Gestapo" like treatment.

A serious question which must be asked is have any of these self coined members of the "safety team" training or completed courses in private security, aka a PSA licence obtained via completing a Fetac level 4 course. As the "Safety team" may not be Night club or door men but they still act in the area and manner of policing students the same way a bouncer in night club does. This unregulated and unsafe practice of unqualified, part time ''safety officers'' is a miss use of the power the students union has been entrusted with by students who had the misguided idea that only people who have not only the ability to carry out their functions but also the training would be placed in positions of power. The practice of placing inadequate, untrained people in an environment that security officers, such as those working in night clubs, require hours of training in must be discontinued until proper accountability and training is put in place.

A series lack of accountability has occurred with regards to the "safety teams" ill-informed and unqualified actions taking on the night in question. Just like the tear away English Army personnel who initiated the concentration camps in the Boer war, the guild have followed in their menial and brutish ways resulting in organised chaos.

Just one other point further illustrating the lack of training and correct decision making being made, Twice in the report the "safety team" and bus drivers continued with over crowded and unsafe conditions on the bus.

"When **** came back
    he said that we were about four people over capacity, but **** agreed to drive on"

Just one example of the lack of negligence displayed by the "safety team"

To the Eng Soc fight the good fight,

Member of the Pharmacy soc

^^^ I really hope that you are not trying to shift the blame for all the crap that went on from the scumbags on the tour to members of the safety team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Whatever credibility your post lost through the clear troll tones and utter distilled ****e, the fresh account obliterates any that was remaining. I will humour you none the less.
    The UCC guild, come a Wednesday night nothing better to do. So they decide to act the maggot trying to police students on a mystery tour.

The safety team was a measure put in place at the request of the University. The Guild don't do this for kicks.

Also I don't know how much regard you have for student's safety but any measures put in place to help that should be encouraged.
    Like if they want to charge the Eng Soc €1,600 to baby sit for a night you should expect a little work to be done. If ye didn't immerse yourselves in that cocoon of self praise and false notions all harbored in the HUB. Ye would know that over policing will only result in a strike back of the victims of this "Gestapo" like treatment.

Complete dribble....
    A serious question which must be asked is have any of these self coined members of the "safety team" training or completed courses in private security, aka a PSA licence obtained via completing a Fetac level 4 course. As the "Safety team" may not be Night club or door men but they still act in the area and manner of policing students the same way a bouncer in night club does. This unregulated and unsafe practice of unqualified, part time ''safety officers'' is a miss use of the power the students union has been entrusted with by students who had the misguided idea that only people who have not only the ability to carry out their functions but also the training would be placed in positions of power. The practice of placing inadequate, untrained people in an environment that security officers, such as those working in night clubs, require hours of training in must be discontinued until proper accountability and training is put in place.

All members of the safety team are required to undergo full training by the Gardai
    A series lack of accountability has occurred with regards to the "safety teams" ill-informed and unqualified actions taking on the night in question. Just like the tear away English Army personnel who initiated the concentration camps in the Boer war, the guild have followed in their menial and brutish ways resulting in organised chaos.

More dribble........ would you like a bib?
    Just one other point further illustrating the lack of training and correct decision making being made, Twice in the report the "safety team" and bus drivers continued with over crowded and unsafe conditions on the bus.

"When **** came back
    he said that we were about four people over capacity, but **** agreed to drive on"

Just one example of the lack of negligence displayed by the "safety team"

You try telling a group of drunken, abusive, violent engineers that the bus isn't going. Good luck with that
    To the Eng Soc fight the good fight,

Fights over buddy. They lost
    Member of the Pharmacy soc

I sincerely hope you are not a committee member for their sake

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

This will come out in the wash at the UCC Governing Body and in the District Court, I reckon. We'll see if that soften's Silly Old Wasp's cough.

Hah, invoking the Boer war and concentration camps. Stick to the Pharmacy degree and well out of Perrott Avenue son, or we'll be having strong words!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The vast majority of the commit members are from Civil Eng with the only non-Civil member being from Energy. So, the Soc was always baised towards one department and neglected the others. And I'm not making this up, the Soc sent out an email this morning saying all the above.

Yeah, it's true about the society being made up of mostly Civils - but they are all elected. I was at the Eng Soc elections last year and there was a dismal turnout. All engineering departements are informed about the election night, any engineering student is free to put themselves forwards and there was a guild member there last year to oversee the whole process. The vast, vast majority who turned up were civil.

Silly Old Wasp's post goes too far imo - but there are some valid points lurking in there. I understand that the soc were charged for the safety team's compulsory presence. Dunno whether €1600 is the correct figure, but I understand it broke the thousand mark (totally open to correction!!). For that money they could probably have hired a better trained security company. No idea what training the guild made it's safety team do, but a full time comapny is going to be the real deal.

I can only imagine what would happen if a nightclub decided to pull it's security for a night, so I'm not that surprised by the whole thing. Drunkeness + Little or no security = Rowdiness, fights and all that. Having to shove everyone back on a bus then - it's not hard to imagine it kicking off.

Again - I feel I need to say that I'm not making excuses for the mystery tour goings on, nor am I defending the goings on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Plautus wrote: »

Hah, invoking the Boer war and concentration camps. Stick to the Pharmacy degree and well out of Perrott Avenue son, or we'll be having strong words!

Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

It might be just me forgetting where exactly it was posted but it seems like the Guild posted up the report on their Facebook page and then removed it? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Advertisement