Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this curve exist?

Options
  • 23-08-2015 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would like to know does this curve exist and if so what form does it take:

Take any points on a curve, multiply the (absolute) value of x and y and the answer is the same for any value of x,y.

So for example, if points (3,4) and (4,3) are on a curve, 3*4 = 4*3 = 12, points (6,2) and (2,6) might be on the curve too because 6*2 = 2*6 = 12. Hence the curve has to have points all of which are true for XY=12?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

If I understand your question correctly, there are two obvious ones, the lines y=0 and the line x=0. (i.e the x any y axis respectively)

For example, the any point along the x-axis is of the form (x,0). So when we multiply the x and y coordinates we always get 0.

Edit: I just noticed you want x and y to vary. If that is the case, I don't think there is a curve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

TheBody wrote: »
    If I understand your question correctly, there are two obvious ones, the lines y=0 and the line x=0. (i.e the x any y axis respectively)

For example, the any point along the x-axis is of the form (x,0). So when we multiply the x and y coordinates we always get 0.

Edit: I just noticed you want x and y to vary. If that is the case, I don't think there is a curve.

Thanks The Body!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

I might be misunderstanding the question but I think what you are asking is what is the curve or curves for the implicit equation

[latex]\displaystyle{\left|xy\right|=\left|x\right|\left|y\right|=12}[/latex].

It looks like there are two curves for which the above equation is true.

[latex]\displaystyle{y=\pm12/x}[/latex]

Here's a plot of these two curves.

359686.png
    One curve is in blue, the other in orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

dlouth15 wrote: »
    I might be misunderstanding the question but I think what you are asking is what is the curve or curves for the implicit equation

[latex]\displaystyle{\left|xy\right|=\left|x\right|\left|y\right|=12}[/latex].

It looks like there are two curves for which the above equation is true.

[latex]\displaystyle{y=\pm12/x}[/latex]

Here's a plot of these two curves.

plot2.svg?_subject_uid=275419639&w=AAAlvZa7T9gqZkmFkkgyb07CTsIESyYzOM8_2bDzd0iHcg&dl=1
    One curve is in blue, the other in orange.

I think I may have misinterpreted the original question. What you have seems more like what they are asking.

Bingo! That's exactly what I was looking for - is it true that if you draw a 45 degree angle from the origin that you will cut the curve in half and the point of intersection will be the point where x=y which is also the square root of, say 12 in a y=12/x curve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Dughorm wrote: »
    Bingo! That's exactly what I was looking for - is it true that if you draw a 45 degree angle from the origin that you will cut the curve in half and the point of intersection will be the point where x=y which is also the square root of, say 12 in a y=12/x curve?
    Yes, at the intersection you will have the point [latex]x=\sqrt{12},\,y=\sqrt{12}[/latex] and also [latex]x=-\sqrt{12},\,y=-\sqrt{12}[/latex].

This is because if you make y=x, then y=12/y and therefore y^2=12. Since x and y are the same, x^2 = 12 too.

Yes, at the intersection you will have the point [latex]x=\sqrt{12},\,y=\sqrt{12}[/latex] and also [latex]x=-\sqrt{12},\,y=-\sqrt{12}[/latex].

This is because if you make y=x, then y=12/y and therefore y^2=12. Since x and y are the same, x^2 = 12 too.

Thanks again dlouth - this is actually really intuitive...it's great to marry the graphical and the algebraic reasoning like you have done there!

Advertisement