Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle Feed Trough - clever idea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭limo_100

great idea but I just have one 14ft trough and I move it around pen by pen they eat spuriously fast so usually when I'm back with the next nuts the trough is ready to go. I also have 2 Gibney hanging barrier troughs I found them heavy but also brilliant for smaller stock that can't reach the ground.

I used to feed on the passageway before this year wonder was I loosening much nuts under the timbers? Although Id say the cattle are very efficient without or without troughs.

Wonder how much a job like that would cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mr..

Would they start scratching off it and bend it, other than that its a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

That was my thinking. Maybe a higher hinge point and an electric winch would be the rolls Royce job

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He says they don't bother with it, once it's up.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I came up with a similar idea 5 or 6 years ago, my one hinged on the top barrier, fitted it on one pen but i just cut legs off a standard field trough and as a result it was heavy enough to lift up, played with the idea of putting a motor on it but it would be too expensive then.

I've missed out!

I actually like your man's design better than my own, think it's a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It’s a great job but just another way to complicate a simple job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Probably alright for slatted sheds. Straw bedded sheds I'd say the animal would end up being able to reach it.

It's a pity nobody could come up with some way of convincing the animals just eat the meal off the passageway ground or off the top of the silage in front of them. I'm not knocking your man. He made a good job. I just don't know whether it would be worth the hassle. I'd say there'd nearly always be one trying to get his head back into it when you are lifting it up

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ralph_GM

Decent idea, had this in my head years ago.

He won't be making a lot of money from it though, he says they all have to be custom made.

I also think the chain holding it when it's up makes it look cheap, from the perspective of trying to make sales. Should have some kind of latch on the end to keep it up.

I'd also wonder why the animals wouldn't scratch on them, ours would.

It looks to be heavy enough, basically have to lift a full length trough. Just using the half barrel itself would be as handy I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

What’s wrong with throwing meal on the silage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

O Donnell engineering did that years ago with a spring loaded bolt rather than chain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

You could say the latter about stuff mixed into a diet feeder

Advertisement