Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cross-party grassroots movement for progressive politics in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-08-2017 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks. I'm Scott Moore, I'm based in the north, and I run a Facebook page called Progressive Politics NI (fb.me/ProgPoliticsNI).
    We're built on a few simple ideas: bringing together progressive-minded, broad-left, socially liberal people who endorse a range of parties. Getting them behind a Progressive Charter - a set of policies which they can all broadly agree on. Uniting them against the DUP, who have been the main force against progressive politics here. And using social media to promote our policies and oppose the DUP, with the eventual aim of getting a website set up, putting out articles, and organising public meetings on the ground to push for progressive policies and organise opposition to the DUP.
    While I've been doing this, there has been a thought on my mind - could this be done in the south?
    I'd like to think my understanding of politics in the rest of the island isn't that rough, and that Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are the socially illiberal, conservative, broad-right parties to oppose.
    Would there be support for a cross-party movement based on a common set of key policies, working with progressive individuals across SF, Labour, Solidarity-PBP, I4C, Greens, SDs, and WUA in opposition to FG/FF?
    I'd love to hear people's thoughts, or if anyone would be interested.
    EDIT: Just to clarify (particularly for mods), I am not trying to be self-promotional here, the purpose of my post remains discussing the prospect of a movement like this in the south.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So what is it exactly about FG/FF that you would oppose ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Promoting your own website/facebook page is not appropriate

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement