Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnosing an issue: Internet down for desktop only

Options
  • 02-05-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hey, am trying to diagnose an issue for friend. I don't have access to his computer right now, but will do later, so I'm looking for a few ideas to try out when I get there.

Here's the issue as explained by him. His screen was artefacting badly and his driver kept on crashing (happened while watching a vid). He reasoned his GPU was dead (something with which I tend to agree considering it was 6 plus years old).

So he swapped out a generic GPU from another desktop. Now here's where the issue popped up: he cannot get his Internet to work with his PC. According to him all he did was swap out the graphics card. The net work appears as unknown in the list I believe (instead of UPCxxxxx). The rest of the connections in his house work fine (various wireless devices, etc). He swapped ethernet cable and ruled that out. No dice.

I told him to run a netsh winsock reset in the start menu and it threw this error (paraphrased off the top of my head) 11003 dll failed to start.

Any tips as to addressing this? I am going to bring a wireless key to see if he can get Internet wirelessly, but I doubt this will work given the issue is with the network on site (on the desktop), so he'll receive the signal but won't know what to do with it.

Advertisement