Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[JP] Japanese DSL market growing 10% per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I don't have the prices to hand but they're very very competitive over there (plus flatrate 56k is something like 12 dollars US a month)

Tha Japanese government are ploughing money into DSL to ensure takeup. Personally, I think that the real reason behind the massive push for broadband over there has more to do with a fear that the hated Koreans (call a spade a spade - /many/ Japanese people hate Korean people) will get to 100% coverage before them and steal the digital economy in the Far East. Either way, the Japanese are making fast headway towards almost universal broadband - they won't slow down until they get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Originally posted by sceptre
    I don't have the prices to hand but they're very very competitive over there (plus flatrate 56k is something like 12 dollars US a month)

12Mbits/sec for about EUR 20 per month from Yahoo! Japan's DSL service...

http://bbpromo.yahoo.co.jp/

And a million IP telephony subscribers using the service can call anywhere in JP or US for 2 cents per minute.

The world is turning into a service economy. Increasingly the only place one can get excellent service (hotels, restaurants, airlines, retail, etc) is in Asia. Why should telecommunications be any different?

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Japan is so far ahead technology-wise... I was watching TV earlier and teenage japanese soccer fans were taking pictures of the players in a japanese soccer team and they ALL were using mobile phones with cameras for the pictures.... funny sight :)

Originally posted by Lord of Terror
    Japan is so far ahead technology-wise... I was watching TV earlier and teenage japanese soccer fans were taking pictures of the players in a japanese soccer team and they ALL were using mobile phones with cameras for the pictures.... funny sight :)

Camerafones are pretty common over there all right. I was there for a few weeks in summer 2001 and there was a big advertising push on for the things. Add the success of i-Mode (as opposed to WAP) to that and you can see big revenues in Japan for mobile data transfer (most of which goes to NTT DoComo as they've got a lot of control over the market)

(all of which is pretty OT, but Lord of Terror is right - they do embrace technology as if it was an old friend - the emphasis the government puts on the country remaining advanced and competitive also has a great effect in adoption of new technologies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveirl
    But they aren't very competitive anymore.

You're certainly not wrong there Dave. The Japanese government are well aware of this and are paranoid that the Koreans to the west will steal a march on them with all this new-fangled technology they're running to every apartment and will rule the economic world from Seoul. hence the (relatively recent) emphasis on telecoms over there.

Up to two or three years ago telecoms in Japan was a complete mess, at least in the fixed-line business. Call costs were amazingly expensive (still are if people don't use VoIP or a VoIP service) and the condition of the actual wires was worse than what we have here. It's been an amazing turnaround for them since with government investment and pretty heavy-handed regulation.

Advertisement