Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private health insurance for EEA and non-EEA nationals

Options
  • 10-04-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I posted last month about moving to Ireland to study and bringing my non-EEA husband with me. I'm now quite clear about his visa but I'm confused about insurance and looking for some information.

I will be going to Ireland for a year to do a full-time Master's degree and my husband will accompany me. I'm British and he's Chinese and we currently live in China.

We will be applying for his visa under the EU Directive 2004/38/EC, which states that if the EU national (me) is studying, they must have "comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State". Additionally, Form EU1 (the application for his residence card which we will complete after arriving in Ireland and gathering the necessary documents) states that the EU national studying must provide a "letter from private health insurance provider".

I'm really confused about this because I have a European Health Insurance card (E111), and believe I would also be eligible to apply for an Irish medical card after I arrive. I also can't find any information on whether my husband will need private health insurance, although it makes sense that he would.

Could anyone help me with this? Am I really required to have private insurance, and would I need to get it before applying for my husband's visa and arriving in Ireland? And if so, should my husband and I be on the same insurance policy, or should he take out travel insurance from a Chinese provider (or must the provider by an Irish company)?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

nanasu5 wrote: »
    I'm really confused about this because I have a European Health Insurance card (E111), and believe I would also be eligible to apply for an Irish medical card after I arrive.

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I think you'll find that an E111 is not valid since you are taking up residence here not simply travelling from the UK on holiday or short term work assignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nanasu5

Thanks, Jim. That's true, but I contacted the HSE infoline and was told that with the E111 I'd probably still be covered for my year-long course even though three months is the standard period. I thought that after establishing residency (getting a rent agreement etc) I'd be able to apply for a medical card and would be eligible for public healthcare? I seriously doubt that all non-Irish EEA students have private health insurance...

Advertisement