Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using Readyboost?

Options
  • 04-04-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I was unaware of this feature in windows 10, Since I've been disappointed with my recent laptop purchase where my system ram cannot be upgraded I came across this readyboost feature. Instead of your system using the hard disk to cache data you can use a USB stick or an SD card. I plugged in an 8Gb SD card and formatted it as 'exfat' and dedicated it to readyboost as per windows recommendations. One thing is for sure my laptop boots wayyyy faster now and it seems to cache recently used apps like MS Visual studio, edge and a few other commonly used apps. I can see them opening quicker. It sort of eases my disappointment of having soldered in ram modules. In my opinion Readyboost is well worth using, at least with my laptops configurations with its doomed 4gb ram limitations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Around since Vista IIRC. You need a fast card/stick. Using it for this may wear it out.

Also try sleep & hibernate for improved boot times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Most USB keys and SD cards have a limited amount of writes, some as little as 1000. You'll need a constant supply as they won't last long

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, RPi users have seen just hownlomg consumer cards last, they're designed for cameras etc with maybe a few GB written per week at most. Nothing near constant writes.

Get an Ultrafit from Corsair or similar, faster and will last at least a reasonable while.

Advertisement