Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help recreating a shot?

Options
  • 18-06-2015 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm working on cover art for my band's second single, and we've agreed that a simple shot along these lines would work, and in some way reflect the meaning of the song:

352426.jpg

I just got that photo somewhere on Google, but we'd prefer to use the same shot except with the songwriter as the subject.

So I was hoping to get a bit of advice on how I might set up this shot so that I can reproduce it pretty much exactly as the one above!

I've done a bit of photography before – enough to be dangerous – so I can follow instructions I think :D I have a Nikon D3200 with the kit lens, but no equipment other than that.

Things I'm wondering... Should the room be pitch dark for this shot, or is that edited in afterwards? Would that be a natural light source (err... the moon? :D) or how would I light up part of his face? What aperture would I be using for this kind of shot? What kind of backdrop should I use?

If I sound a bit clueless it's because I've never done any portrait shots before!

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

If you've just the camera, kit lens and no off camera flash then it might be tricky. Assuming you would be doing this with on camera flash, I would try avoid using it as it will light his whole face and you'd have to find ways around that. I'd say you're best bet would be to shoot outdoors at night when it is quite dark and with nothing in the distant background. Given the time of year you can darken the exposure manually if you are doing it at a time at night when it is not pitch black out. Use a torch or a lamp and angle it to try and just light that half of his face.

It would be worth using a tripod and get him to sit so that neither move while trying this out. However this works out, you can darken the surrounding areas that may be lit in photoshop or another editing tool if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Bit of experimentation and could you replicate something pretty quickly.

- Would recommend using a longer lens (e.g. 85mm) if your kit lens goes to that..
    - Option 1 would be to try this at dusk or night time with a soft candle light or any lamp ...if using electric lights I would experimenting with hanging something infront of the light to diffuse it and take it's harshness away (e.g. anything see through such as a sheet or towel)..
    - Option 2 would be find an outdoor space like a barn (with a nice contrast between window and dark interior, using spot metering, on the face, and underexpose for the background).
    - Option 3 - Shoot a nice portrait in a space with good sight lighting on your subject (e.g. doorway or outdoors near some man made objects where you can get some nice lighting)..pop image into photoshop, process (pretty heavily) for a black and white look that you are after, pen tool around your subject, and replace with a black background...

Below is a shot I did a few months back as a bit of an experiment with option 3 (subject was front lit)..

16577184679_f9b7013ba4_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Dark room. Artificial light course. i.e. a desk lamp. Experiment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks guys. I think actually the light on my phone might work, covered up with some cloth. I tried it there using a bit of kitchen paper(!) over it, and while looking in the mirror I was able to get a nice soft bit of light on one side and darkness on the other.

It was a bit difficult trying to take the actual shot on myself though, so I think I'll need to experiment with the subject for that.

When I was trying to take it though I had a couple of problems. The auto focus didn't much like the darkness, so I presume it'll have to be a manual focus shot. And it'll also need to be long exposure! I have a vague memory of doing some 'light painting' in a photography class that I did – long exposure, and using torches, 'paint' parts of the subject. That technique might work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Dave! wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I think actually the light on my phone might work, covered up with some cloth. I tried it there using a bit of kitchen paper(!) over it, and while looking in the mirror I was able to get a nice soft bit of light on one side and darkness on the other.

It was a bit difficult trying to take the actual shot on myself though, so I think I'll need to experiment with the subject for that.

When I was trying to take it though I had a couple of problems. The auto focus didn't much like the darkness, so I presume it'll have to be a manual focus shot. And it'll also need to be long exposure! I have a vague memory of doing some 'light painting' in a photography class that I did – long exposure, and using torches, 'paint' parts of the subject. That technique might work here.

You are over thinking it. This is a relatively simple effect to achieve. Google 'low key photography' for a ton of tutorials. You can do this in a brightly lit room you just need one source of focused direct light - like sunlight shining through a window, or a table lamp. As described above - camera on manual - spot metering, and expose for the bright side of the face. You can diffuse the light source somewhat to get a softer transition from light to dark, using whatever you have available.

No need to be messing around with phones or a long exposure.

Thanks! There's lots of tutorials on low key photography, that's just what I was after.

Cheers.

Thanks for the help everyone!

This is what I got, and what we ended up going with... It's pretty much what we were after :) Decided it looks better in colour.

Give us an oul Like on Facebook ;)

https://www.facebook.com/lavelleband

355549.JPG

355548.jpg

Advertisement