Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended unfairly?

Options
  • 26-11-2015 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I was recently suspended without pay as I had an argument with my HR and store manager.
    There was swearing involved and I was told to shut up by my HR manager. I'm he end I clocked out at my fostered time however I'm contractually obliged to stay on later so I technically left without permission. The reasons for my suspensions I think we're because of the language and then leaving. However, the manager has since told the whole story to my girlfriends step dad which has nothing to do with him? I've never been in trouble before so I feel suspension was a bit over reactive. I apologised prior to my suspension and I also feel I was singled out by the employer.
    Can anyone tell me if I was treated unfairly. I know I shouldn't have left and the argument was bad and everyone was shouting at each other. But the rudeness was from both sides as management was telling us to shut up and also not leaving me have a say at all.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Whatever happened, your boss has no right to tell any third party outside the company. His or her own boss maybe, but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Are you suspended pending investigation and a disciplinary hearing? If so, that is perfectly within the rights of your employer, also you can have your contract terminated for gross misconduct. You should right everything down so you have a clear record of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

p sherman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was recently suspended without pay as I had an argument with my HR and store manager.
    There was swearing involved and I was told to shut up by my HR manager. I'm he end I clocked out at my fostered time however I'm contractually obliged to stay on later so I technically left without permission. The reasons for my suspensions I think we're because of the language and then leaving. However, the manager has since told the whole story to my girlfriends step dad which has nothing to do with him? I've never been in trouble before so I feel suspension was a bit over reactive. I apologised prior to my suspension and I also feel I was singled out by the employer.
    Can anyone tell me if I was treated unfairly. I know I shouldn't have left and the argument was bad and everyone was shouting at each other. But the rudeness was from both sides as management was telling us to shut up and also not leaving me have a say at all.
    Thanks.

Have they given you a notice of suspension pending investigation? Did they say you were AWOL in the letter. The employer suspending you without pay is a bit unusual and could come back to bite them. Your post needs more context, we're you in a meeting with you hr and store manager when this happened or what?

Also OP, how long have you worked there and does your girlfriend's step dad work there? I'm afraid if you shout obscenities at your manager and then leave without permission, I'm not sure you can claim that you are being unfairly singled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

davo10 wrote: »
    Also OP, how long have you worked there and does your girlfriend's step dad work there? I'm afraid if you shout obscenities at your manager and then leave without permission, I'm not sure you can claim that you are being unfairly singled out.
    The suspension is my punishment. The argument occurred when management dragged me into an argument that had nothing to do with me in the first place. I was doing my job when I was out o the phone to the HR manager. They shouted at me so I just hung up as I didn't see how this was in any way called for. I feel they have been looking to get me in trouble since I had to complain about being rostered on a day I'm not meant to work a few weeks ago which they could've easily resolved but decided to be ridiculous about it. They came to the store that night and called me and another to the office. We were shouting at eachother in there. It was loud but no insults were used so I wouldn't say obscenities were said. The store manager arrived and then the shooting stopped and we talked. However I was told if I go home I'm gone from the job as I said I'm not staying on past my roster due to the way the floor manager had treated me that night who is notoriously in arguments with staff. In the end I left. I worked the next day hassle free. The next day I worked after that then I was called to a meeting. It was a disciplinary one. It resulted in my suspension. However I know of other people that same night who walked out early also. Then my gfs step dad heard about it and he works in a completely different store and he heard in detail about it. In the disciplinary meeting I was told we will draw a line under it and not talk about it again however that obviously hasn't happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 p sherman

The HR manager has had a problem with me for the past two weeks because they made a mistake on the roster and I wanted hours reimbursed because of it as it was going to cost me a days work otherwise. Another person I work with and the floor manager were argueing that night. Floor manager rings the HR manager who requests to speak to me. I was out on the phone and the they began shouting at me. Eventually I just hung up. Then I went on continuing working when the HR manager arrived at the store. I and the other person were called to her office. The three of us were shouting at eachother but no insults were used. The store manager finally arrived also and the shouting stopped. The other person I work with walked out. I then went on to say I'm not staying last my roster now because others have left after being asked to stay and the manager that's on is treating me like s@@t. I was told if I leave I'm gone for good. I left on the end and came in the next day and worked the full day hassle free. The following day I was in I was called to the office for a disciplinary hearing with the store manager and hr manager. The suspension without pay was my punishment. I was told I can appeal should I wish. I was also told that we can leave it there, move on, it won't be talked about again. I've been there just over a year and this was my only time in trouble. I know I acted bad on the night but I was dragged into an argue meant that didn't involve me. Also my gfs step dad works in a completely different store a good distance away and he now knows about it so obviously it's been talked about between managers and that's private business

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Make notes NOW, about everything while it's fresh in your memory.
    Also write a complaint into HR about your manager disclosing private data to some not involved in this issue, you have right to fair processing and by this manager talking may have jeopardised this...
    Have you union? If so contact them, if not get someone you trust to be a witness at all meeting, you are entitled to this.

The problem with situations like this is that we only get to read one side of the story.

How long have you worked there?

How long is your suspension, are they investigating what occurred and have you received anything in writing?

What does your contract say about disciplinary procedure?

Advertisement