Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,060 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I will throw in another question just to keep things going. A religious one for a change.

Between which two cities was Paul the Apostle travelling when he experience his conversion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Damascus was one, I can't remember the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

looksee wrote: »
    I will throw in another question just to keep things going. A religious one for a change.

Between which two cities was Paul the Apostle travelling when he experience his conversion.

Tarsus?

Damascus is right, what was the other?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

All roads lead to Rome.... :pac:

• Advertisement

I already offered Tarsus without a response. Jerusalem?

Sorry I should have said no to Tarsus, that was where he was born. But yes, Jerusalem is the answer, he was travelling from Jerusalem to Damascus.

feargale wrote: »

1. What is the most populous country which is never credited with a Nobel Prize win?

Indonesia (c. 275 million, 4th in the world) is never credited, certainly not by Wikipedia. However Willem Einthoven (21 May 1860 – 29 September 1927) a Dutch physician who received the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1924, was born to Dutch parents in Semarang in the then Dutch East Indies. His widowed mother relocated the family to the Netherlands when he was ten years old.

2. What is the most populous country which is not the birthplace of a Nobel laureate?

Nobody born in the Philippines (c.110 million, 13th in the world) has been awarded a Nobel Prize.

But Franz Ontal, a native of Victorias, Negros Occidental, was the head inspector training of the United Nations’ Organization for the Protection of Chemical Weapons which won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2013.
    And Fr. Jose Ramon Villarin (born in Manila 30th January 1960) was part of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Al Gore and the IPCC jointly won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Indonesia is never credited, certainly not by Wikipedia. However Willem Einthoven (21 May 1860 – 29 September 1927) a Dutch physician who received the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1924, was born to Dutch parents in Semarang in the then Dutch East Indies. His widowed mother relocated the family to the Netherlands when he was ten years old.

Nobody born in the Philippines has been awarded a Nobel Prize.

But Franz Ontal, a native of Victorias, Negros Occidental, was the head inspector training of the United Nations’ Organization for the Protection of Chemical Weapons which won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Great questions in fairness. You’re up again I think?

Just to continue challenging your sanity, another " most populous" question, but easier this time:

Most populous country that never played in FIFA World Cup finals?

• Advertisement

I believe I owe a second question.

What are the only two languages, each of which is an official language of an EU member state, but neither of which is an official language of the European Union.
    One mark for each.
    To clarify, forget languages with regional recognition, e.g. Welsh is co-official with English in Wales but does not have countrywide official status in the UK.

Catalan and Basque? Probably not...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just to continue challenging your sanity, another " most populous" question, but easier this time:

Most populous country that never played in FIFA World Cup finals?

India perhaps

OldRio wrote: »
    India perhaps

Correct.
    India first attracted attention playing barefoot in the 1948 Olympics, and relatively speaking had a good run in the 1950s, including getting to the semi-finals at the Melbourne Olympics.

India qualified by default for the 1950 FIFA World Cup as a result of the withdrawal of all of their scheduled opponents. But lack of financial assistance to purchase tickets including the prospects of a very long sea journey meant that the team never made it to Brazil. Although FIFA imposed a rule banning barefoot play following 1948 Olympics where India had played barefoot. The myth that Indians refused to play because they were not allowed to play barefoot is not entirely true, according to the then Indian captain Shailen Manna, it was just a story to cover up the disastrous decision of the AIFF, who seem to have valued the Olympics over the World Cup. It was a seminal moment in Indian soccer. The team has never since come close to qualifying for the World Cup.

Your question?

New Home wrote: »
    Catalan and Basque? Probably not...

Nope. They have only regional status.

Nope. They have only regional status.

Turkish and Flemish?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Turkish and Flemish?

Turkish is correct, official in Cyprus.

Flemish is wrong. Standard Dutch is the official language in Belgium.

Albanian?

New Home wrote: »
    Albanian?

Nope.

Luxemburgish? (sp)

I run a language travel agency in real life. You finally asked a question in my realm of experience :D

• Advertisement

Luxemburgish? (sp)

I run a language travel agency in real life. You finally asked a question in my realm of experience :D

That's it.

I have an impression, but can find nothing to substantiate it, that a member state is confined to nominating one official language. Maybe it's an unwritten understanding. I don't know why Cyprus didn't nominate Turkish, since Greek also belongs to Greece, maybe because the number of speakers in Greek Cyprus is tiny.
    Luxemburgish? Their other two official languages, French and German are spoken for. Maybe they just couldn't be bothered.

Luxemburgish? (sp)

What do you do? Carry people to specific language areas to study languages? Organise courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What do you do? Carry people to specific language areas to study languages? Organise courses?
    These quiz questions are getting harder all the time. How am I supposed to know what IrishZ does in work?
    :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    These quiz questions are getting harder all the time. How am I supposed to know what IrishZ does in work?
    :D

€10 and I’ll share my answers with you :D

We operate as an agency bringing (mostly) Latin American students into Ireland and Canada for English language and Degree/Masters programmes. We place them into colleges, rather than providing any courses ourselves. Up and running a few years now and all going well - it’s a huge industry in Ireland that unfortunately very people know much about and is often tarnished by negative press!

I will be back shortly with a question :)

Linus Pauling - for what is he known and what is unique about him in this regard?

Linus Pauling - for what is he known and what is unique about him in this regard?

Winning two Nobel Prizes.

Winning two Nobel Prizes.

Correct but he is not unique in that sense. A bit more detail please

Correct but he is not unique in that sense. A bit more detail please

He won them in different categories,, chemistry and peace, I think.

• Advertisement

Correct, but still not unique. (Marie Cure being another example of a winner across two categories)

Advertisement