Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A noob at investing

Options
  • 07-03-2018 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭

A the thread title says I am a noob at this. I have a small amount (€50 to €100) which I have that I am thinking of maybe investing. I have no idea if even this is enough. What types would be best (I can say amount would not hinder my meeting of bills etc if gone). Or how to go about it should I go through my bank a broker. Any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

E50 - E100 in total, or per week/month?

If its in total, I woudn't bother - just put it in the bank, pay off debts, or have a good night on the town! Investing that small of an amount long term is somewhat pointless in my opinion, as fees will chew it up, and its more hassle than its worth.

If is monthly, I would not go to a bank. Again, with such a small amount, I would question if investing is worth it. Paying debts, building rainy day fund, overpaying mortgage would be more beneficial in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

E50 - E100 in total, or per week/month?

If its in total, I woudn't bother - just put it in the bank, pay off debts, or have a good night on the town! Investing that small of an amount long term is somewhat pointless in my opinion, as fees will chew it up, and its more hassle than its worth.

If is monthly, I would not go to a bank. Again, with such a small amount, I would question if investing is worth it. Paying debts, building rainy day fund, overpaying mortgage would be more beneficial in my opinion.

I'm interested in this also. I was wondering martingriff, how would you suggest building up a 'rainy day fund' as you also said you wouldn't recommend going to a bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this also. I was wondering martingriff, how would you suggest building up a 'rainy day fund' as you also said you wouldn't recommend going to a bank?

I said that :-) I meant don't go to bank for investing. Absolutely go to bank for saving for rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I said that :-) I meant don't go to bank for investing. Absolutely go to bank for saving for rainy day.

I have an okay rainy day fund built up and I could possible use some of it but I feel squeaky bum. I would start with the small amount just to get my feet wet and was thinking of leaving it mid to long term and when I have a bit more do it again. I am not looking to go in seriously just as a "hobby" for want of a right word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

• Advertisement
Advertisement