Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeve - Advice Around Designing/Structuring, Process Etc

Options
  • 03-07-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies for the basic and perhaps silly questions, but I was just looking for some advice from you folk far more knowledgeable than me regarding structuring/designing a tattoo sleeve and the process around same.

I have decided I would like to get a full sleeve tattoo and while I have ideas of certain things I would like on it (specific images, symbols, text etc), I have absolutely no idea what way I want it structured or layed out.

I guess I’m really just wondering what the next step is? Is it to make an appointment with an artist, go to them with these ideas of what I would like on the sleeve and for him/her to come up with some concrete plans, or do I need to have a little more?

Also, what way does payment work? I know the artist will obviously charge a deposit, but what way does it work in terms of sitting down to put designs together etc? Funds are no issue as I have a generous amount saved up for this, so there’ll be no messing around from me regarding money or time-wasting.

Thanks guys. Any help or pointing in the right direction as to what to do next with my basic ideas of what I want on the sleeve would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Have you decided on an artist for the sleeve?

Best thing to do if you have is to get in touch with them with your ideas and they will give you feedback on placement and layout. They will have a good idea of what will work and what won't.

For my sleeves the fee was agreed beforehand for them, charged by the hour but they were fair about it and didn't include breaks in that time and the last 2 hour session of touch up's wasn't charged. Some artists charge by piece and that includes the sketching and stenciling time on you, others charge by the hour and do the same. It really is up to the artist. I've seen some recently charge a day rate and the amount of time done is largely up to what you can handle during the time.

Advertisement