Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo suggestions

Options
  • 02-04-2024 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Excuse my ignorance, I am a complete novice on these matters.

I am considering visiting Tokyo next year, it has forever been on my bucket list. I don't travel much, so I am really looking forward to it. I am only in the early stages of planning, but I would appreciate your suggestions.

Would Heathrow Airport be the best airport to fly to Tokyo?

Would 12 days be enough, or too much? I would like to visit Kyoto, and Mount Fuji too. In your opinion, what would be the best time of the year to visit? I hear that June/July/August/September is very humid, and busy.

And just one last question, I know it is impossible to answer, but just a ball park figure. Would around 4, or 5 thousand euro be enough for everything including travel etc? Not anything fancy, just a room with a decent wide view of the city.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Get the rail pass before you go.I didn't find as expensive as I thought it would be, but that was a number of years ago.

I think you will be ok with your budget.

It is a wonderful, if not bizzare country full of lovely friendly people…

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

We flew Dublin-Helsinki-Tokyo Haneda with Finnair last year. I couldn't recommend Finnair highly enough. The flight transfer in Helsinki was seamless. It was much less hassle than past experiences of transferring in Heathrow. We flew over the North Pole too with Russian airspace being closed. The return flight cost about €1100. The outbound leg of the flight was premium economy.

We travelled in February 2023 and the weather wasn't too bad. It wasn't any colder in Tokyo than Ireland. It snowed on one of the days but it wasn't heavy enough to stop you going out and doing things. Japan in the summer would be just too hot for me.

We bought the rail pass at the JR station in Haneda airport. A 7 day ticket cost €240. You had to show your passport to get the pass. We travelled to Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima on the rail pass. I think we got some local trains in Kyoto too that were covered on the JR pass. If getting a hotel in Tokyo I'd recommend getting a hotel on the Yamanote line. It's a circular train line in Tokyo that serves a lot of the tourist areas and your JR pass will also work on the line. Tokyo subway lines aren't included in the JR pass though but you can get a Suica card for the subway that you can top up. We didn't have to use the subway too much thanks to the Yamanote line being a JR line. The Suica card also worked on the Osaka subway and you can buy things from vending machines with the card also. Vending machines are everywhere in Japan!

We spent 7 days there and did fit a lot in. Probably too much in 7 days. 10 days would have been better. Hotel rooms in Tokyo are small and they are expensive. We stayed in the Hotel Sunroute in Shinjuku.

I think I spent about €3600, excluding spending money. That covered my flights, Tokyo hotel, Osaka hotel, JR pass and a very nice hotel with great views over Tokyo for our last night in Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Gympodie

Many thanks, Nigel, for the invaluable advice.

That is very helpful, because I would have chosen Heathrow otherwise.

I am considering either October (colorful foliage and comfortable temperatures, warm but not too warm), or April (Spring really bursts into life). Maybe leaning towards 10 to 12 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Gympodie

Thank you, 4AD

I am really looking forward to it.

The striking neon lights of Tokyo with the juxtaposition of the beauty of the temples, with the ancient customs and traditions.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Just be wary April can be a pricey time to visit Japan. A lot of people visit Japan at that time of the year for the cherry blossoms. Golden week also falls around the end of April and a lot of Japanese people take holidays around then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

I traveled last year in May and June. Dublin - Abu Dhabi - Tokyo Narita. The return trip cost around €860 with Etihad.

As mentioned, the Rail Pass is highly recommended. It saves a lot of time and hassle and is well worth it.

Communication in Japan is amazing and relatively easy to navigate.

I stayed in Tokyo for 3 days. I would suggest adding a few things for the 4th day. I also visited Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Osaka. Be sure to take a ferry ride to Itsukushima Island when you're in Hiroshima; tickets are included in the Rail Pass.

Must-see places between Tokyo and Hiroshima for me include Himeji Castle, Osaka Castle, a full day in Kyoto, and Nara.

In Tokyo, I stayed at Hotel Villa Fontaine Grand Tokyo - Shiodome. Small rooms but great service and just beside the metro line.

Enjoy your trip. Japan is amazing. I am really looking forward to visiting again myself.

PS. Some people may experience 'culture shock,' so be prepared ;)

Advertisement