Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting through sobriety

• 02-02-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I am with my partner over four years now and since we met, he has had issues with alcohol. One beer goes straight to his head and then he just cannot stop. Finally, after a particularly nasty incident that I won't go into, he decided that enough was enough and that he was never going to drink alcohol again. I know he won’t master it straight away and that there will be issues ahead but at first he said, he would attend a AA meeting just to see what it was like and then he said he didn’t think he needed to attend one. He hasn’t got many friends and the ones he has are drinking buddies, so at the very least I think he needs to go so he can meet people who don’t drink anymore. I don’t want to be the nagging girlfriend either and part of me thinks I should let him make his mistakes. I am at a loss really, and would appreciate some guidance from people who have had similar experiences.

Apologies if this against the rules.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Hi Lux, ever been to any AlAnon meetings? They are for family and friends of problem drinkers, may be of help to you. May be worth looking into Open AA meetings in your area also. Best of luck with it all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Sounds like the guilty hangover feeling wore off and he changed his mind. He'll likely slip back into drinking, if so, suggest a meeting again and if he agrees tell him he needs to follow through this time and not back out when 'the fear' subsides.

It's very hard to up and quit on your own and people will avoid facing the problem until they have hit rock bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well he seems pretty determined so far. He said he has no interest in drinking. So its over a week now. I am not going to nag him about going to meetings, he's probably better off making the mistakes on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

He is still going strong, he has the urge to drink but hasn't relented yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Maybe try to tease out what it was about the meeting that he didn't like and perhaps suggest that he try one of the other support groups that are out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement