Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trimbles Insults Pathetic?

Options
  • 10-03-2002 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

http://www.utvinternet.com/news_disp/index.asp?pt=n&p=indepth&id=15290

David Trimble said today and I quote "[the republic was a] pathetic, sectarian mono-ethnic, mono-cultural state".

How pathetic is this, the protestants in the North seem to keep repeating the same mantra... they talk about some strange version of the Irish Republic that may or may not have existed 20 years ago but certainly doesn't now.

Yeah they have better roads whoopee...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why not quote it all in its glory?...annoys the hell out of me...

``Contrast the United Kingdom state - a vibrant multi-ethnic, multinational liberal democracy, the fourth largest economy in the world, the most reliable ally of the United States in the fight against international terrorism - with the pathetic sectarian, mono-ethnic, mono-cultural state to our south.``

Grrr..this one person from that "pathetic" state that takes offence.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Didn't the government of this wonderful country just hold an expensive referendum purely on the prompting of a single politician on the basis of

"ah, shure, yez didn't really *understand* the last referendum, did yez? Ye'd much rather swap the result for one that the aul bishop approves of, wouldn't ye? Shure, we'll even pretend to "protect" women while we're illegally enshrining statutory punishments into the constitution, by makin yez think we're protecting the morning after pill. It'll be grand."

A more cynical and hateful piece of legislation has never been put before the people. Bear in mind it only just got defeated. Casual racism is also endemic in this society. The best retort to Mr. Trimbles statement is merely to point out that whatever graces he attributes to Britain above, most certainly do not apply to the North, or to most of its inhabitants. In many ways this is an intolerant, proscriptive society. But at least we're more developed than the likes of the Holy Cross oiks (on both sides of the police cordon) and their tacit supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    Didn't the government of this wonderful country just hold an expensive referendum purely on the prompting of a single politician on the basis of

"ah, shure, yez didn't really *understand* the last referendum, did yez? Ye'd much rather swap the result for one that the aul bishop approves of, wouldn't ye? Shure, we'll even pretend to "protect" women while we're illegally enshrining statutory punishments into the constitution, by makin yez think we're protecting the morning after pill. It'll be grand."
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I wouldnt take too much offence at what Trimble says. To be honest it makes him look worse, and I dont doubt there will be some form of apology - it has to be remembered that there are many voters up there who think a lot, lot worse of the republic and he has to play for their votes too.

His language was over the top but hes hardly going to be caught saying that a united Ireland is a good thing. In any case, as someone has already mentioned Northern Ireland does not share the attributes he believes characterises the rest of the UK. As for his comments regarding us, calling us sectarian is a little short sighted considering Holy Cross etc etc. And Ive said before I dont see whats wrong with being mono-ethnic or cultural. Its simply the way Ireland has developed. Maybe we should undertake a widespread import program of foreign people so we can be "good".

All in all it sounds like he said it in the heat of the moment when he wasnt thinking straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sands, he was'nt loosing it rather he was simply playing to the gallery, most delegates are proberly everything Trimble was supposedly railing against. As was pointed out on radio this morning the Orange Order has a block vote he needs to remain party leader, the Order are not famously secular.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I would tend to agree.
    Mr Trimble is a good player at the local politics game.
    He doesn't mind having to privately apoligise for these comments.
    No doubt also Bertie and Tony won't give the comments much credence either as Trimble has to say things like this to get his mp's elected.
    Unfortunately the tautology behind it is that of a closed mind.

I can remember,from last years behind the scenes documentary on the making of the Good friday agreement that some Irish officials commented that the whole process was strange for unionists in that they weren't used to negotiating.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

All political leaders are nob-faces. Trimble has always had to have the odd spurt of virulent anti-irishness, just like the time he danced down the road arm in arm with Paisley at an orange order march. He's just trying to survive in the normal ratty, cowardly way politicians do by playing to the lowest common denominator.

And the abortion referendum wasn't brought about by that slutmonkey, but because unfortunately the current government is propped up by a select few independents who wanted this referendum. It's no coincidence that the referendum took place promptly before the general election, if he backstabbed them and didn't hold one he'd risk losing their support in the upcoming election aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

This post has moved to a new thread in politics for those that are probably uninterested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

I think Trimble is just looking to raise his profile in the unionist camp.

IN ALL FAIRNESS, rightly or wrongly, unionist/ unionism has taken an enourmous amount of sledging over the last few years. He is just had a go at the thing which Irish people most sacred. The terrible beauty of the Irish Republic. He basically wants to show the unionist people of this country that he is on their side. Irish people (including Irish politicans) for donkeys years have been having a go at England, British Empire, Northern Ireland, unionists, stormount, RUC...........etc.

But when someone has a go at us its all

"How dare he, does he know who we are, we are the Republic of Ireland, the cheek, my God its blastphemous, Oh Lord poor Padraig Pearse would be spinning in his grave"

Personnaly i find it hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I cant see what the fuss is about.

Trimble can think any damn thing he likes about our nation, and he has the right to express his views as openly as the rest of us.

Regardless of whether or not he was playing to the crowd, or being honest, his expressed opinion of Ireland is irrelevant. He has to work with us, not love us.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Well .. he's been at it again.

He called the referendum vote a "sectarian vote" in the USA. Go figure??

I mean .. had the vote been a "yes" then it would have had a sectarian element, since it was backed by the catholic church. But it wasn't passed, which means the catholic church lost. So how in the name of F*CK was it a sectarian vote??

The guy is just taking potshots now to keep the likes of Paisley onside. And what I find most amusing is that the unionists have gone and blocked the Ballymena farm show from extending into a sunday to "preserve the sabbath".

And they're calling US sectarian and mono-ethnic??????

pot meet kettle, now shut the f*ck up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As I said in the last thread
    Lets test how pluralist and multi-ethnic NI is, lets all try and join the Orange Order, I sure because I was a Catholic at birth won't be held against me in such a ethopian paradise they have up there. Sure maybe we should all club together and head up

Gandalf.

(although they do have affordable broadband up there)

Maybe if we tried to join the same lodge as David Trimble, get some press with us. Then they would see who is sectarian :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Maybe if we tried to join the same lodge as David Trimble, get some press with us. Then they would see who is sectarian

Hmmm, that would be amusing if nothing else:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I think trimble will alienate some of his followers by his comments.

Northern Ireland people most of them anyway have had enough fighting and want to be prosperous like us in the south. imho
    (although they do have affordable broadband up there)

and they'll get all the irish and english channels on sky too :D

Advertisement