Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to live (/not to live) whilst working at Stephens Green + Inchicore

Options
  • 05-07-2021 5:44pm

They are the two primary places of interest.

Stephens green daytime, Inchicore evening time.

So, I'd imagine it would be somewhere at or between one of the two, to make the commute as easy as possible.

Given the cost of living in D2, it's almost certainly going to be further out west, somewhere in or adjacent to Inchicore itself.

Any recommended locations vs places to definitely try and avoid?

Though I hear the Inchicore area has undergone some gentrification in recent years so, maybe it's all good out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

They are the two primary places of interest.

Stephens green daytime, Inchicore evening time.

So, I'd imagine it would be somewhere at or between one of the two, to make the commute as easy as possible.

Given the cost of living in D2, it's almost certainly going to be further out west, somewhere in or adjacent to Inchicore itself.

Any recommended locations vs places to definitely try and avoid?

Though I hear the Inchicore area has undergone some gentrification in recent years so, maybe it's all good out there?

The quiet parts of Kilmainham are lovely with nice parks at IMMA and the memorial gardens. Inchicore houses rather than flats, and the South Circular Road are probably grand also but I don't know them as well.

The Coombe area and Dolphins Barn have undergone extensive redevelopment in recent years and house a motley crew, recommended if you like an interesting life.

If you just want an easy commute then maybe Drimnagh might suit but I think it's a very boring place to live.

athlone573 wrote: »
    The quiet parts of Kilmainham are lovely with nice parks at IMMA and the memorial gardens. Inchicore houses rather than flats, and the South Circular Road are probably grand also but I don't know them as well.

The Coombe area and Dolphins Barn have undergone extensive redevelopment in recent years and house a motley crew, recommended if you like an interesting life.

If you just want an easy commute then maybe Drimnagh might suit but I think it's a very boring place to live.

Boring is good.

Boring and quiet all day, so long as I don't have swat away hoards of scrotes every time I'm leaving my place of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Boring is good.

Boring and quiet all day, so long as I don't have swat away hoards of scrotes every time I'm leaving my place of residence.

Have a walk over the Marble Arch Bridge someday and see what you think. It's about a square mile of identikit houses with gardens and the odd shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Moved into Drimnagh myself two months ago and can say it's very quiet - which tbh is what we were after as two young enough professionals who go out in town or a local drink/food. Get the odd small gang of kids but nothing like what you'd see in other areas of mobs of 40-50 of them. Good few houses gone up for sale near us on Cooley Road/Kilworth Rd and other roads so the area around this side will probably see similar young enough professionals/family moving in given the prices of the houses (325-400k). I can walk to Inchicore in 10 mins and I walked down to Stephens Green in 35 mins a few weeks ago.

Bear in mind, St. Michaels Estate area will end up as a huge construction job in the coming years. So if you're buying and tend to be there long term, expect disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

Have lived in Drimnagh for nearly 5 years, I was a complete blow in at the time didn't know the area and I find it hard to see myself ever leaving. It's a quiet arena, it's a good mix of elderly people who've been here for decades and young professionals/families. We have retired neighbours on both sides who always keep an eye on our house if we're out or offer to help with anything we need. neighbours across the road will call in if they see anything dodgy in the area (which is very rare)
    You won't go wrong in the areas around Brandon/Mangerton/Comeragh/Cooley/Errigal, its about 10 minute walk to inchicore from around there and just a decent vibe around the place.

I've never had any issues with gangs or kids or intimidation or anything like that, certainly not within the residential roads of Drimnagh, Ive been walking around the residential roads on most days/evenings throughout covid and never had any problems. Drimnagh/Goldenbridge luas stops can have some unsavoury types hanging around but just spend as little time as possible at them. I've never seen any issues at the blackhorse stop which I use regularly. Generally speaking though it is not even worth a second thought, I grew up in Lucan and that kind of thing was far worse there. I have actually found most of the teenagers around to be really decent

Inchicore has become a really active, saught after spot over the last 3 or 4 years, it's going a similar way that stoneybatter did. With that has come price hikes so you are likely to find far better value in Drimnagh

If I can help in any way just message me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

Inchicore is definetly undergoing gentrification, so many coffee shops opening and an organic food shop recently opened and doing well. It has luas and good bus services to town as well as being next to one of the best parks in Dublin, the war memorial park. I'd avoid areas close to the spar or St Michaels estate personally but even there is due a big regeneration project.

Advertisement