Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running on Woodland Trails?

Options
  • 20-05-2005 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any scenic routes to go running in Waterford? I used to go in the Faithlegg direction and go up to the Minaun and then back to where I parked the car, usually at the church. (Im not in the right condition to run to Faithlegg from town yet!!)

Does anyone know any nice airey little woodland lanes or trails of some sort that are nice to go running on? A route of about 3 miles would be excellent. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Trotter wrote:
    Can anyone recommend any scenic routes to go running in Waterford? I used to go in the Faithlegg direction and go up to the Minaun and then back to where I parked the car, usually at the church. (Im not in the right condition to run to Faithlegg from town yet!!)

Does anyone know any nice airey little woodland lanes or trails of some sort that are nice to go running on? A route of about 3 miles would be excellent. Thanks!!

Check out Ballyscanlan and Portlaw; both have been used for Orienteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Where abouts in Portlaw? Do you know the specific spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Theres a book I have here called "Waterford Walks", it describes some nice scenic walks (I assume theres no stopping you running) and includes maps, if you want I can scan through a few pages.

Or if you want to buy it, its called "Waterford Walks - 15 great Co.Waterford Walks" by "Michael Fewer" and published by Ballylough books.

I for one just run a long the key at night, across the bridge and up Rockshire road to the nursing home and then back. It's not scenic but I like it because its very demanding!

Theres a book I have here called "Waterford Walks", it describes some nice scenic walks (I assume theres no stopping you running) and includes maps, if you want I can scan through a few pages.

Or if you want to buy it, its called "Waterford Walks - 15 great Co.Waterford Walks" by "Michael Fewer" and published by Ballylough books.

I for one just run a long the key at night, across the bridge and up Rockshire road to the nursing home and then back. It's not scenic but I like it because its very demanding!

It'd be fantastic if you could scan a map or two of the runs you think would be good! I'll head to the book centre later on and see if I can get my hands on it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Trotter wrote:
    Where abouts in Portlaw? Do you know the specific spots?

Any of the woods in portlaw are grand. Plenty of hills in all of them though. Most of the trails join back around on to each other too so you can head in different directions and still arrive back in the same spot without backtracking. The roads are fairly bad there in most places though so you have to be careful of your footing at the best of times. The woods behind St. Patricks church (the big one on the hill) are probably the best starting out as they would be flatter than the others.

• Advertisement

c - 13 wrote:
    Any of the woods in portlaw are grand. Plenty of hills in all of them though. Most of the trails join back around on to each other too so you can head in different directions and still arrive back in the same spot without backtracking. The roads are fairly bad there in most places though so you have to be careful of your footing at the best of times. The woods behind St. Patricks church (the big one on the hill) are probably the best starting out as they would be flatter than the others.

Any idea where Id get a map of the woods in Portlaw?? Could any orienteering people scan their one for me by any chance?

Advertisement