Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage job in Dublin

Options
  • 12-05-2017 7:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭

Could somebody live on a minimum wage job in Dublin?

I'm considering a move to Dublin but the expense is turning me off. I don't drink or smoke. I don't have a car but would probably have to rely on public transport. There's also food, bills and activities like an event night.

Is it possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I'm considering a move to Dublin but the expense is turning me off. I don't drink or smoke. I don't have a car but would probably have to rely on public transport. There's also food, bills and activities like an event night.

Is it possible?

Yes, you can live off minimum wage in Dublin quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Once you have a nice shipping container to live in or manage to find an unused shed to squat in you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Is it possible?

Principal issue is rent. Check out daft.ie see what the rents are like for areas you you would be happy living in. Work out how much transport would cost, deduct it from what your income will be and then you will have a rough idea of whether you can live on the remainder.

I know these things are all dependent on personally habits and expectations but I have to be honest I don't think it would be easy to live in Dublin, paying rent and have a good life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Min wage is about 370 a week is it? Take 150 or so out of that for accommodation (rent and bills) and you have 220 left. 20 for a phone bill, 40 for food, 20 for transport at least and you are at 140 left. After that it depends on what you like to do yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

Expense is the only thing turning you off???....jesus there's loads of other things lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

gifted wrote: »
    Expense is the only thing turning you off???....jesus there's loads of other things lol lol

Heroin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Heroin?

Difficult on minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Why dont you look for a maximum wage job?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Try Cork city. Cheaper and much nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Yakult wrote: »

Cheaper yes... both in terms of price and quality.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Yakult wrote: »

But its full of Cork people.

And Cork people wanabees.

And langers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If I had €9.25 for every time this thread has been done....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If I had €9.25 for every time this thread has been done....

....you'd be 10 cent short of minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The answer is yes, you can.

But the big question is what sort of lifestyle would you have?

And the answer is none. Well unless you consider living on toast and beans and never going etc a lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

It's do-able. I couldn't do it, but it's do-able. A friend of mine manages it on less, but she's a student living in a houseshare with 5 people and very little discretionary expenditure. It makes me think twice about what I spend when I think about how she manages to save money!

It all depends on what your priorities are. You won't be out on the town every weekend (or every second weekend) on minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

assuming there aren't any other major factors not mentioned.......

A better plan would be to get a job (even minimum wage) locally. Set a time limit of a year, suck up the idea that you mightn't have a great social life (assuming that's the main driver here). Do a course that will build up your employment prospects, or a language (can learn a lot in a year). Do a course in something you enjoy that is NOT related to work. Learn to drive a car and at least get the licence.

I say do all that, because if you get to Dublin on minimum wage, you are trapped, and probably wont be able to afford courses, afford driving lessons, afford much of anything really. And then what will you have at the end of the year?

I think a lot of people are desperate to get out of their situation just by changing location, but whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of just "existing" and not having the opportunity to further yourself and improve prospects. It takes patience and planning, but you'll be in a hugely different scenario, and a better one to boot.

pangbang wrote: »
    assuming there aren't any other major factors not mentioned.......

A better plan would be to get a job (even minimum wage) locally. Set a time limit of a year, suck up the idea that you mightn't have a great social life (assuming that's the main driver here). Do a course that will build up your employment prospects, or a language (can learn a lot in a year). Do a course in something you enjoy that is NOT related to work. Learn to drive a car and at least get the licence.

I say do all that, because if you get to Dublin on minimum wage, you are trapped, and probably wont be able to afford courses, afford driving lessons, afford much of anything really. And then what will you have at the end of the year?

I think a lot of people are desperate to get out of their situation just by changing location, but whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of just "existing" and not having the opportunity to further yourself and improve prospects. It takes patience and planning, but you'll be in a hugely different scenario, and a better one to boot.

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

OP Dublin isn't the be all and all. If the minimum wage job is something that will be temporary and better your career then suck it up and do it. But if its a Mickey Mouse jib that you could get similar up the road then you'd be mad for the quoted posters reasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement